Calories and working out

Options
I have my macros and calories aet up. When I log my workout it increases the calories needed to be consumed for the day. Should I ignore this and stick to the original calorie limit or try to meet the adjust calorie amount due to the workout?
Sorry if it's a silly question I just want to make sure I'm going about this the best way for fat loss.

Replies

• glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Aps tend to overestimate what you've been burning, so a lot of people eat back half.
    I don't eat them back, but set my activity level higher to cover exercise.
    Some people feel drained if they don't eat them all back.
    Trial and error is probably the best way to decide.

Good luck!
  • loki334
    loki334 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Aps tend to overestimate what you've been burning, so a lot of people eat back half.

Good luck!

That probably would be best. Takes a long time, but worth it. I manually log my calories from the treadmill, but I leave out the weight lifting and yoga. I guess that would be a safety net? But then they say if you under est your body wont let lose of the fat. Driving me nuts lol.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    loki334 wrote: »

Good luck!

That probably would be best. Takes a long time, but worth it. I manually log my calories from the treadmill, but I leave out the weight lifting and yoga. I guess that would be a safety net? But then they say if you under est your body wont let lose of the fat. Driving me nuts lol.

The bolded bit simply isn’t true. ‘They’ say a lot of things, many of which are not fact.

If you undereat according to the calorie target you set you’ll lose weight faster but not necessarily in a healthy way. The best way to figure out if you need to eat your exercise calories is to experiment over the course of several weeks. Unless you’re desperately hungry it’s a good starting point to eat back half of the calories you ‘earn’ through exercise and see how that impacts your weekly loss target. If you’ve set MFP to lose a pound a week, for example, and by eating half of your exercise calories you’re on target for a pound per week after a few weeks of doing this, you’ve found your level.

If, however, you’re not losing as expected you could drop the percentage of exercise calories you eat, and vice versa...if you’re losing more than you expected, eat a bit more of those ‘bonus’ calories.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    loki334 wrote: »

Good luck!

There is an ounce of truth in this. There is only so much fat a day your body will burn when you are in a deficit. If you eat too little, you will still lose fat but instead of more fat, you will begin to lose extra muscle instead. Adequate protein, slow weight loss and resistance training will all help to limit the amount of muscle you lose.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    MFP works off of the NEAT method which is non exercise activity thermogenesis. Simply put the calorie target provided is based off your stats and activity level but doesn’t include exercise. When you do exercise, you are meant to log and eat back those calories to avoid having too large of a deficit, to fuel your exercise, etc.

Some people find the exercise calorie burns overinflated so they start with eating back a portion of the calories until they get a handle on the impact on their overall weight loss trend.

Read the stickied most helpful forum posts in the getting started section they have a ton of useful info about how to best use the site and set appropriate goals.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,945 Member
    Options