BMR seems like a wild guess to me

Options
jim_pipkin
jim_pipkin Posts: 82 Member
edited July 2019 in Food and Nutrition
At 6-foot-1 and 309lbs, with daily one hour workouts that include 3000 hip abductors, 1000 pelvic lifts, plus weight training...and a warehouse job that keeps me on my feet tossing boxes 6-8 hours every weekday, I should be able to eat 2200 calories a day and lose weight. NOT. If I go over 1600 GROSS calories in a day, I gain weight. After nine months I am down 115 pounds, but my body is seriously fighting back. Last week I needed a 36-hour fast to drop weight, this week it looks like the same. Will I have to live on less than 1600 calories the rest of my life?

Replies

• jim_pipkin
    edited August 2019
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    How are you determining your calories? Do you weigh solid food and measure liquids? Chances are that you are eating more than you think - it seems very unlikely that a 6-foot-1 very active male would gain weight on anything over 1600 calories. I would look at the logging accuracy first.

I weigh and measure everything - thus my confusion. But also the pace of my weight loss is no doubt a factor, dropping 3lbs a week for 38 weeks is not sustainable, and not what I'm shooting for - but after nine months, even a half pound loss per week requires drastic calorie cuts.

[MFP mods fixed the quote]
  • jim_pipkin
    edited August 2019
    Options
    eta: After 9 months of aggressive dieting you may benefit from a diet break (eating at maintenance for a period of time). Check out this thread - the first couple of pages are most informative.

My problem is whenever I try "maintenance" levels, my weight shoots up several pounds in a few days. I don't want to lose the ground I've gained, so I stopped doing that.

[MFP mods fixed the quote]
  • jim_pipkin
    Options
    Thanks for all of the solid advice, everyone - a lot of this is simply my own impatience. Once I started getting all of this excess weight off, I wanted it GONE...but it will take more time.