Walking

Options

Replies

• ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I average 13,000 or so steps a day (always try for the minimum 10,000). Some is on treadmill, some outside. Some is only at 2 mph, other times 3. Really depends on my mood and how I am feeling. That has helped me in this journey, but what it mainly does is help tone up my muscles and has a positive impact on my blood pressure. I do get exercise calories from it, but I sync fitbit with MFP and take whatever it figures, I don't add it in as separate exercise. I eat them back when I feel like it, but I always try to make sure net is 1200. The kitchen scale is tremendous help--when I weigh, I can lose. When I went back to trusting myself to eyeball portions, I gain. Log everything, set a reasonable calorie goal.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,144 Member
    Options
    @kelliclark805
    Please click this link and scroll/read some of the threads. They will be very helpful.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    My weight is currently at 214 I’m 5’ 4” and maybe my intake isn’t burning enough. My activity level is lightly active. Maybe I need other exercises, like the elliptical. I’ve heard how it’s easier on the knees, but I’m not sure. I am thinking of going to the gym soon and get some help.

If you haven’t already, consider talking to your doctor about your desire to begin exercising a little more. They are familiar with your body and arthritis and might be able to refer you to a physical therapist to help you increase activity safely.

I have back issues and need low impact activities myself.

ETA: Are you active in your daily life outside of the 1-1.5 miles? If not, 1-1.5 miles a day might not be enough to put you in “lightly active.” Consider enabling Negative Calorie Adjustments so MFP will remove some of your daily calories available if you don’t move enough that day to meet your activity level.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Consider lower resistance activities like swimming as well
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I have seen my primary & a physical therapist who said to go walking, use the elliptical & too start changing my eating habits. If walking wasn’t going to help lose weight, why was I told that with changing my eating & adding exercise would? Like I mentioned I cut down on sweets as to not binge later on them. I’m not the best eater, never have been. I don’t know what is meant by what level I’m eating at?? I have changed my goals in MFP and now my intake is 1740.
    I appreciate all the advice.
    Thank you.

Walking is good for health and for someone just starting out it and the elliptical are exercises one can add that won't put stress on the joints, etc.

The first thing I did when I decided to lose in 2014 was decide I would walk a lot more (I already walked a lot, because I am in a big city and so walk in connection with my commute and for errands, but I decided I'd watch steps and walk whenever possible). I also did some treadmill walking and elliptical at first, as well as stationary biking, because it was a very cold and snowy Jan. I love running but hate treadmill running, so I only really got back into running that March.

But that was for health and because it did increase my TDEE some (only a mile of walking likely won't add that many cals, unfortunately). The MAIN thing I did to lose weight was calculate a calorie goal based on my size and goals and then carefully stick to it. 2040 would not have been low enough for weight loss for me until I got much more active (I lost most of my weight eating around 1400 net). Changing your goal to 1740, since you are losing slowly at 2070, and then keeping up or increasing the activity seems like a good start.

Usually "changing your eating habits" is an indirect way of saying "eat fewer cals," especially because some medical or dietitian types are skeptical about people's ability to track cals. But tracking cals worked for me.
  • shunggie
    shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I'm losing approx .63 pounds a week, my calorie goal is 1640. I walk for 4 or 5 days a week, anywhere from 2 to 5 miles per walk. I do go to the gym and do weights for an hour once a week. It's worked well for me. I'm 50 years old and 5'1" inches tall. I usually "eat back" about half my exercise calories.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    My goal is to lose 30-35lbs by May next year for a vacation trip. I have started with food, reduced my sweet intake since that is the hardest for me to do. My current calorie intake on here is 2010. I walked anywhere from 1-1.50 miles. I have arthritis in both knees, there are days I can increase my speed & others I have to back off. My husband cooks for me and know all the portion sizes. I don’t go for seconds.

This would indicate that at your current calorie level, you are in a very slight deficit. Walking won't magically make you lose weight...no exercise will. It comes down to calories and the size of your calorie deficit. If exercise defaulted to weight loss, everyone who exercises regularly for their health and fitness would ultimately wither away and die.
  • jennarandhayes
    jennarandhayes Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Exercise is good for your body and is an aide in weight loss, but not a necessity. In order to lose weight it’s all about calorie intake, which means you need to weigh and measure everything you put in to your body. If your husband cooks only carrots, but prepares them in generous amounts of oil, you have to count the oil. If you eat a healthy salad, but drench it in calorie heavy salad dressing, you have to count every drop of dressing. Maybe you should be involved in the food prep, so that you know every bit of what you’re eating, and then lower your daily calorie goal if it’s not working. I have to imagine it’s hidden calories that is keeping you from loosing weight more quickly.

You can eat nothing but donuts all day while exercising moderately and still gain weight.

You can eat nothing but spinach all day while never exercising and lose weight. Calories are key.
  • kelliclark805
    kelliclark805 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I log everything to the best of my ability & I count all hidden calories. I google things also if I can’t find any info. I have not gotten a scale as of yet. I understand you can eat & still gain , regardless of what it is.