Calories in vegetables

Options
Curious to know if you count your vegetables in your daily calorie count? I usually only count corn, and higher starch veggies.

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    When I log I do. I like to eat 10+ servings of veg daily (that's generally non starchy veg, as I consider beans and grains like corn and pulses like peas to be a "starches" category). Trust me, even non-starchy veg can add up, and I want to know my real calorie numbers.

More significantly, I like to be able to see what I've actually been eating, and consider logging veg encouragement to eat more. It's good to be able to look back at a day that was easy and see that you ate 1800 cal, 300 from veg, and think "oh, yes, eating veg is helpful for me." If you see the day as 1500 cal, no veg, that doesn't tell you much. I also think logging veg helps you see if you happen to not be eating enough or sufficient variety for a while!
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Get a food scale, weigh and log EVERYTHING..Keep calories within your daily deficit and you'll lose weight.
  • BuddhaBunnyFTW
    BuddhaBunnyFTW Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I count them to track nutrients
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I have to count them. They can occupy 25 percent of my daily calorie allowance.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,034 Member
    Options
    If one eats a material amount of veggies/fruits (say, the recommended 5 servings), but doesn't log them, one is giving up the opportunity to fine-tune weight loss rate that comes from having reasonably accurate calorie totals, or giving up a degree of accuracy in (eventually) using one's logged intake and weight loss experience to make a personalized estimate of maintenance calories.

Neither of those benefits is essential to a happy life, but for some of us it's enough (on top of general accuracy and interest in nutrient tracking) to make it worthwhile to track them.

And for me, personally, I'm one of the people who often eats 10+ servings, so several hundred calories of vegetables daily (let alone fruits) isn't at all unusual.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    If one eats a material amount of veggies/fruits (say, the recommended 5 servings), but doesn't log them, one is giving up the opportunity to fine-tune weight loss rate that comes from having reasonably accurate calorie totals, or giving up a degree of accuracy in (eventually) using one's logged intake and weight loss experience to make a personalized estimate of maintenance calories.

Neither of those benefits is essential to a happy life, but for some of us it's enough (on top of general accuracy and interest in nutrient tracking) to make it worthwhile to track them.

And for me, personally, I'm one of the people who often eats 10+ servings, so several hundred calories of vegetables daily (let alone fruits) isn't at all unusual.

I stopped trying to figure out my vegetable servings. Now I just go by the number of pounds. However, if I went by 98 grams per serving I would be eating around 15 a day... not to outdo you or anything. :tongue: