Wake up call

Options
2»

Replies

• Lindyloo54321
    Lindyloo54321 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    do you check your blood sugar regularly? if not, it really helps to see what's working well in real time. one thing i found by checking is that smaller meals more frequently kept my blood sugar lower than larger meals. also found that walking was more effective in lowering my blood sugar than exercise biking. things like that.

keep in mind that an A1C test shows several months of cumulative blood sugar, where a regular finger or thigh stick test shows what your blood sugar was 20 minutes or less ago. btw. i got a tester that required the smallest possible blood sample and got the blood from the side of my thigh, which is pretty much painless with a very small lancet.

if you already knew all of the above, sorry about that.

good luck, and you'll get there!

zebasschick, thanks for the info re the various blood tests. I definitely didn't know the difference, and was going to ask my nurse on the 19th. The only blood sugar test I've had (other than at my GP's practice) was at my sister's house (she's T2 too). She was amazed at how low my reading was (this was after I'd lost 1 stone, and taken around 2pm I think). Though I've read up quite a lot online about T2, there is so much I don't know. I really appreciate our NHS here in the UK. I've had nothing but excellent care, over the years.

Thanks again for your words of encouragement.
  • Lindyloo54321
    Options
    Well!!! Today was the day of reckoning - the results of my blood test. Absolutely delighted to be told by the nurse that I'm out of the range for full-blown Type 2 diabetes. She's adamant that you never 'reverse' it. However, my A1C test result has shown a drop from 51 to 41, so I'm technically in remission. The nurse was delighted with my progress, and I've managed to avoid going onto medication. The surgery will see me again in 12 months, to monitor my progress. Since my diagnosis on May 17th, I've lost 2.5 stones - or 33 pounds. I've followed a fairly low carb eating plan. Last week was slightly challenging, as I was in France. I did eat some foods which were over and above what I've eaten recently, but due to lots of walking, I only put on 1lb, which I've managed to lose. I'm now aiming to continue losing weight, albeit at a slower rate of 1lb a week, and continue ensuring I do some exercise every day. (Yesterday, I went roller skating for the first time in approx 34 years. At my age & weight, & with two knees replaced, it was a huge challenge, but I loved it!). My family have been SO supportive, encouraging me to use MFP (I'd never even heard of it before May), a Fitbit, a VERY useful book, & the Diabetes UK site, all of which have helped enormously. Thanks to all who've given me supportive replies on this forum.
  • JudyKenova4
    JudyKenova4 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello Lindy Lou, I sent you a friend request :-) I also am on the verge of becoming a type 2 diabetic. I am 41 years old and have 140 pounds to lose. I would love to be your friend on this journey :-)
  • Lindyloo54321
    Options
    Hello Lindy Lou, I sent you a friend request :-) I also am on the verge of becoming a type 2 diabetic. I am 41 years old and have 140 pounds to lose. I would love to be your friend on this journey :-)

Hi JudyKenova4 - received your friend request. Happy to accept, however, I'm away a lot in the coming months, so if I don't respond speedily, apologies in advance.

• Ssim1971
    Ssim1971 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    What an amazing journey you are on. Like you, I had to have a shock to get me into gear. I'm looking forward to reading more about you and how you go.

Thanks for sharing.
  • workoutmama2531
    workoutmama2531 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You are doing awesome and I am so proud of you. You have the right mindset and will achieve anything you work for🤗
  • Lindyloo54321
    Options
    Well, here we are, exactly a year since I was told that my T2 was in remission. Have I continued 'doing the right thing' regarding my healthy eating & exercise? In a word, no! Like many, during these difficult times, I've baked. A lot. And ate. A lot. I've gained the dreaded 'Covid stone' - actually no, it's closer to one & a half stones. That's 21lb. It's no good beating myself up - I've just got to resume my healthy eating (I ban the D for diet word) & start moving more again. Wish me luck - I know it'll be a bumpy ride! Hope everyone else trying to 'reverse' their T2 diagnosis is keeping well. I'm off to prepare a salad for my lunch.
  • 1poundatax
    1poundatax Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    This is a journey- you did a great job and I know you can do this again!