Does anyone eat fresh fruit and veggies anymore?

Options
13»

Replies

• Quiltmania
    Options
    I recently found out that raw garlic (or chopped and fried garlic) is one of the best foods to eat to combat cancer (7 out of 8 types). So today I ate some and I can honestly say, BAM! what a kick in the mouth that was.

You should try roasting it -- very yummy. Not quite as powerful a flavor as raw but still garlicky with a bit of a sweet undertone. Take a whole bulb (not just a clove but a whole bulb), cut off one end and drizzle with olive oil. Roast at 350 for about 45 min. You don't have to peel it, just squeeze it out the cut end. It comes out soft and you can spread it on a sandwich.
  • mampm1
    mampm1 Posts: 88
    Options
    I agree with you completely! I eat a lot of fresh fruits and veggies and while most of my friends commend me for the effort, very few of them follow along the same path. This summer the fruit has been fantastic here in New York! The watermelon, cantaloupe, peaches and right now the delicious plums are just wonderful!

My go to veggie is Kale. It's one of the best cancer fighters out there. I like to steam it and then add a little olive oil,cider vinegar, crushed red pepper and garlic. My favorite way is to do what I call "5 minute Kale" adapted from a "5 minute broccoli rabe" which appeared on "Live From Daryl's House" during the tribute to Tom "T-Bone" Wolk, who passed away suddenly in 2010 (www,livefromdarylshouse.com). You sautee/toast the garlic in olive oil, then add the kale until it wilts (5 min) then add the garlic back and top with the garlic, crushed red pepper, salt and black pepper. Delish!

My grandfather always advised me to eat my beans and I do (except for limas)! He also alway used to ask the question: "Eat to live, or live to eat?" As a little boy, he always got tickled no matter which way me or my brother answered because we obviously didn't know what he was talking about. Now of course I do, and I hope to live into my 90's like he did.
  • aniles12
    aniles12 Posts: 15
    Options
    i honestly love this reply...while people are looking at you eating something healthy...they're over there eating a grease filled burger from McDonalds!! haha I'm a vegetarian, so everybody always tells me that I'm weird for not eating meat, and i laugh because when they go to fast food places...who knows if they're even eating meat!!!:laugh:
  • curlyjayne
    curlyjayne Posts: 120
    Options
    I think that most people have forgotten the importance of incorporating fruit and vegetables into their diet on a daily basis.
    I trained as a chef and although i work in the building industry now, i still try to avoid to eat processed foods.
    on average i probably eat a minimum of 10 different fruit/veg a day.
    we just had lunch, as it was sunday, we had a three course lunch.
    starter was homemade soup (lentils, marrow, butternut squash, onion & sweet potato), main was roasted vegetables (sweet potatoe, marrow, onion, baby potatoes), broccolli & green cabbage, the guys had pork chops i didn't bother as i am not a big meat eater, then we had bananas & custard for dessert.
    Eating fresh fruit and vegetables in my opinion will always be better for you than any vitamin pill you could buy.
    xxx:flowerforyou:
  • inlander
    inlander Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it IS hard eating healthy, and for me (as a grad student living entirely off of student loans) it can be really expensive to buy fresh fruits and vegetables when they're not in season. BUT for me, it's SO rewarding to be able to make a meal, know exactly how many calories/fat/carbs/etc are in it, know exactly what went INTO it, and not have to worry about anything suspect like high fructose corn syrup. I even made a blueberry-peach dessert crisp/cobbler the other day from scratch and it was so tasty AND healthy. Hey, I used completely fresh fruit in it. ;D

Do you live in an agricultural area? If you do find people who are willing to bring you free fruit and veggies. That is one great thing about living in Northern California. My mother in law knows alot of farmers and people who have orchards. She brings us walnuts, tomatos, peaches, zucchini, persimmons and some much more. I LOVE her for that! HA!
    YUM to the blueberry-peach cobbler. Sounds GOOD! :happy:

That sounds SO good. And by the way, I absolutely LOVE persimmons. LOVE. It's like eating a jam-ball. Anyway, I don't live in a super agricultural area - the best we have is the summer farmer's market, which is great! It's just tough in the winter - I have to rely primarily on grocery store stuff and we all know how great produce is in a winter/snowy area (nottt). And yes, the cobbler was amazing! I just wish I'd had some ice cream or whipped cream to go with it. ;)
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my fresh fruit and veggies. I often find I have put so many different veggies in my dinner that there's no room for anything else!! The other day someone saw me eating a bowl of strawberries, raspberries and scrumped blackberries, after my main course of a homemade veggie chilli and said 'wow, you eat WELL!!'

And I thought - yes, why shouldn't I? I deserve good fresh foods. My BODY deserves fresh foods. It is perfectly possibly to find the time to eat well, and if you hunt hard enough you can get good foods fairly cheaply. I am all about the QUALITY of my foods and to be honest I think we need to set aside far more of our income on good foods, after all, we only get one chance at this body and we may as well feed it well!!!
  • CyclingDiva
    CyclingDiva Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my fresh fruit and veggies. I often find I have put so many different veggies in my dinner that there's no room for anything else!! The other day someone saw me eating a bowl of strawberries, raspberries and scrumped blackberries, after my main course of a homemade veggie chilli and said 'wow, you eat WELL!!'

And I thought - yes, why shouldn't I? I deserve good fresh foods. My BODY deserves fresh foods. It is perfectly possibly to find the time to eat well, and if you hunt hard enough you can get good foods fairly cheaply. I am all about the QUALITY of my foods and to be honest I think we need to set aside far more of our income on good foods, after all, we only get one chance at this body and we may as well feed it well!!!

I LOVE this! And find it interesting. My husband and I have always been big on diet and exercise, but as my husband said, we use to be cheap eaters and skimp on the best because he always wants to save. We still look for great deals, but if there is something we want, we'll get it for that exact reason. We only have one body....TREAT IT RIGHT!!!! Give it what it needs to grow (in the right ways ha).
    I think I'll go have a bowl of fruit on that note! Have a GREAT day! :smile:
  • CyclingDiva
    Options
    Yeah, it IS hard eating healthy, and for me (as a grad student living entirely off of student loans) it can be really expensive to buy fresh fruits and vegetables when they're not in season. BUT for me, it's SO rewarding to be able to make a meal, know exactly how many calories/fat/carbs/etc are in it, know exactly what went INTO it, and not have to worry about anything suspect like high fructose corn syrup. I even made a blueberry-peach dessert crisp/cobbler the other day from scratch and it was so tasty AND healthy. Hey, I used completely fresh fruit in it. ;D

Do you live in an agricultural area? If you do find people who are willing to bring you free fruit and veggies. That is one great thing about living in Northern California. My mother in law knows alot of farmers and people who have orchards. She brings us walnuts, tomatos, peaches, zucchini, persimmons and some much more. I LOVE her for that! HA!
    YUM to the blueberry-peach cobbler. Sounds GOOD! :happy:

That sounds SO good. And by the way, I absolutely LOVE persimmons. LOVE. It's like eating a jam-ball. Anyway, I don't live in a super agricultural area - the best we have is the summer farmer's market, which is great! It's just tough in the winter - I have to rely primarily on grocery store stuff and we all know how great produce is in a winter/snowy area (nottt). And yes, the cobbler was amazing! I just wish I'd had some ice cream or whipped cream to go with it. ;)

I just noticed you were from Spokane. I have alot of family in that area. I use to spend every summer there. My grandparents always had an AMAZING garden and the fresh berries....YUM! I could never stay out of the berry bushes! HA!
    Never spend much time there in the winter though.
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I have to make fresh veggies in meals and offer fresh fruit - often times my youngest (4 years old) won't eat anything on his plate but the veggies, no matter what he's offered. Most every single one of my recipes are also packed full of veggies (and sometimes fruit) because that's the only way I can get my oldest to eat them (he thinks skipping the side dish means he hasn't had any - haha - joke's on him!).

One of my favorite things to do with veggies that might be towards the end (meaning we haven't eaten all up and we need to or else they'll go bad - rarely happens, but still a little treat) is to wedge them up, put them on a stone, and roast them in the oven for about 30 minutes. I've usually put some olive oil and some spices in with them. Yum! All those flavors mix together for a delicious combination!
  • mscoco10
    mscoco10 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I really try to eat more fruit and veggies. My BF hates them. He hardly ever eats them. It makes it hard when I 'm cooking and trying to make healthy meals. I asked him why and he didn't eat them as a child or young adult. He also admits they fresh is very expensive and goes bad quickly if not used asap. I just get enough for me and the lil one.
  • CyclingDiva
    Options

One of my favorite things to do with veggies that might be towards the end (meaning we haven't eaten all up and we need to or else they'll go bad - rarely happens, but still a little treat) is to wedge them up, put them on a stone, and roast them in the oven for about 30 minutes. I've usually put some olive oil and some spices in with them. Yum! All those flavors mix together for a delicious combination!

That is funny, we put olive oil and Mrs. Dash seasoning on baby bell peppers, asparagus and sweet potato fries and put them in the oven sometimes too...YUMMY!!!!! :happy:
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I've had my coworkers accuse me of putting on a show with my work lunches just because it was a spinach salad.

Granted, I work in a fast food restaurant, so my view of the typical American diet may be biased. However, I do hear the phrase, "I don't want none of that rabbit food," more than I'd like.

I work in fast food as well and you should see their faces when I start eating a salad whilst they're like wtf? don't you eat food from here? lol

My coworkers know very well that I don't eat our food. I talk about how disgusting it is every day. :) Most agree, but they still eat it!
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I DO! I kinda have to as being a Celiac I cannot eat most processed foods. We try to stick to eating the perimeter of the store with as few processed foods as possible. Don't let the majority derail you from a healthy lifestyle. I tell people I'm not on a diet, I've changed my lifestyle and plan to eat like this for the rest of my life. It was hard at first, but now I absolutely love it. My husband NEVER ate fruit and very rarely ate veggies that wasn't incorporated in the dish I made. Now he ASKS for fresh veggies and salad and fruit. We've both lost a lot and are on track to lose more.

Good luck!
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i tend to eat the same types of fresh fruit and veggies and try to buy them seasonally.