Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

FDA to intervene in wild CBD claims

NorthCascades
NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
If you want to watch a hippie's head explode, tell them that if CBD really cured everything, "big pharma" would have never let "them" legalize it. 😆

The company Curaleaf claims that it has developed products that can treat a slew of the most formidable conditions found in humans, including cancer, Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, depression, opioid withdrawal, chronic pain, anxiety, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). It also has products said to treat anxiety, pain, and diabetes in cats and dogs. (The product comes in bacon and salmon flavors.) And just one ingredient in all of its products is responsible for these remarkable medical breakthroughs: the cannabis-derived compound cannabidiol (CBD).

Sadly, those claims are not backed by evidence.

This week the Food and Drug Administration announced that it sent Curaleaf a warning letter for illegally selling unapproved drugs and making unsubstantiated treatment claims.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2019/07/a-cure-for-cancer-alzheimers-depression-fda-smacks-down-wild-cbd-claims/

Replies

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    The amount of eye rolling I do on a near daily basis about CBD, I swear....well you know, you're only 3ish hours north of me.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    I'm not sure how objective I can be about this, but I'mma try...

To what extent do semantics matter? For example... may treat vs can treat vs does treat?
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    aokoye wrote: »
    The amount of eye rolling I do on a near daily basis about CBD, I swear....well you know, you're only 3ish hours north of me.

CBD can cure eye rolling. 😉

Owning my "insightful" click ;)
  • richardsullivanu
    richardsullivanu Posts: 7 Member
    Can CBD in real terms do anything
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,702 Member
    A few people in my yoga class were talking last month about how they were giving their dogs CBD laced treats to help keep them calm during the 4th of July fireworks. I've been afraid to ask how it turned out. Hopefully okay.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    A few people in my yoga class were talking last month about how they were giving their dogs CBD laced treats to help keep them calm during the 4th of July fireworks. I've been afraid to ask how it turned out. Hopefully okay.

:noway:
  • cayenne_007
    cayenne_007 Posts: 671 Member
    I feel like CBD is the new coconut oil. A few years from now we'll be reading about how bad it is for us and how much it doesn't actually cure. Or maybe they'll just come out with CBD coconut oil as the super health supplement of 2020.

I totally agree with you.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    And might get some snake oil while I’m at it, if I can find it.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Can CBD in real terms do anything
    In some very specific cases, yes. For the most part, however - I don't know of many studies that have proven it to be helpful for much of anything.

There is an FDA approved drug called Epidiolex that is used to treat two different rare forms of epilepsy. From what I understand, the primary active ingredient is CBD. There have also been other instances of people using or trying to use CBD to treat epilepsy. There have been a number of stories written about about a girl who was then 5 years old whose parents successfully used a strain of marijuana that was very high in CBD and extremely low in THC to help control her seizures. There's a link from CNN here. She, mind you, wasn't the first child who had successfully been treated this way.

I wouldn't be shocked if it's found that there are other things that can be successfully treated with CBD, but that isn't really the market that various stores are targeting right now.

And that's kind of where I was going with my earlier comment.

Does it necessarily help/treat/cure? No.
    Can it help/treat? In some cases, for some people, there is evidence *suggesting* that it *can*.

Given that there doesn't seem to be any *significant* risk, the fact that there is suggestive evidence is meaningful. But like you said... these scenarios and these people and these markets aren't really what OP's post/company is targeting.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    https://www.fda.gov/news-events/public-health-focus/fda-regulation-cannabis-and-cannabis-derived-products-questions-and-answers

It's a bunch of snake oil & I foresee a bunch of market hype/BS; sell as much as possible as quick as possible because I am sure the FDA will intervene soon enough (might take a few years & possibly some more legislation).
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    BZAH10 wrote: »

I don't think the stuff is harmful in and of itself. I think the real danger is that people can think they're curing themselves and not seek actual medical treatment for something dangerous.

My vet gave me gabapentin for the cats for the 4th of July. I don't know why I thought the younger one wouldn't need it, but I found him hiding in the closet.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,636 Member

CBD can cure eye rolling. 😉

Owning my "insightful" click ;)
    I'll see your "insightful" and raise you one "inspiring" :p