Wake up call

Friday May 17th, (a date I'll always remember), the nurse at my GP practice gave me the news. I'm Type 2. To say I was upset is the understatement of the year. Shocked, and yes, I admit, tearful. Even seeing the words fills me with sorrow and shame. I'd been called back after my annual review, for a second blood test, as the reading was just slightly high. The nurse saw how shocked I was, and decided then and there, not to 'diagnose' me, but asked me if I thought I could do something to help myself? Of course, I knew the answer - lose weight and exercise. So, no meds just yet, but at my next review in August, I know I'll be prescribed Metformin if things haven't improved. So, my journey towards weight loss and fitness started the next morning. My daughter recommended MFP to me, and it's the best thing ever. I now record every morsel of food and drink (note to self, MUST start drinking water!), and record all exercise. In week one, I've gone from being a total couch potato, to walking (completed approx 3 miles the first week), and used my exercise bike 3 times, & the same the second. Not a huge amount, I know, but with 2 knee replacements, asthma, and just... well, being fat, I'm a bit proud of myself. Weighed myself yesterday morning, and I've lost exactly one stone. (I realise the weight loss will slow down now). Your stories are inspiring me. I have a long way to go, but if I can drop a couple of stones over the summer, I'll be on my way. Wish me luck!

Replies

• laceygaywilson
    laceygaywilson Posts: 330 Member
    Keep moving and grooving and you will watch the weight just fall off!!! You got this!!!!
  • Iamsimpleguy
    Iamsimpleguy Posts: 1,575 Member
    Welcome to MFP, Enter your food diary daily and keep tracking your calories, try to do small exercises. Keep active yourself. All the best!! Feel free to add me :)

For a Newbie check this link http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest
  • Lindyloo54321
    Lindyloo54321 Posts: 24 Member
    laceygaywilson and iamsimpleguy, thank you both for your words of encouragement. Since my first post, I've finally got round to setting my fitbit up. Tracking every move I make! Using the food diary as soon as I eat or drink anything is really helping me. Feeling very positive and determined!
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,572 Member
    edited June 2019
    Welcome to MFP! I hope this app and the community help you meet that health goal! Losing one stone is an impressive achievement! And you are right, the rate won't stay like that. Keep working at it, though. You can do this!

One of the best posts for getting started:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • Naturally_Monica
    Naturally_Monica Posts: 335 Member
    You have a lot to be proud of. And to take charge and make a change when it has to be done is inspiring too. Congrats on your loss.
  • Lindyloo54321
    Four weeks ago today, I got the dreaded Type 2 diagnosis. As mentioned in my first post, I'm now very determined to lose weight, AND try to get fitter too. Losing a stone in two weeks, though not sustainable, gave me the kick start I needed. I've managed to lose another 4 lbs since then. Two things have kept me focused- this MFP app, and reducing my carb intake. Reading the lovely comments on my post, as well as other posts is very encouraging. Thank you everyone!
  • Jamagato
    Jamagato Posts: 12 Member
    Great progress:) it’s a long tough journey but it’s not impossible. Whenever you feel like you want to give up, just remember who you’re fighting for
  • bc_gfx
    bc_gfx Posts: 1 Member
    After reading your intial post, it was great to read your progress post. Its people like you that is keeping me motivated. Keep up the good work and Lots of Luck to you!
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    I reversed my diabetes with lifestyle changes. It can be done.

You're doing a great job. Thanks for motivating me! <3
  • OkieGina
    OkieGina Posts: 126 Member
    You're off to an amazing start, @Lindyloo54321!!! Like someone else said, any time you start to get discouraged (something will ALL struggle with at times) - just remember why you're doing this. Keep up the good work and keep us updated on you progress!
  • Missy_68
    Missy_68 Posts: 1 Member
    I was also diagnosed 2 weeks ago. Struggling to find a hearty meal recipe that’s still healthy and will fill up my husband and son. Would love to hear from everyone with a few recipes.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Missy_68 wrote: »
    I was also diagnosed 2 weeks ago. Struggling to find a hearty meal recipe that’s still healthy and will fill up my husband and son. Would love to hear from everyone with a few recipes.

Veggie soups are great, and your son and husband could even put some add-ins with theirs, like cheese and a piece of bread on the side.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    You are doing an amazing job. I wish i would of worked on it to. Its a life change for sure. I'm on pills and insulin. I hate it. So use that as motivation you don't want it
  • Lindyloo54321
    You are doing an amazing job. I wish i would of worked on it to. Its a life change for sure. I'm on pills and insulin. I hate it. So use that as motivation you don't want it

Thanks Michael. My sister is T2 and has been for some years. She's still on Metformin, but is about to start on injections (Insulin I presume). I just don't want this, so that is indeed my motivation. Not easy is it? I can't recommend using a Fitbit enough, and also reading Dr Michael Mosley's books. I also watched an inspirational documentary, called 'Fixing Dad', about 2 brothers, who helped their dad reverse his T2. Highly recommended. Very best wishes to you - you're young enough to fight this!

• Lindyloo54321
    Missy_68 wrote: »

Hi Missy - the medical profession in the UK are slowly realising that T2 CAN be reversed, particularly if you're newly diagnosed. Not sure where you live, but try Googling Professor Roy Taylor and his Diabetes trial, and also Dr Michael Mosley. The more I read of their work, the more determined I am, that I WILL conquer my T2. The UK website, Diabetes UK offers lots of ideas, which may be of use to you. Good luck to you.
  • shunggie
    shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
    My Dad reversed his T2 with diet and exercise. His mother died of T1 when he was a kid, after seeing what she went thru, he would do anything to avoid it. It's been more than 20 years now, it's his way of life. It can be done, he'll be 83 in January. He doesn't walk every day since he had surgery a few years ago but still walks 3 or 4 days a week. Good luck and be proud of the work you've done.
  • Lindyloo54321
    shunggie wrote: »
    My Dad reversed his T2 with diet and exercise. His mother died of T1 when he was a kid, after seeing what she went thru, he would do anything to avoid it. It's been more than 20 years now, it's his way of life. It can be done, he'll be 83 in January. He doesn't walk every day since he had surgery a few years ago but still walks 3 or 4 days a week. Good luck and be proud of the work you've done.

Thank you for your kind words. I'm still mad with myself, for putting on so much weight in the first place, but hey ho. Well done to your dad - what an inspiration!! I struggle with walking a bit, due to having both knees replaced, but I'll think of your amazing dad, and keep going!

• Lindyloo54321
    Ten days since my last post, so I thought I'd give another update. On Thursday, I had another blood test. I won't find out the results until the 19th. However the Healthcare *kitten*'t at the surgery was very impressed that I'd lost so much weight. Today, I stepped on the scales, and to my delight, had lost a bit more. Since May 17th, I'm now 2.5 stones lighter (35lbs). I have a long way to go, but feel very relaxed about that - I'm going to achieve increased levels of fitness along the way, which is a huge bonus for this former couch potato. I'm the last person on the planet to give advice on food & fitness. All I will say, is that this site, plus using a Fitbit, along with reducing my carbs substantially, while eating much better quality meals, has given me the motivation to lose weight. Even if I DON'T reverse the T2 (I'm fairly confident it will), I'm continuing with my aim to become healthier. My clothes already fit much better, & some are too big!!
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 910 Member
    do you check your blood sugar regularly? if not, it really helps to see what's working well in real time. one thing i found by checking is that smaller meals more frequently kept my blood sugar lower than larger meals. also found that walking was more effective in lowering my blood sugar than exercise biking. things like that.

keep in mind that an A1C test shows several months of cumulative blood sugar, where a regular finger or thigh stick test shows what your blood sugar was 20 minutes or less ago. btw. i got a tester that required the smallest possible blood sample and got the blood from the side of my thigh, which is pretty much painless with a very small lancet.

if you already knew all of the above, sorry about that.

good luck, and you'll get there!