Is giving up strength training my best option?

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    JanetReyna wrote: »
    Looking at your pictures you are a very attractive woman. I don't think your glutes need to be bigger but that is only my thought. I can only say that sometimes the image we want is not something we can have. I want 6 pack abs but I will never get them. I base this off I tried like heck to get them in boot camp and if I could not get them there its not happening now. I guess my advice is maybe make the best of what you got because what you got looks pretty great. Or, maybe focus on something else and let it happen on its own. Either way I wish you the best. and good luck Janet. (friend and or message if you want)

Thank you. I really appreciate you! But still, I really want to better my body. I just thought with strength training it was possible to have big gluteus but I guess I was wrong. I don’t want small glutes anymore :(

Who told you it wasn't possible? And what do you consider big?
  • JanetReyna
    JanetReyna Posts: 291 Member
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Looking at your pictures you are a very attractive woman. I don't think your glutes need to be bigger but that is only my thought. I can only say that sometimes the image we want is not something we can have. I want 6 pack abs but I will never get them. I base this off I tried like heck to get them in boot camp and if I could not get them there its not happening now. I guess my advice is maybe make the best of what you got because what you got looks pretty great. Or, maybe focus on something else and let it happen on its own. Either way I wish you the best. and good luck Janet. (friend and or message if you want)

Thank you. I really appreciate you! But still, I really want to better my body. I just thought with strength training it was possible to have big gluteus but I guess I was wrong. I don’t want small glutes anymore :(

Well it’s not really much the glutes it’s also my hips because I think they’re so narrowed and agh I just wish I had a little more volume and shape and because of me genetics it won’t happen. I know I can look sooo much better but that’s why sometimes I wonder if maybe a little lipo in the hips will help a bit so I can have that shape I want. I love lifting weights but sometimes you can only do so much.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    AgentFlex wrote: »
    How long have you been lifting/doing strong curves? It literally takes years to build glutes (any muscle really) unless you are genetically blessed. The average I am seeing for women that have small glutes to really grow them is roughly 6 years. So if it is something you really want to do, then you need to be patient. Secondary to patience, what is your nutrition like? Are you eating at a calorie surplus with a high protein diet? You will need that too if you want to grow your glutes. It is a serious commitment to grow muscle and you will have to go through some fat gain as well to make it happen.

Maybe like 2 months with SC and I don’t count calories, I have a lot of stomach fat so I need to lose weight first. But I don’t want my small glutes to go away then I’ll be left with nothing :( 6 years is a lot omggggg :((

It takes 4-6 years to get a degree. You're not going to get a degree in 2 months. If you can stick with something in order to get a decent level of education to prepare for the future, why couldn't you do the same to keep fit?

This is such a great way to think of things!
  • JanetReyna
    Hey there! Well honestly both, I have so many fat, my goal is looking somewhat slim thick. When I lose weight, my butt and legs will be even skinnier , resuslting in me not liking my shape. I wouldn’t really want to consider surgery an option but I feel it’s my only option. I have a thread of my full body picture so you have understand me better (:

Well it’s not really much the glutes it’s also my hips because I think they’re so narrowed and agh I just wish I had a little more volume and shape and because of me genetics it won’t happen. I know I can look sooo much better but that’s why sometimes I wonder if maybe a little lipo in the hips will help a bit so I can have that shape I want. I love lifting weights but sometimes you can only do so much.

Just to be clear...

Are you discouraged because you think the results you want aren't possible, or that they will take longer to achieve than you'd like?

• JanetReyna
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I think you just have unrealistic expectations...the results that come with weight training don't happen overnight. People spend years working on their physiques.

The thing is I want rounder hips and bigger glutes and I don’t think those goals can happen with weights.
  • Alia_R
    Alia_R Posts: 410 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I think you just have unrealistic expectations...the results that come with weight training don't happen overnight. People spend years working on their physiques.

Not to sound harsh or anything, but this guy is right. Exactly how long have you been doing this program? How much effort were you putting into it? Don't expect muscles to grow just like that. They take time to develop and a lot of effort and the idea of weightlifting to better your body overall takes a lot of patience. You need to be patient. Setting unrealistic expectations will for sure set you up for big disappointments down the road.

You got this girl, you can do it! Keep trying, and believe you me, it'll be well worth it in the end. :)
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    You also have no idea how your body is going to respond to any weight loss. For many people, women especially... the hips are one of the LAST places they lose from.

Taking a step back and looking at the bigger picture...
    Do you think you're in a good place mentally for this? Perhaps your priorities should lie elsewhere...
  • HappyEC
    HappyEC Posts: 53 Member
    Keep going, keep working on that butt and it WILL pay off! I get your fear about losing weight and looking flat in those areas. In the past, when I lost weight through dieting alone, I looked thin but boring imo. I also have a non-round hip shape - little love handles, flat, then round again. But working at this (and shapewear!) has truly helped. Strength training will build your muscle, esp. with the right food! I honestly would have never even posted a reply had I not, just this morning, noticed for the first time that my bum is rounder - and lifted! From doing those squats, deadlifts, etc - building muscle is now my most important goal. I think you might have asked about this because you know in your heart that surgery isn’t a smart choice - and/or it feels to you like giving up, and that’s at odds with your character. You can improve your butt and reap the other rewards of strength training - just keep going.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    I think until you lose the weight you can not tell what your butt and hips will be like. Because you are carrying most of your weight around your middle it is making your hips and butt look smaller. But once the weight has gone you may find you look more in proportion and your butt and hips are not as small as you think they will be.

Why give up now? What have you got to lose by continuing with the lifting?

Hope you dont mind I copied your picture over so the other contributors in this thread can have a better idea of the issue you are concerned about.

Dont give up you will only regret it in the future.

a0f4nrm9x9aj.png