Flipping grapefruit

2»

Replies

  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    It may be heresy, but I like the pink grapefruit sections in a big jar. Del Monte. Unfortunately 90 calories per cup.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 664 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    TrishSeren wrote: »
    Grapefruit can stop some medication from working like antidepressants, statins, birth control so just an FYI.

    Worse yet, it makes some meds work more quickly, or have a more extreme effect. If it's a drug that has a narrow range of therapeutic dosage vs. dangerous overdose, that's a big, big deal.

    If you're eating grapefruit, and taking prescription drugs, make sure your drugs aren't among these problem ones.

    My meds are like this. I asked my doctor if I could reduce my dosage and eat grapefruit every day, but he shot me down. This is also true for carambola (starfruit) and large amounts of pomegranate (like drinking a glass of the juice), so it pays to triple check that you're not about to poison yourself with fruit.
  • HereToLose50
    HereToLose50 Posts: 154 Member
    Cut it in half and roast it. Amazing flavor
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    TrishSeren wrote: »
    Grapefruit can stop some medication from working like antidepressants, statins, birth control so just an FYI.

    Worse yet, it makes some meds work more quickly, or have a more extreme effect. If it's a drug that has a narrow range of therapeutic dosage vs. dangerous overdose, that's a big, big deal.

    If you're eating grapefruit, and taking prescription drugs, make sure your drugs aren't among these problem ones.

    Interesting! Didn’t know it could also do that!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 25,701 Member
    Slasher09 wrote: »
    This post is making me miss grapefruits. Yay adult onset food allergies!

    Have you tried pomelo? They look like grapefruits on steroids. I only see them in my supermarket Dec - Mar ish.

    DSC27143.jpg

    It is in the citrus family, so disregard and sympathies if you are allergic to all citrus.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pomelo
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 25,701 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    I use grapefruit in SE asian pomelo salads. This involves the painful step of removing pith with a knife and cutting out segments. In the recipe below omit the oil and frying of shallots and just buy those ready fried shallots or onions that are used for Thanksgiving bean casseroles.
    https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/pomelo-salad-with-chile-lime-peanuts-and-coconut

    I think I'd just use scallions since I have them in the garden.

    Love Thai food - thanks for the recipe!
  • durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 496 Member
    I *love* grapefruit and peel it/eat it like an orange. Is it just me or are grapefruit tastier in the winter?
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 6,658 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    acpgee wrote: »
    I use grapefruit in SE asian pomelo salads. This involves the painful step of removing pith with a knife and cutting out segments. In the recipe below omit the oil and frying of shallots and just buy those ready fried shallots or onions that are used for Thanksgiving bean casseroles.
    https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/pomelo-salad-with-chile-lime-peanuts-and-coconut

    I think I'd just use scallions since I have them in the garden.

    Love Thai food - thanks for the recipe!

    I also just toast chopped roasted peanuts in a dry pan. No need to deep fry either the scallions or peanuts if you are a lazy cook who hates that kind of cleanup.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 6,658 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Slasher09 wrote: »
    This post is making me miss grapefruits. Yay adult onset food allergies!

    Have you tried pomelo? They look like grapefruits on steroids. I only see them in my supermarket Dec - Mar ish.

    DSC27143.jpg

    It is in the citrus family, so disregard and sympathies if you are allergic to all citrus.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pomelo

    A grapefruit is actually a cross between a pomelo and an orange. Pomelos have a short season, so I use grapefruits in recipes calling for pomelos out of season.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 25,701 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Slasher09 wrote: »
    This post is making me miss grapefruits. Yay adult onset food allergies!

    Have you tried pomelo? They look like grapefruits on steroids. I only see them in my supermarket Dec - Mar ish.

    DSC27143.jpg

    It is in the citrus family, so disregard and sympathies if you are allergic to all citrus.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pomelo

    A grapefruit is actually a cross between a pomelo and an orange. Pomelos have a short season, so I use grapefruits in recipes calling for pomelos out of season.

    Yes, your recipe sounds like a great summer dish, and pomelos are out of season this time of year where I am, so I will try with grapefruit.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 25,315 Member
    edited August 2019
    Cut it in half and roast it. Amazing flavor

    If you like things spicy, try adding a Jamaican-style hot sauce (with allspice, nutmeg and such) to that: Fabulous with grapefruit.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 996 Member
    Grapefruit gets cut in half and eaten with grapefruit spoon in my house. I love grapefruit, that spoon lets you scoop every last bit of flesh and juice very easy and quick. No hassle. I love all citrus fruit, but didn't like pomelo, i thought it was too inferior to grapefruit, too thick of a skin, barely any glesh inside and not nearly as flavorful. Maybe it wasn't the best specimen?
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 452 Member
    apullum wrote: »
    Neither grapefruits nor the grapefruit diet do anything special for weight loss.

    true - but they taste great :)

  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,582 Member
    edited August 2019
    It may be heresy, but I like the pink grapefruit sections in a big jar. Del Monte. Unfortunately 90 calories per cup.

    I love it, too. I buy the individual servings. 190ml, lightly sweetened. 90 cals of sheer deliciousness without all the fuss!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 25,701 Member
    It may be heresy, but I like the pink grapefruit sections in a big jar. Del Monte. Unfortunately 90 calories per cup.

    I love it, too. I buy the individual servings. 190ml, lightly sweetened. 90 cals of sheer deliciousness without all the fuss!

    Ya, my OH likes the Del Monte Citrus Salad. Lightly sweetened - the sugar boosts the calories to 70 per half cup.