Over 40 - Christmas Challenge

Options

Replies

• SWC54
    SWC54 Posts: 14
    Options
    Just found you guys...am I too late to join up?I think I really need this challenge.
    I am 54, married, Mom to 3 grown sons. I work part time and
    have been training for the Avon Walk in NYC in October. I was just diagnosed with a foot injury which has sidelined
    me and my efforts and totally bummed me out. Spent past week sitting on the couch watching Project Runway re-runs, bemoaning my fate. Totally afraid to weigh myself.

Goal for Christmas: 150 lbs.
    Goal for week ahead: honestly track my food on MFP
    Weigh in...Monday August 29 (Think i am around 170)

Sound OK? love to join you--Suzann
  • _gwen
    _gwen Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Guess what I did? I turned around!!!

How perfectly awesome! I'm impressed with your instinctive reaction.

Great job Christine!

An MFP friend also found another trick to stay away from the coffee stands. She mixes her morning chocolate protein powder into her black coffee for a healthy mocha.
  • samhradh
    samhradh Posts: 297 Member
    Options

You are my hero, christine just by telling us your story, you have hardened my resolve, we will win the war, just as you won your battle today.
    Hugs & more Hugs
    Samhradh
  • dfeledichuk
    dfeledichuk Posts: 371 Member
    Options

That is so beyond terrific! That is great, I am so proud of you!!!! You should be very proud of yourself.... what a great change and step in such a positive direction!
  • dfeledichuk
    Options
    Just found you guys...am I too late to join up?I think I really need this challenge.
    I am 54, married, Mom to 3 grown sons. I work part time and
    have been training for the Avon Walk in NYC in October. I was just diagnosed with a foot injury which has sidelined
    me and my efforts and totally bummed me out. Spent past week sitting on the couch watching Project Runway re-runs, bemoaning my fate. Totally afraid to weigh myself.

Goal for Christmas: 150 lbs.
    Goal for week ahead: honestly track my food on MFP
    Weigh in...Monday August 29 (Think i am around 170)

Sound OK? love to join you--Suzann

Absolutely you can still join glad to have you. Are you wanting me to put your start weight as 170?? Let me know.

Thanks
  • runninggirl262
    runninggirl262 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I just have to share with you something that I did today, that I NEVER would have done before..... I woke up exhausted this a.m. - it's been a long, busy work week and it's been a real challenge to be eating so much less than I normally do. Plus, the scale put me 1# up over yesterday morning (can you say "emotional eater"?). So, as I'm driving to work, I decide that a latte and a scone will help wake me up, and it's been awhile since I've had them. I turned off the highway to get to the coffee shop, and as I'm driving I'm telling myself "you're going to regret this. It won't even taste as good because you're going to feel guilty about eating and drinking it."

Guess what I did? I turned around!!! I actually went back to the highway and drove straight to work!! Now, granted, I also pulled my $$ from my purse after I got to work and was going to drive back there and get my treats (because they were still calling to me - you KNOW what I mean!!!). But I put my $$ away and went downstairs for more water and a cup of regular coffee (which I don't really like, but maybe it will take care of my craving). I have a banana and a nectarine sitting here waiting for when I actually get hungry.

I'm just so darn proud of myself!! tee hee Thanks for being here - I wouldn't have had anyone else to tell this to who would "get it"!!

Christine

I am proud of you! Fantastic.
  • curlyjayne
    curlyjayne Posts: 120
    Options
    I just have to share with you something that I did today, that I NEVER would have done before..... I woke up exhausted this a.m. - it's been a long, busy work week and it's been a real challenge to be eating so much less than I normally do. Plus, the scale put me 1# up over yesterday morning (can you say "emotional eater"?). So, as I'm driving to work, I decide that a latte and a scone will help wake me up, and it's been awhile since I've had them. I turned off the highway to get to the coffee shop, and as I'm driving I'm telling myself "you're going to regret this. It won't even taste as good because you're going to feel guilty about eating and drinking it."

Guess what I did? I turned around!!! I actually went back to the highway and drove straight to work!! Now, granted, I also pulled my $$ from my purse after I got to work and was going to drive back there and get my treats (because they were still calling to me - you KNOW what I mean!!!). But I put my $$ away and went downstairs for more water and a cup of regular coffee (which I don't really like, but maybe it will take care of my craving). I have a banana and a nectarine sitting here waiting for when I actually get hungry.

I'm just so darn proud of myself!! tee hee Thanks for being here - I wouldn't have had anyone else to tell this to who would "get it"!!

Christine

well done christine xxx
  • juliekin
    juliekin Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    That is great! You have seen the challenge, faced it in the eye, and won!
  • sports2mom
    sports2mom Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hello!

Please count me in too. I'm 46, married with one daugher who will be 10 on October 1. I recently joined MFP via the iPhone app and just recently started using website today.

My challenges for the remainder of this weekend and next week are:

8 glasses of water daily
    Gym 2 times for 60 min.

SW - 152
    GW - 136 (Dec 25)

Week 1 - 152 (Aug 22)
    Week 2 - xxx (Aug 29)
    Week 3 - xxx (Sep 5)
    Week 4 - xxx (Sep 12)
    Week 5 - xxx (Sep 19)
    Week 6 - xxx (Sep 26)
    Week 7 - xxx (Oct 3)
    Week 9 - xxx (Oct 10)
    Week 10 - xxx (Oct 17)
    Week 11 - xxx (Oct 24)
    Week 12 - xxx (Oct 31)
    Week 13 - xxx (Nov 7)
    Week 14 - xxx (Nov 14)
    Week 15 - xxx (Nov 21)
    Week 16 - xxx (Nov 28)
    Week 17 - xxx (Dec 5)
    Week 18 - xxx (Dec 12)
    Week 19 - xxx (Dec 19)
    Final - 136 (Dec 25) SW - 152
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,273 Member
    Options
    My focus mid week was my job interview but I am back to this and am really motivated to get off the next pound(s). I have my huge water bottle and I am drinking. People are starting to come from all over to take Aquafit from my teacher. Had a great class this morning. May swim at my Mom's pool later too. Hope all have a great weekend.

Christine your story hits home. I had a huge commute to work for years and the way I made it feel bearable were lattes and a bakery item on my way to work. I have really cut down on it. I know how hard it was to accomplish that. I am impressed.

Keri
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I have been trying over the past couple of months to get my family to make the switch from white rice to brown. They are all on board with the eating program in general, but converting the rice and pastas to healthier versions is a bit of a challenge.

My old rice cooker has been making a lot of noises lately, so I decided it was time for an upgrade. The new (and larger) one arrived this week and I decided to try brown rice again. OMG! What a difference! It took forever to cook (but it has a timer so you can get it ready in the morning for dinner that night) but it was definitely the most delicious brown rice I have ever tasted. Even my fussy husband and daughter LOVED it. Now I can say goodbye to white rice (at home). Does anyone know the difference between long grain brown rice, basmati brown rice and jasmine brown rice? I bought a couple of varieties and thought I would compare.

Oh, and on the water. It gets much easier after a few days. Now I find it easy to fit in 10 or 12 glasses a day. I have cartons of diet green tea that I used to go through in a few days. They are stacked up in the garage and I don't think I'll get through them before the expiration date. I allow myself one a day, but I am really only having about three a week. As for diet sodas and tea, I will only have one occasionally if I go out to eat (about once/week).
  • ksgreys
    ksgreys Posts: 11
    Options
    It is Saturday and I made it through the Mcd's drive thru with only a non fat latte ; ) AND came home from seeing a movie and went on a 50 minute walk with my husband! WHOOO HOOOO, I never make myself get up and exercise on the weekends. But knowing I will have to share with you guys my results on Monday weigh in day helped motivate me! thanks to all my new fitness buddies! xo
  • babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Hey bella.. Would love to join!!! Thanks for the invite!!!!

A little about me. I am 48 years old, been married for 21 years with 2 boys aged 18 and 16. I am a homemaker right now, but also have my hairstyling licence and worked for 15 years. I have severe carpel tunnel which hinders me from working in my field.

I have lost 50lbs in 2008 and gained it all back the year I lost my father in law and decided to quit smoking after 28 years. I just wanna feel good about myself and get to my goal weight slowly but surely.
    My challenges for the week starting Monday is to walk at least 2 miles a day. 8 glasses of water daily
    SW - 208.1
    GW - 190(Dec 25)

Week 1 - 208.1 (Aug 22)
    Week 2 - xxx (Aug 29)
    Week 3 - xxx (Sep 5)
    Week 4 - xxx (Sep 12)
    Week 5 - xxx (Sep 19)
    Week 6 - xxx (Sep 26)
    Week 7 - xxx (Oct 3)
    Week 9 - xxx (Oct 10)
    Week 10 - xxx (Oct 17)
    Week 11 - xxx (Oct 24)
    Week 12 - xxx (Oct 31)
    Week 13 - xxx (Nov 7)
    Week 14 - xxx (Nov 14)
    Week 15 - xxx (Nov 21)
    Week 16 - xxx (Nov 28)
    Week 17 - xxx (Dec 5)
    Week 18 - xxx (Dec 12)
    Week 19 - xxx (Dec 19)
    Final - 190- (Dec 25)
  • samhradh
    samhradh Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Good luck to all the 40+ team for the weigh in tomorrow, well done to every one reaching the water targets.
    The support from everyone has been fantastic.
    thanks a million.
    samhradh XXX
  • curlyjayne
    curlyjayne Posts: 120
    Options
    SW - 164
    GW - 149 (Dec 25)
    Week 1 - 163 (Aug 22)
    Week 2 - 162 (Aug 29)
    Week 3 - xxx (Sep 5)
    Week 4 - xxx (Sep 12)
    Week 5 - xxx (Sep 19)
    Week 6 - xxx (Sep 26)
    Week 7 - xxx (Oct 3)
    Week 9 - xxx (Oct 10)
    Week 10 - xxx (Oct 17)
    Week 11 - xxx (Oct 24)
    Week 12 - xxx (Oct 31)
    Week 13 - xxx (Nov 7)
    Week 14 - xxx (Nov 14)
    Week 15 - xxx (Nov 21)
    Week 16 - xxx (Nov 28)
    Week 17 - xxx (Dec 5)
    Week 18 - xxx (Dec 12)
    Week 19 - xxx (Dec 19)
    Final - xxx (Dec 25)

hi all i lost another 1 lb this week xxx
  • dids01
    dids01 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    please count me in too I have joined month challenges but feel that this will keep me going till christmes.
    I'm 44, 45 just before christmas I'm a single mother of 2 children aged 13 and 10 I work full time as a teacher, my goal for each week is to lose at least 1lb and to make sure I drink 8 glasses of water a day.
    SW - 174
    GW - 140 (Dec 25)
    Week 1 - 176 (Aug 22)
    Week 2 - xxx (Aug 29)
    Week 3 - xxx (Sep 5)
    Week 4 - xxx (Sep 12)
    Week 5 - xxx (Sep 19)
    Week 6 - xxx (Sep 26)
    Week 7 - xxx (Oct 3)
    Week 9 - xxx (Oct 10)
    Week 10 - xxx (Oct 17)
    Week 11 - xxx (Oct 24)
    Week 12 - xxx (Oct 31)
    Week 13 - xxx (Nov 7)
    Week 14 - xxx (Nov 14)
    Week 15 - xxx (Nov 21)
    Week 16 - xxx (Nov 28)
    Week 17 - xxx (Dec 5)
    Week 18 - xxx (Dec 12)
    Week 19 - xxx (Dec 19)
    Final - xxx (Dec 25)

best of luck to everyone xx
  • maisiecm
    maisiecm Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    HI

I was wondering if I could join in with this. I am 42 and have two sons, 7 year old and a 7 week old! I am not dieting per se as I am breast feeding but I am trying to swop my totally unhealthy snacking and eating for healthier options to lose weight.

My first aim would be to swop my unhealthy treats for healthy ones.
    Second aim to drink 8 glasses of water per day.
    third aim as a result of the above would be to lose 1lb a week which would mean that I would lose approximately 17lbs before xmas which I would be delighted with.

SW - 208 (Aug 28)
    GW - 191 (Dec 25)
    Week 1 - not joined in
    Week 2 - 208 (Aug 29)
    Week 3 - xxx (Sep 5)
    Week 4 - xxx (Sep 12)
    Week 5 - xxx (Sep 19)
    Week 6 - xxx (Sep 26)
    Week 7 - xxx (Oct 3)
    Week 9 - xxx (Oct 10)
    Week 10 - xxx (Oct 17)
    Week 11 - xxx (Oct 24)
    Week 12 - xxx (Oct 31)
    Week 13 - xxx (Nov 7)
    Week 14 - xxx (Nov 14)
    Week 15 - xxx (Nov 21)
    Week 16 - xxx (Nov 28)
    Week 17 - xxx (Dec 5)
    Week 18 - xxx (Dec 12)
    Week 19 - xxx (Dec 19)
    Final - xxx (Dec 25)
  • kepete
    kepete Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    My weigh in day is Sunday for the challenge.

Week 2 - 191.4 (the extra workouts this weekend really helped to achieve my 2.2 pound loss)

New goal this week is to run during three of my workouts this week!
  • dfeledichuk
    Options
    It is Saturday and I made it through the Mcd's drive thru with only a non fat latte ; ) AND came home from seeing a movie and went on a 50 minute walk with my husband! WHOOO HOOOO, I never make myself get up and exercise on the weekends. But knowing I will have to share with you guys my results on Monday weigh in day helped motivate me! thanks to all my new fitness buddies! xo

Excellent! Hopefully the extra effort shows on Monday!
  • dfeledichuk
    Options
    My weigh in day is Sunday for the challenge.

Week 2 - 191.4 (the extra workouts this weekend really helped to achieve my 2.2 pound loss)

New goal this week is to run during three of my workouts this week!

Great job! and excellent goal!