How do you nicely tell your partner to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• mermaidsgrave
    mermaidsgrave Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    1sphere wrote: »
    Cowsfan1 wrote: »
    egray0308 wrote: »
    That’s a super cute story. I thought I’d ask because a close friend of mine bf told her he wasn’t sexually attracted to her anymore because she let herself “go.” In a way I respect his honesty but in another way I see it as being mean and rude. I thought that would light her fire to make her start working out with me but it only made things worse. 😞
    That’s so hurtful. It would make me want to hide. And when I felt well enough to actually take care of myself it would be without him.

Just curious on this - yeah it’s f’d up thing to say - so in Lieu of saying it - if that’s how he’s truly feeling, should he just break it off ?? But then what if she ask why - should he be brutally honest or just make something up? To spare hard feelings “it’s not you it’s me” thing

If he’s feeling this way then he prolly truly doesn’t love her anyway right - cause if you love someone you take the good and bad right ? Or what we perceive as bad - not all perceive being overweight as bad ..

Anyway - I find this topic interesting- where’s @1sphere - what are your thoughts homie

I believe that it's fine for guys to have a preference. That's completely normal. But it's not okay to be rude and insulting all at once. That's like touching a hot iron and expecting a nice outcome.
    So if the guy would prefer if his partner lost a few pounds, I think he should suggest it in the sense of having an opinion; not in the sense that something is wrong with her. And yes, I think people need to bravely state how they feel and not keep quiet about it. If the woman does not appreciate his opinion, then that's probably the first sign that there is a lack of chemistry. My points are the same from man -> woman or woman -> man.
    You can always suggest things meekly instead of being a *kitten*.

I think the main issue here as that some people are so sensitive and defensive, especially when they already don’t feel great about their weight, that any way this is phrased they may flip their *kitten*. This is kind of a screwed if you do and screwed if you don’t, type of situation.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    PAFC84 wrote: »
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    My husband very kindly told me my weight was becoming an issue attraction wise but he never told me i had to lose weight.
    Because you can't. You can't make anyone do something.
    That being said, sounds like bigger issues are afoot.

And then the super athlete upside down in your profile pic? Or is that what you did to his body? Lol

i found something i love. that helps me with my other love-food
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    You don't. Its a quick way to ruin someones self esteem.
  • maureenseel1984
    maureenseel1984 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    By example? I mean...most of the time they know when they need to lose. You don't need to point it out. Lead a healthy lifestyle and beyond that it's not up to us.
  • cayenne_007
    cayenne_007 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    That’s a super cute story. I thought I’d ask because a close friend of mine bf told her he wasn’t sexually attracted to her anymore because she let herself “go.” In a way I respect his honesty but in another way I see it as being mean and rude. I thought that would light her fire to make her start working out with me but it only made things worse. 😞

Here's the thing - he's not encouraging her to get healthier or the 'you'd look even better if'. It's just 'I'm not attracted to you anymore' The relationship is over. She's not married to him, hopefully she will take care of herself and run like hell. He's an *kitten*.
  • Scottgriesser
    Scottgriesser Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Most people consider sex to be an important part of a lasting relationship. (not always)

Most people enjoy having sex with someone they are emotionally and physically attracted to. (not always)

Most people consider honesty to be an important foundation of a lasting relationship. (Always?)

Being honest is not necessarily rude. Just because the honesty is something someone doesn't want to hear doesn't make it rude. Being rude is rude. If he was a dick about it, then yeah he was rude. From what we've gotten, he was being honest and putting the ball in her court as to how to proceed. Is their emotional connection strong enough to survive the physical disconnect? We don't know. She can decide whether or not it is a relationship she wants to turn back into a physical attraction or not. Or if it would even work...

If I had to guess, regardless of if she "got back into shape" or not, they have also lost the emotional connection. Maybe not, but now that those words have been said, you cannot unhear them. Will be hard to continue the relationship with that rattling around in your head.

No one should stay in a relationship they are unhappy in. For any reason.
  • BasedGawd412
    BasedGawd412 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    That’s so hurtful. It would make me want to hide. And when I felt well enough to actually take care of myself it would be without him.

Just curious on this - yeah it’s f’d up thing to say - so in Lieu of saying it - if that’s how he’s truly feeling, should he just break it off ?? But then what if she ask why - should he be brutally honest or just make something up? To spare hard feelings “it’s not you it’s me” thing

If he’s feeling this way then he prolly truly doesn’t love her anyway right - cause if you love someone you take the good and bad right ? Or what we perceive as bad - not all perceive being overweight as bad ..

Anyway - I find this topic interesting- where’s @1sphere - what are your thoughts homie

I believe that it's fine for guys to have a preference. That's completely normal. But it's not okay to be rude and insulting all at once. That's like touching a hot iron and expecting a nice outcome.
    So if the guy would prefer if his partner lost a few pounds, I think he should suggest it in the sense of having an opinion; not in the sense that something is wrong with her. And yes, I think people need to bravely state how they feel and not keep quiet about it. If the woman does not appreciate his opinion, then that's probably the first sign that there is a lack of chemistry. My points are the same from man -> woman or woman -> man.
    "You already look great to me, but I keep thinking you have the potential to look even better!"

😆

Super back handed compliment.

No need to beat around the bush. Say what you mean, mean what you say.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    There is probably no easy way to have this conversation. It is such a sensitive issue. I feel that when you love someone that you will be accepting of small changes that happen with age, pregnancy, an injury, etc.

I don’t feel that it is ok to get with someone looking a certain way and then completely let yourself go and gain 50-100lbs and expect the same level of attraction to still be there. I don’t think it is a crime to want to be attracted to your partner either.

• BasedGawd412
    BasedGawd412 Posts: 346 Member
    Options

"You already look great to me, but I keep thinking you have the potential to look even better!"

😆

I know what you mean, but there's a big risk that you hurt someone's feelings, man to man you can be direct

Maybe that was a stupid phrase, and there could be something better to say...but it's point I was trying to make

Telling your significant other that you lost physical attraction to them will always hurt. It is what it is. Doesn't make you a jerk, azzhole, or some terrible human being.

• ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    sheloves89 wrote: »
    There is no nice way to "tell" your partner to lose weight. Telling someone to do something suggests you know better than they do, and that you're in a position of authority over their decisions. Partners have equal footing - there is no "telling" the other what to do.

Perfectly stated.

Using the "concern for health" ploy runs the risk of the other person coming back with, "Well I just saw the dr and all my routine tests are good so I'm healthy", especially at the lower end of the overweight spectrum and in younger individuals. Nor can you dictate what choices another person makes for or against their own health.
  • your_future_ex_wife
    your_future_ex_wife Posts: 4,278 Member
    Options
    You don’t. You can’t.... If your love for someone is determined by their weight gain or weight loss than its my opinion that you don’t deserve that person in your life, for you do not understand what love is.

My wife, who is a larger woman, is not always happy with her weight, yet she’s healthy. If and/or when she decides to use our gym, I will help her with what little guidance I can, but never EVER would I tell her she needs to lose weight. Fitness model or overweight.... makes no difference to me as long as she’s healthy and happy.

You’re married? I had no idea. I feel like saying congratulations for some reason. 😊😁❤️
  • cayenne_007
    cayenne_007 Posts: 668 Member
    Options

😆

I know what you mean, but there's a big risk that you hurt someone's feelings, man to man you can be direct

Maybe that was a stupid phrase, and there could be something better to say...but it's point I was trying to make

Telling your significant other that you lost physical attraction to them will always hurt. It is what it is. Doesn't make you a jerk, azzhole, or some terrible human being.

If you're not physically attracted to someone - and especially you're not married to them - then why on earth would you stay with them?

It would've been 10,000 times easier for me to process if my ex had the cojones to simply say he was finished with our marriage than it was to take the constant attacks on everything about myself. By being told there were things I had to change about myself to earn his love/approval - that's just cruel.

It makes a difference I guess if your friend has gained a significant amount of weight in the time they've been together in my perspective. I've never believed that it's right to let yourself change drastically and expect your partner to still want you..... (I'd hope they would, but still - I feel a responsibility to take care of myself.)
  • Danw586
    Danw586 Posts: 237 Member
    Options

I think the main issue here as that some people are so sensitive and defensive, especially when they already don’t feel great about their weight, that any way this is phrased they may flip their *kitten*. This is kind of a screwed if you do and screwed if you don’t, type of situation.

Your take on this on topic is spot on.