Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

FDA to intervene in wild CBD claims

13»

Replies

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    My wife has Fibromyalgia. It's about 80% better than it was years ago, sometimes she doesn't even feel like she has it any more. We went through an entire lifestyle change, what most docs want to tell people with Fibro but know it will never happen. Well, we did it and it worked well.

She knows a ton of folks that take CBD Oil for the chronic pain with Fibro and many claim it helps them a lot. I bought some for her and she was like, "meh". Not much of an effect, but that's likely because she does everything else that she should - watch her sugar intake, not eat processed food, limit vegetable oils (so her Omega 3 ratio to Omega 6/9 is like 1 to 2), gets sleep (and puts down her devices at night), tries to move her body in gentle ways. CBD is huge in the Fibro community. She's had more pain reduction from Turmeric and for that matter really high quality Omega 3s and eating a Med Diet (plant based diets help a lot with chronic pain). I do think some want to believe it's a magic pill now that access to Opioids have been limited. But those I know also aren't likely to change anything else about the way they behave or eat and simply want that pill that's going to solve it for them.
  • KellyAnne999
    KellyAnne999 Posts: 2 Member
    CBD is in everything. I even have CBD brow gel, mascara, and lipgloss, all of which were GWP, not things I actually put forth my coin for. No clue how it’d be useful in those items, but here we are, I guess. Gotta milk the sneks for the oil while it’s hot.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    So, just to be semi on-topic, but maybe make y'all doubt my intelligence (even more than previously):

I am a person who likes N=1 experiments, in cases where there are a bunch of claims, but I'm pretty sure the thing in question has few risks. I try to keep an open mind, but a skeptical one.

Many of my friends were touting CBD oil for the joint pain of various types that's increasingly common in my demographic, so I decided to try it.

First, I tried the oral oil supplement for my knee pain. I can't see that it does anything at all. I've given it a fair chance. It tastes kind of bad, so you'd think I'd get some placebo effect for that alone, at least. But no.

Next, I tried the topical ointment. Early times with that one still, but as far as I can see so far, it has similar pain-relieving effect to any other ointment I rub in, i.e., I think it's the self-massage that's having a very limited and temporary effect ("feels good" ;) ), rather than the nature of whatever I happen to rub into the knee.

FWIW. Which is pretty little, I think.

Same here - several brands of pills and topicals did nothing for pain except for the slight possibility of some small benefit from self massage.

The pills made me a little sleepy, but not enough to actually help with sleep.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    But I have seen people suffering in the last few days of life and heard the Dr. say, I only wish we could get them some marijuana to help with the pain. I will be the first person in line to get cbd if that happens again, just in case it might possibly help.

End of life pain? Were all of these people allergic to morphine or something? Were they seeking care outside of conventional medicine?

I see marijuana proposed more for the management of chronic pain, where there are fewer good options available in the current environment given concerns about opioid usage, than for end of life pain management, which pretty much allows doctors to prescribe anything that manages the pain without actually killing the patient.

Sometimes, it might even kill the patient. And that's OK, too, at the end stage.

I'm not being kneejerk/facile here: The morphine dose increase I personally put in my husband's stomach tube in those last hours (he couldn't swallow) - at the on-call doc's direction - to manage pain, may've killed him. Or maybe it was just cancer-related organ shutdown. Either way, I'm completely fine with it.

The current anti-opiate rhetoric worries me a little. Some people truly need it, in massive amounts . . . even deadly amounts, sometimes. Diversion and alternatives (including marijuana) can be good for people who are going to live. At the end, some people need more.

Kudos to you for how you handled that sad situation at the time and afterwards.

After my experience with my grandfather and morphine at his end of life, when my partner's mother was prescribed morphine, I correctly surmised it what time to say goodbye.

I've received anti-benzo rhetoric. My (now retired) doctor used to fret at the potential for addiction when I asked for a refill. I had to remind him he was only giving me six pills a YEAR. Hard to get addicted at that rate.