Women 200lb+, Let's Have an Amazing August!!!

Options

Replies

• IsETHome
    IsETHome Posts: 386 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Terytha wrote: »
    IsETHome wrote: »
    mamaofscj wrote: »
    Feel free to add me, always looking for more support and motivaters!

Getting back on track after falling off tends to be my issue. I know how to lose the weight, I’ve done it before, so I can do it again. MFP helped me lose 50lbs 7 years ago, kept it off for a year...but have slowly put it back on.

7 years ago 180lbs
    April 2019 SW 230 lbs
    CW 219 lbs
    GW 200 lbs (then 180 lbs)

August goals:
    Log everything
    Get 30 mins of exercise minimum 5 days a week
    Get to 215 lbs on the scale

I'm told (by a mentor of mine recently (athlete who has run for decades), that the first 30 minutes doesn't really burn the fat, but you have to add 30 after that at least) - to jolt the system even more. I'm planning a longer water jog, if you want to see more results, try to up the 30 minutes. Maybe 1 hour 4 times a week. Just a thought.

Nope. Your body burns fat when you're in a deficit, not because you're running. Whether you run for five minutes or fifty, or zero, only that deficit matters.

Going longer will use up more calories and can create a bigger deficit, but the first 30 minutes aren't somehow magically ignored.

We will have to disagree somewhat. I'm not saying you can't burn in a general deficit, I'm saying during training, 30 minutes really won't cut it and your body starts to actually take energy from your stores past that. I for example, do not have a lot of calories to work with, so I will have to turn up the training.
  • IsETHome
    IsETHome Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    cmsavells wrote: »
    sweetirish wrote: »
    Can I share this here? 258 to 238. I know I have lost weight but I feel like it doesnt really show.

8ypfzoatmrez.jpg

Is this the same shirt? I see less roundness in the belly area.

No, different shirt. Before on the left, after on the right.

I don’t know if there is any proof behind this, but somebody told me it takes 20 lbs before you notice a difference, 30-40 lbs before your family and close friends see a difference, and 50-60 lbs before people who see you less often notice a difference.

Personal experience - I started at 268. I was probably at 245 when my pants really felt big. I was at 225 when a choir member who I see twice a week asked if I was still going to the gym. He honestly thought I looked no different. I had to tell him I was down 40 lbs. He thought I was making it up.

Bottom line - you will know and feel the difference - in your clothes and your endurance at the gym. At 268, I lasted 2 minutes on the elliptical. Now at 208, I can go 15+ minutes no problem!!

Hang in there!! You’re doing great!

Connie in KY

This is why we don't notice when it creeps up, and others don't notice when it creeps down. I hadn't seen someone in a year, and they were like - oh you lost a little weight - I'm like ya a little (over 40 actually, but I didn't say how much).
  • davisagolding
    davisagolding Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

This is my first time here. I am so excited to find another group to help with support and motivation.

SW: 257
    CW: 232
    GW: 190

My goals:
    *Get a bunch of doctors test completed by the end of the month because I was diagnosed with diabetes back in April. I need to have my eyes checked, cholesterol, my blood sugar levels, etc.

*I work from home so I usually cook most of the meals, which I love, but now I have to learn a new way of cooking -Low Carb and Keto. I have tried a few recipes, some good some not so good. My goal this month is to expand my knowledge on cooking and baking in a new way.

*July was a crazy month with vacations and such so my exercise schedule was thrown out the window. August will be spent getting that schedule back on track!

Have a good month everyone.

Lisa

Lisa welcome to the group. You got this.
  • Smiles1952
    Smiles1952 Posts: 49 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    :)
  • davisagolding
    Options
    cmsavells wrote: »
    I got to the point where I had to get new bras. I’m really picky and struggle to find what I like. I went to Lane Bryant because I’ve been a DDD forever, and I had $100 in gift cards from last year. So I go in, grab some I think will fit and head to the dressing room. On the way the sales clerk asks if I want to sign up for the giveaways they are having, next prize is 5 pairs of panties. I’m thinking OK, I need new ones. I’m trying on bras and suddenly I hear my nearly 16 year old start yelling “that’s my mom. Connie is my mom.” Clerk verifies I’m in the dressing room and brings my coupon for a free bra. I’m thinking it will be an inexpensive lounge bra, but no, it’s any bra up to $80!! I yell for my daughter to find me some new clothes in a 22/24. I start trying them on and have to send her for 18/20s.

I am so psyched!! Free bra and clothes smaller than I thought!! Loving this NSV!!

Connie in KY

That's awesome!! Congrats. Sounds like a fantastic afternoon
  • kristenwhite336
    kristenwhite336 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    SW: 260
    CW: 222
    GW: 180

I’ve hit a weight loss plateau for the last 6-7 weeks, so I took the last week off to hopefully reset and jump back into my weight loss routine. Goals for this month would be to track daily, exercise 5 times per week and lose any weight to break through this plateau 😊
  • sweetirish
    sweetirish Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    Came close to going to buy cheese popcorn at the pharmacy tonight because the craving was so strong. I decided to wait until morning to go pick up my prescriptions and I'll use the drive thru. First time I've had cravings like that since starting here 2 months ago. Dodged a bullet. 😀

I think you handled that well. I get daily cravings and I very rarely give in because I know it's a craving and not a real hunger. That being said, I get stronger cravings under stress and it's way harder to avoid these days. Hubby's grandfather passed away Friday and I'm stressed because we're newlyweds and I've never had to deal with this kind of thing before and he and his family are reacting WAY differently than how my family handles death and it's bizarre to me. So I gave in to my chocolate cravings.
  • sweetirish
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

This is my first time here. I am so excited to find another group to help with support and motivation.

SW: 257
    CW: 232
    GW: 190

My goals:
    *Get a bunch of doctors test completed by the end of the month because I was diagnosed with diabetes back in April. I need to have my eyes checked, cholesterol, my blood sugar levels, etc.

*I work from home so I usually cook most of the meals, which I love, but now I have to learn a new way of cooking -Low Carb and Keto. I have tried a few recipes, some good some not so good. My goal this month is to expand my knowledge on cooking and baking in a new way.

*July was a crazy month with vacations and such so my exercise schedule was thrown out the window. August will be spent getting that schedule back on track!

Have a good month everyone.

Lisa

Don't give up on the low carb baking - at first it can suck because textures are different and timing is different...a lot of the low carb recipes use ingredients similar to gluten free recipes and it took me a long time to get used to the textures of the batter/dough and final product. It's getting easier though. Play with recipes to get consistency you're used to.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    @sweetirish

I'm sorry for your loss. ❤
  • sweetirish
    Options
    SW: 260
    CW: 222
    GW: 180

I’ve hit a weight loss plateau for the last 6-7 weeks, so I took the last week off to hopefully reset and jump back into my weight loss routine. Goals for this month would be to track daily, exercise 5 times per week and lose any weight to break through this plateau 😊

I always change my macros when I hit a stall like that and switch up my exercise routine. Last stall was about 8 weeks and I finally added weights and increased my calories and protein and broke through the stall with 4 pounds in a week.
    *note to self - time to do it again.
  • cjays2019
    cjays2019 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm ready for August! I'm ready to loose about 5 lbs and celebrate the small victories!

SW: 270
    CW: 268
    GW: 250 (I'm starting my goals small that way this journey isn't so intimadating)

Goals for August:
    Walk outside for 30 minutes 5x/week
    15 minute workouts inside with 5lb dumbbells (I don't have access to a gym right now)
    Cut back on soda/drink tons more water
    Not to loose focus because of one bad day like I have in the past
  • Smiles1952
    Smiles1952 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I had to adjust my starting weight from 231 to 230 as of 8/1/2019. I lost 2.3 lbs this week. It was a different type of week with a small oral surgey and a retirement party for a friend with a sit down dinner. I was only able to go to water arobics once, no reformer pliates but did a nice walk over the weekend. With all that past me time to get back into my routine before week vacation starting 8/21/2019.

SW: 244 6/18/19
    CW: 227.7
    GW: 160

My short term goals:

Do not obess over the scale. Weigh on Monday morning only! Enjoy the non scale victories (NSV).
    Log my food daily.
    Arobic exercise 5 times a week and reformer pilates 2 times per week.
    Weigh 225 by August 31.
  • davisagolding
    Options
    JeBeBu wrote: »
    Hi, all! I started out strong but let stress derail me when my husband lost his job a little over a month ago and a large family event loomed around the corner in which it was time to tell my parents about my transgendered child! Husband is still unemployed (😖) but my family fully embrassed their grandchild (🤗)!
    So...with summer break winding down and returning back to work, I need to get back into a routine!
    SW:206 (highest weight 250)
    GW: 160
    Goal for August: Onederland!
    I need to focus on consistent logging! Also, I will continue my 3x week fitness classes, but will jump on recumbent bike in my office for quick pick-me-ups during the school day!

You are on a good run there just keep it up. Hubby will get a job soon. Congratulations on everyone accepting your child's decision to be themselves. 🤗

Blessings to your family.
  • JeBeBu
    JeBeBu Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    @davisagolding Thank you for your kindness and support!🤗