How much debt do you have including mortgage etc..

Replies

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    House and car paid.
    Gas, electric, water=about 200/mo. Phone, internet = 100. No cable by choice. Car gas, food, clothing =all on one credit card, paid each month = 4-500/ mo except Christmas=8-1000, pocket money=300/mo. Annual bills=car insurance, house insurance, house taxes, etc = 4000/yr.
    Gym membership=$10/mo.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    source.gif

Truth
  • mattig89ch
    mattig89ch Posts: 2,648 Member
    I have more in debt, then I do years on this earth. Though not by much.

I live with my parents, have a single car, and I live in the 3rd most expensive place in the continental USA. I don't even have a large enough nest-egg, to live on if I lost my job tomorrow. NY sucks folks, plain and simple.
  • kevinflemming1982
    kevinflemming1982 Posts: 158 Member
    Financially, none. But what I owe through being helped-out by my housemate, quite a lot.
  • mattig89ch
    bojack5 wrote: »
    mattig89ch wrote: »

I live with my parents, have a single car, and I live in the 3rd most expensive place in the continental USA. I don't even have a large enough nest-egg, to live on if I lost my job tomorrow. NY sucks folks, plain and simple.

I do agree NY is a crazy expensive to live.....but its also a place that pays crazy good too....

not in my experience.
  • mattig89ch
    edited July 2019

I do agree NY is a crazy expensive to live.....but its also a place that pays crazy good too....

not in my experience.

Fair enough.....i have no idea what you do for work, and everyone has a different experience. However, i will say the construction trades, especially the unions pay incredibly well, i have a few friends in the FDNY that all make 6 figures, i train a few teachers that make great salaries, and my own experience has been one of being able to move out of the projects in the Bronx and become a fairly successful businessman. I believe im quite a bit older than you and i didnt find my financial groove until my 30's.......so im hoping that you find that groove as well someday soon :)

I work in IT. There's such a huge pool of trained professionals here, they can pay pennies on the dollar for us. Though I will say, my dads in the union for cabinet makers. We can barely afford to keep the roof over our heads.
    mike_rom wrote: »
    I'm surprised anybody is on here actually answering :laugh: especially those who actually have a lot of debt.

I don't have debt other than my mortgage, but shouldn't some things stay personal?

They key is to be vauge. Notice my answer didn't actually give any numbers.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    mortgage and a small car payment. IMO, a mortgage is entirely worth it as you are acquiring an asset that will appreciate. The car is a necessity...I spend a lot of time in my car driving around 20,000 miles per year...need something both reliable and comfortable and enjoyable to drive. We use our CC for just about everything, but we pay it off every month...no CC debt.
  • Ketch_22
    Ketch_22 Posts: 12,708 Member
    edited July 2019

What do you do? if I can ask that, oops I just read your answer. I too was in IT in NYC (lived in NJ). IT is def vague. A person could be a print room jockey and still be "in IT". NY is one of the highest paid for IT. NJ has even higher property tax than NY so I left. Retired at 30 and living the dream in Maryland ;) house prices on my street are 600k so theres that
  • BasedGawd412
    BasedGawd412 Posts: 346 Member
    edited July 2019
    Debt
    Chase credit card $8000
    2015 Kia Forte $9500
    2012 Kia Sorento $9500

I got my credit rating from a score of 600 something to 755. I did have zero credit card debt at the beginning of the year but I took a vacation and work slowed down immensely right after.

Rent $550
    Electric $35 a month
    Gas $30 a month
    Water $50 a month (my landlord gets the bill, I'm sure he is cheating me)
    2015 Kia forte that's totaled $415 a month, 3 years left
    2012 Kia Sorento $223 a month, 4 years left
    Car Insurance $180
    Monthly subscriptions $200 a month
    Gas for vehicle $200 to $300 a month
    Food $400 to $600 a month

I live in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania which is cheap to live plus I travel for a living so I'm hardly home which is why my utilities are low.

I did buy two houses before, first one was 37,500 and second was 39,000. Each 3 bedrooms 2 bath and werent even fixer uppers.

• caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Rent $550
    Electric $35 a month
    Gas $30 a month

I live in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania which is cheap to live plus I travel for a living so I'm hardly home which is why my utilities are low.

I did buy two houses before, first one was 37,500 and second was 39,000. Each 3 bedrooms 2 bath and werent even fixer uppers.

Our water bill has a base fee of $27 and is $4/1000 gals after that. If yours is similar then $50 might not be unrealistic

Unless you travel all month 😁
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    I have ~80k left on the mortgage and will have this paid off in <2 years by our current plan. This remaining debt is intentional as shifting investments would not be wise. There is definitely something to being in debt that affects one's mindset and reinforces the slave/owner mentality.

Had no student loans personally and we paid off my wife's loan two years ago. I discovered Dave Ramsey a few years back, bought his book, his daughter's book, and have been teaching these principles to our kids. I'm in the process of becoming an adviser and opening up a pro bono service.

I just finished Chris Hogan's book "Everyday Millionaires" which is an amazing resource on how wealth is an output on behavior. This really puts many of the myths to bed on what wealth is and how to gain it. So many of these principles can be applied to weight management or any other process.

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Debt
    Chase credit card $8000
    2015 Kia Forte $9500
    2012 Kia Sorento $9500

I got my credit rating from a score of 600 something to 755. I did have zero credit card debt at the beginning of the year but I took a vacation and work slowed down immensely right after.

Rent $550
    Electric $35 a month
    Gas $30 a month
    Car Insurance $180
    Monthly subscriptions $200 a month

Dang...I'm in a smallish Missouri city that people say has one of the lowest COL in the US, and still you have me beat. Hard to find rent of $550 for even a one bedroom apartment, or a house under $50k that is liveable, and my small home is full electric but that's $125/month. Your $50 water sounds about right to me too, ours is $39.