BMR seems like a wild guess to me

2»

Replies

• jim_pipkin
    jim_pipkin Posts: 82 Member

YES...and thank you! Excellent resource, I signed up for the regular emails. Much appreciated!
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Everyone seems to know all the scientific stuff. I don’t. But I do know this. Every time I severely cut calories, I lose about 10 pounds in a very, very short time. Every time I go back to higher calories after a while on fewer calories, I gain about 10 pounds in a very, very short time. Then my weight levels out.
  • jim_pipkin
    NovusDies wrote: »
    jim_pipkin wrote: »

Sustainability will not come with overreaction and overcompensation. You have to trust the process and find a lane and stick with it unless/until there is no choice but adapt.

I know my impatience is my biggest obstacle at this point, TRYING to trust the process.
  • jim_pipkin

You have all this energy and you have gotten yourself addicted to the progress.

Exactly. I have to throttle back, keep the workouts going, and increase my calories to a sane level - which means I can expect a bump in the short term, but should start seeing steady progress once my body figures out we're not in a Gulag.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    dewd2 wrote: »
    "

FWIW - focusing on single muscle exercises will eventually lead to an imbalance which can lead to injury. Be careful.

Good luck.

Was thinking about this last night. I just skipped right over it as I was reading these posts yesterday, but last night in aerobics class as we worked every part of our legs, I realized how unbalanced 3000 abductors and no other leg exercises is.
    Just thought it was worth another read and some thought.
  • jim_pipkin
    There is a huge problem with what you are posting. Unless you are in a coma you are burning considerably more than your BMR every day. My BMR is only around 1100 calories yet I maintain on closer to 1500 calories BEFORE I add my intentional exercise calories.

Yet this has been the case. My doc says I restricted my calories too much chasing weekly scale results, instead of being patient and just trusting the math. Others have helped me see this as well. I have started raising my calories this week after my doc advised me to do this, and to expect a weight bump as my body adjusts.

• jim_pipkin

I realized how unbalanced 3000 abductors and no other leg exercises is.
    Just thought it was worth another read and some thought.

The best exercise anyone can do...is one that they will DO. I am gradually working more things into cardio, like ellipse and HIIT sessions, but the abductors have greatly increased my endurance over the past few months.

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited August 2019
    There is a huge problem with what you are posting. Unless you are in a coma you are burning considerably more than your BMR every day. My BMR is only around 1100 calories yet I maintain on closer to 1500 calories BEFORE I add my intentional exercise calories.

Yet this has been the case. My doc says I restricted my calories too much chasing weekly scale results, instead of being patient and just trusting the math. Others have helped me see this as well. I have started raising my calories this week after my doc advised me to do this, and to expect a weight bump as my body adjusts.

That bump may not even happen and if it does it should be very temporary like 3-4 days. I definitely would not expect it to last longer than 8 days.

What will change is how often you see a new low weight and how short-lived it may be before you uptick again. If you view your weight loss over a larger period of time though you should be quite satisfied with your progress. I still lose 8-9 pounds a month which is not too shabby. It is less than when I started but so am I. I am not sure how I will feel when that drops to 4 pounds a month as I get closer to my goal range but I am sure I will adjust.
  • jim_pipkin

Have you considered doing squats?

Previous injuries limit my ability to do this until I shed another 50 pounds, but I see your point. I'm dealing with a battered old body that has issues with broken bones, atrophied joints, and an old belly injury that almost killed me a couple of years ago. I do what I can.