How much debt do you have including mortgage etc..

Replies

• Danw586
    Danw586 Posts: 237 Member
    I live in CT with a stupid high COL. Even my electricity is 21 cents/kWh. A mid sized house here (3 beds) is about $500k with $12k/year in property taxes.

However, I do have a good job/income and am managing debt while investing a large portion of my income including maxing out my 401k.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    edited July 2019
    I have zero debt. Having come from cash economy countries prior to settling in the USA.

I co-rent with my sister and our sister friend, so my share are as follows as we go thirds for bills monthly, so my personal expenses are :

Rent- $877
    Water- $50
    Electricity - $50
    Bottled water - $15
    Gas - $10
    Trash - $11
    Cable/WiFi - $54
    HOA - $40
    Phone - $100
    Netflix family plan - $5
    Food - $200

Insurance and business expenses are deducted from and paid by my family trust/business.
  • Phoenixsunflr
    Phoenixsunflr Posts: 78 Member
    You guys are awesome thanks for sharing it makes me feel less alone and that everyone else is going through this too and some of you have managed to climb your way out of it which is inspiring. Those of you who are still in the game I feel ya.. keep grinding you’ll get through it.. remember every dollar counts as long as you’re chipping at it away.

I’ve heard of Dave Ramsey and have looked him up on YouTube . I think his methods are brilliant and he’s helped so many with his baby steps program!

And no I’m not a loan shark.. I wish I had that much money to loan to people but I don’t. I’m living as a minimalist right now and it is absolutely freeing but I do worry because I’m not making enough money to cover my basic expenses.. I’m breaking even every month. No debt yet not making enough 🤷‍♀️
  • Danw586
    You guys are awesome thanks for sharing it makes me feel less alone and that everyone else is going through this too and some of you have managed to climb your way out of it which is inspiring. Those of you who are still in the game I feel ya.. keep grinding you’ll get through it.. remember every dollar counts as long as you’re chipping at it away.

I’ve heard of Dave Ramsey and have looked him up on YouTube . I think his methods are brilliant and he’s helped so many with his baby steps program!

And no I’m not a loan shark.. I wish I had that much money to loan to people but I don’t. I’m living as a minimalist right now and it is absolutely freeing but I do worry because I’m not making enough money to cover my basic expenses.. I’m breaking even every month. No debt yet not making enough 🤷‍♀️

He also has a good podcast if you're interested. I listened to him years ago.

You've got this. Once you start, the success in paying off debt becomes addicting much like seeing one's body progress while losing weight or building a physique.
  • your_future_ex_wife
    your_future_ex_wife Posts: 4,278 Member
    No debt for me.

I worked in Hotels most of my life, learning the different departments along the way. 25 years ago I stumbled across a run down mountain lodge and restaurant near a National Park and convinced my 2 brothers to go in on it with me, as silent partners.

We bought it for a song and put every dime of profit into improvements for several years.

I worked 70-80 hour weeks for 12 years during which I dramatically increased occupancy, paid it off, upgraded nearly everything and sold it for much more than we had invested.

With my share of profits I bought rental houses and was able to comfortably retire in my early 50's.

I have always lived below my means and continue to do so now.

Love this
  • your_future_ex_wife
    your_future_ex_wife Posts: 4,278 Member
    Danw586 wrote: »

You've got this. Once you start, the success in paying off debt becomes addicting much like seeing one's body progress while losing weight or building a physique.
    I think there are some cool parallels between fitness and finances.
  • Danw586
    Danw586 wrote: »

I think there are some cool parallels between fitness and finances.

Definitely agree.

• Ketch_22
    Ketch_22 Posts: 12,708 Member
    Bottom line is no matter where you start... think outside the box. You will never be debt free just paying what you can and working at regular job. No one owes you anything; a living, a house or anything else. You get what you can afford.
  • mattig89ch
    mattig89ch Posts: 2,648 Member
    Ketch_22 wrote: »
    mattig89ch wrote: »
    I have more in debt, then I do years on this earth. Though not by much.

I live with my parents, have a single car, and I live in the 3rd most expensive place in the continental USA. I don't even have a large enough nest-egg, to live on if I lost my job tomorrow. NY sucks folks, plain and simple.

What do you do? if I can ask that, oops I just read your answer. I too was in IT in NYC (lived in NJ). IT is def vague. A person could be a print room jockey and still be "in IT". NY is one of the highest paid for IT. NJ has even higher property tax than NY so I left. Retired at 30 and living the dream in Maryland ;) house prices on my street are 600k so theres that

Fair enough. I have 2 degrees with computer networking, and I currently work in a Network Operations Center.

I'm currently applying to IT related positions in TX, TN, Kentucky, Penn., VA, & NC. We'll see if I get any call backs...I'm guessing no. I'm trying to move away from helpdesk related positions, but if they pay 60k a year (or 33 an hour), I'm turning in an application. Helpdesk or no.
  • Cutemesoon
    Cutemesoon Posts: 2,646 Member
    Zero credit card debt because I pay the balance in full every month.
    Car is paid for.
    Mortgage is super cheap & I pay extra towards the principle every month.
    I am proud to say that I finally paid off my student loans! 🎉🤗
    TL;DR-My mortgage is my only debt. 🏠
  • Tankiscool
    Tankiscool Posts: 11,105 Member
    I'm truly blessed.
    I got paid on Friday and didn’t even know it till I looked in my acount tonight. But i worked my *kitten* off to be this way, learning every step. Thats all I'll say.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,493 Member
    The monthly hush money expenditures are killing me.
  • queen4evr125
    queen4evr125 Posts: 20 Member
    Can the church say amennnnn !!!!! Lol !!! Debt doesn't happen in one day . Neither getting free of it will take one day. But diligently working on a debt resolution does pay off. Being an independent business owner my husband and I incurred some debt that we have now overcome.( hasn't always been easy but necessary !) Having a rocket scientist of a son at Vanderbilt and another living his dreams motivated us to get debt free as to be able to enjoy our latter years and enrich their lives one day when we are no longer here.
  • Ketch_22
    Ketch_22 wrote: »
    I have more in debt, then I do years on this earth. Though not by much.

I live with my parents, have a single car, and I live in the 3rd most expensive place in the continental USA. I don't even have a large enough nest-egg, to live on if I lost my job tomorrow. NY sucks folks, plain and simple.

What do you do? if I can ask that, oops I just read your answer. I too was in IT in NYC (lived in NJ). IT is def vague. A person could be a print room jockey and still be "in IT". NY is one of the highest paid for IT. NJ has even higher property tax than NY so I left. Retired at 30 and living the dream in Maryland ;) house prices on my street are 600k so theres that

Fair enough. I have 2 degrees with computer networking, and I currently work in a Network Operations Center.

I'm currently applying to IT related positions in TX, TN, Kentucky, Penn., VA, & NC. We'll see if I get any call backs...I'm guessing no. I'm trying to move away from helpdesk related positions, but if they pay 60k a year (or 33 an hour), I'm turning in an application. Helpdesk or no.

Best of luck on your search. Basic BS degree is really all that is necessary, hopefully you are getting your certs that's where your money comes in. Know your field; not sure how old you are or years in but 60k is entry level for sure. At that price you should be moving jobs every 2 years at most. Sadly, gone are the days of moving up within an org. Also gone are the pensions, and employer matched 401ks. My company had both luckily. Young people today need to invest to secure retirement. Without a plan... you plan to fail
  • lauragreenbaum
    lauragreenbaum Posts: 1,017 Member
    Zero, but I rent. When I got divorced 5 years ago my ex and I made quite a lot on selling our home (we lived in San Francisco where real estate is insane). With that, we paid off all debts and had some left over for a nice "rainy day fund." I paid off my car and since then have been debt free. I pay my credit cards off every month, and live within my means. It feels great. I highly recommend a financial advisor if you don't have one.
  • lauragreenbaum
    lauragreenbaum Posts: 1,017 Member
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    The monthly hush money expenditures are killing me.

LOL
  • Ketch_22
    Debt and credit scores are a racket. They don't mean anything. If I had to put a number on it though, like $348K

You know, the whole world is in debt anyway. Like, when you die...that debt...where does it go? Its just numbers then..bouncing around in a bubble of speculation.

Right? It's all in imaginary figures anyway. If all the databases went down tomorrow I wouldn't be in debt.

Actually, if you die and you plan to leave something to someone... ex life insurance they can't collect on the estate until the bills are paid. On a side note... if you leave no one anything then debts are absorbed and if you have no life insurance you will be buried. They don't just leave you in the street ;)