13»

Replies

• tec9goo
    tec9goo Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    tec9goo wrote: »
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Okay, I HAVE to ask.....only because it’s literally my favorite food. Have you fully mastered the protein fluff ice cream? When done right, it’s so delicious and satisfying that it’s hard to imagine not liking it.

Yea the xantham gum taste isnt a go for me

Just how much Xanthan Gum are you adding?

4g
  • tec9goo
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Please don't use that much cinnamon, particularly cassia cinnamon (the most common type), or encourage anyone else to do so. In the small amounts people usually use (teaspoon or so, probably), it's considered harmless. In larger amounts (0.6C is a very large amount), there are potential risks. This is from WebMD:
    Very high quantities of cassia cinnamon may be toxic, particularly in people with liver problems. Because cinnamon may lower blood sugar, people with diabetes may need to adjust their treatment if they use cinnamon supplements. An ingredient in some cinnamon products, coumarin, may cause liver problems; but the amount of this compound ingested is usually so small that this wouldn’t happen for most people. Given the lack of evidence about its safety, cinnamon -- as a treatment -- is not recommended for children or for women who are pregnant or breastfeeding.

Note that coumarin is a blood thinner.

https://www.webmd.com/diet/supplement-guide-cinnamon

So could you potentially lose an unhealthy amount of weight by overdosing on cinnamon? As you guys know, I've lost more than I wanted... could this be why??
  • tec9goo
    Options
    Okay, I HAVE to ask.....only because it’s literally my favorite food. Have you fully mastered the protein fluff ice cream? When done right, it’s so delicious and satisfying that it’s hard to imagine not liking it.

When you do add xanthan, it’s like a quarter teaspon, I don’t even taste it, but I use Quest powder and don’t need it. It whips into soft serve with just ice and almond milk.

Do you use a blender or food processor or the hand mixer?
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options

4g

4g of anything is usually much more than 1/8 of a tsp. 1/8 of a tsp of xantham gum weighs 1/4 of a gram, I believe. You gotta work on your measurements, my friend!

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,431 Member
    Options
    Please don't use that much cinnamon, particularly cassia cinnamon (the most common type), or encourage anyone else to do so. In the small amounts people usually use (teaspoon or so, probably), it's considered harmless. In larger amounts (0.6C is a very large amount), there are potential risks. This is from WebMD:
    Very high quantities of cassia cinnamon may be toxic, particularly in people with liver problems. Because cinnamon may lower blood sugar, people with diabetes may need to adjust their treatment if they use cinnamon supplements. An ingredient in some cinnamon products, coumarin, may cause liver problems; but the amount of this compound ingested is usually so small that this wouldn’t happen for most people. Given the lack of evidence about its safety, cinnamon -- as a treatment -- is not recommended for children or for women who are pregnant or breastfeeding.

Note that coumarin is a blood thinner.

https://www.webmd.com/diet/supplement-guide-cinnamon

So could you potentially lose an unhealthy amount of weight by overdosing on cinnamon? As you guys know, I've lost more than I wanted... could this be why??

No. Cinnamon doesn't create weight loss magic. (That's not the implication of the diabetic/insulin comment in the side effects.)

If you've lost more than you wanted, it's about calorie estimation (the so-called calculators can be inaccurate for some), or some aspect of tracking (you're more active than the settings you used, for one example among many possibilities). If you're losing too fast, eat enough more so that you don't lose too fast: Simple.

What excessive cinnamon potentially can do is cause permanent and serious liver damage (among other possible side effects). You need your liver. If your liver is damaged, bad things can happen . . . early death, even. Excessive amounts of cinnamon are potentially poisonous.

Do not eat excessive amounts of cinnamon. Do not encourage others to eat excessive amounts of cinnamon.

Small amounts are fine. (Many things are fine in small doses, but poisonous in really unusually large amounts. Periodically, people even drink so much water that they die from it on the spot. It's not a good plan to eat/drink unusually large amounts of anything, without considering the possibility that it could cause problems!)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options

4g

4g of anything is usually much more than 1/8 of a tsp. 1/8 of a tsp of xantham gum weighs 1/4 of a gram, I believe. You gotta work on your measurements, my friend!

To be fair, I believe I have seen recipes that have called for 4 g.

I just measured out 4 g and it was about 1 teaspoon.

@tec9goo try again with 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon.
  • tec9goo
    Options
    Bump for more ideas! Thanks!
  • tec9goo
    Options
    https://www.cinnamonvogue.com/cinnamon_side_effects.html

#8 could that be why my workout endurance/stamina and also strength has gone bad/worse? As you know I eat a lot of cinnamon in the oatmeal which is right before working out
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,431 Member
    Options

#8 could that be why my workout endurance/stamina and also strength has gone bad/worse? As you know I eat a lot of cinnamon in the oatmeal which is right before working out

Liver failure (#3) also impairs performance.

Really: Stop eating this ridiculous amount of cinnamon. It can be extremely bad for you.

Sure, maybe it won't hurt you. But why on earth would you take that risk?

SMH.
  • tec9goo
    Options

Liver failure (#3) also impairs performance.

Really: Stop eating this ridiculous amount of cinnamon. It can be extremely bad for you.

Sure, maybe it won't hurt you. But why on earth would you take that risk?

SMH.

I stopped Haha. I found a new recipe. Not high in volume but oh well :/ for the health of it