Carnivore diet

13»

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Fiber is an important nutrient for humans.

I couldn't imagine the constipation effect!

Coyotes are 90% carnivorous (they do also like berries and sometimes eat grass, etc.) Their scat looks very unlike that of domesticated dogs because of all the fur they consume. So, they are getting plenty of fiber ;)

I use coyotes for an example because I see their scat in my woods from time to time, and I always marvel how unlike dogs' it is.

Pics: http://www.foremostcoyotehunting.com/2017/03/animal-feces-coyote-poop.html

Fur does not contain fiber, if that's what you're trying to suggest. Perhaps you are confusing it with textiles derived from plants.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Keto group and Low Carber Daily Forum are great groups on here.

Lots of people on carnivore diets in these groups.

Tips, recipes, and support.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member

Coyotes are 90% carnivorous (they do also like berries and sometimes eat grass, etc.) Their scat looks very unlike that of domesticated dogs because of all the fur they consume. So, they are getting plenty of fiber. ;)

I use coyotes for an example because I see their scat in my woods from time to time, and I always marvel how unlike dogs' it is.

Pics: http://www.foremostcoyotehunting.com/2017/03/animal-feces-coyote-poop.html

Fur does not contain fiber, if that's what you're trying to suggest. Perhaps you are confusing it with textiles derived from plants.

Strictly true for the dietary definition** of fiber, IMU. But I'm not sure that makes it incorrect to speculate that the bulking effect of fur in the digestive system is helpful to some wild carnivores "throughput".

** This is another case where the terminology has contexts, if one wants to be pedantic (as I so often seem to do ;) ). I don't consider cashmere or wool dietary fiber, but it's fiber in my sewing and needlework world. So is dog and cat hair/fur, sometimes. (People make felt and sweaters.) :lol:

I think people are a little (too?) relaxed in casual conversation about using terms, sometimes, so the expression has to be interpreted in a bit of a metaphorical way to try to derive what the person's trying to communicate from what they literally said.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Coyotes are 90% carnivorous (they do also like berries and sometimes eat grass, etc.) Their scat looks very unlike that of domesticated dogs because of all the fur they consume. So, they are getting plenty of fiber. ;)

Strictly true for the dietary definition** of fiber, IMU. But I'm not sure that makes it incorrect to speculate that the bulking effect of fur in the digestive system is helpful to some wild carnivores "throughput".

** This is another case where the terminology has contexts, if one wants to be pedantic (as I so often seem to do ;) ). I don't consider cashmere or wool dietary fiber, but it's fiber in my sewing and needlework world. So is dog and cat hair/fur, sometimes. (People make felt and sweaters.) :lol:

I think people are a little (too?) relaxed in casual conversation about using terms, sometimes, so the expression has to be interpreted in a bit of a metaphorical way to try to derive what the person's trying to communicate from what they literally said.

I did say, "if that's what you [the earlier poster, not "you"] 're trying to suggest." I think that leaves the door open for that poster to explain that my interpretation of their post was off. The poster said that coyotes are "getting plenty of fiber," directly after mentioning all the fur they consume. It's possible that was meant as a reference back to berries and grass in their diet. I doubt coyotes are sitting around running up curtains for their dens or embroidering antimacassars, so the context seems pretty clearly to be food. :smile: My mention of textiles was intended as a suggestion of the possible source of the confusion.
  • can111
    can111 Posts: 63 Member
    I read a very conclusive 10 year study that showed people who ate a daily serving of greens had the least occurences of dementia. That study stuck with me. I would think that a meat diet would lack in nutrients. At the least it doesn't sound sustainable for the long run.
  • shelbydodgeguy
    shelbydodgeguy Posts: 194 Member
    A close friend of mine also uses a carnivore-like diet to manage her autoimmune disease. However, even though that WOE helps her feel better, she can't manage it 100% of the time. It's too restrictive. She's been experimenting with introducing very small amounts of plants.

I do a similar diet along with medications for the same reasons. Not straight carnivore as I do eat eggs, green vegetables, cheese, and similar low carb foods. In my case it's working well and I'm in much better shape as far as inflammation and my skin rash. What it hasn't helped with is the pain levels.

No constipation issues here. I'm actually more regular now.

• jenny3073
    jenny3073 Posts: 117 Member
    edited October 2019
    JusstSara wrote: »

Coyotes are 90% carnivorous (they do also like berries and sometimes eat grass, etc.) Their scat looks very unlike that of domesticated dogs because of all the fur they consume. So, they are getting plenty of fiber ;)

Love the link. I see coyote scat pretty often on trail. I'm sure I have some photos I've taken on my phone somewhere. Don't know why but I find their poop so interesting along with every other type of animal scat that I find.

My comment was based on personal experience solely. My digestion works so great now that my fiber intake is always north of 50 grams. I didn't even realize how "hard" I had it before. 😁

You and @L1zardQueen are making me feel less weird for my interest in coyote scat, lol!

It may not have been obvious, but I was agreeing with you on fiber. I certainly need fiber to be regular. A human with a Carnivore WOE wouldn't be getting all the fiber carnivores in the wild get.

Just my n=1 but I've had no issues with a zero fiber way of eating. I still continue to have daily bm's. Removing fiber has eliminated bloating and gas though. Others may have different experiences but it really hasn't been an issue for me to ditch the fiber :)

Same here. I still get runner's stomach when running (no change), but not eating plants / fiber has eliminated bloating other times of the day. I have no trouble getting "backed up" nor with hard stools.

Same for me regarding getting backed up - although I don't go everyday, I never have even with high fiber. I've only been eating this way about 4 weeks, so far have dropped 23 lbs, lost fat, gained muscle. The bloat that I constantly felt before stopped within the first 1-2 days. I lost so little on low carb and decided to try this for only a month because it sounded so crazy (against many things that had been drilled into my brain about what is healthy or not) and I wasn't into any sort of restricted "diet" where you'd gain everything plus more back, but I'm feeling AMAZING and not bored of it so I will continue on. I am well aware the reason I dropped that much weight is because my calories lowered a lot due to just not being hungry much anymore, whereas before I felt constantly hungry. The food is so satisfying, I generally only eat twice a day now and rarely think about food. The lack of fiber has actually helped my bowel movements go much more smoothly, quickly, and much less painful. Frequency hasn't changed much. I don't need my type 2 diabetic meds anymore. Blood work looks great and I will get tested periodically.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    jenny3073 wrote: »
    JusstSara wrote: »

Love the link. I see coyote scat pretty often on trail. I'm sure I have some photos I've taken on my phone somewhere. Don't know why but I find their poop so interesting along with every other type of animal scat that I find.

My comment was based on personal experience solely. My digestion works so great now that my fiber intake is always north of 50 grams. I didn't even realize how "hard" I had it before. 😁

You and @L1zardQueen are making me feel less weird for my interest in coyote scat, lol!

It may not have been obvious, but I was agreeing with you on fiber. I certainly need fiber to be regular. A human with a Carnivore WOE wouldn't be getting all the fiber carnivores in the wild get.

Just my n=1 but I've had no issues with a zero fiber way of eating. I still continue to have daily bm's. Removing fiber has eliminated bloating and gas though. Others may have different experiences but it really hasn't been an issue for me to ditch the fiber :)

Same here. I still get runner's stomach when running (no change), but not eating plants / fiber has eliminated bloating other times of the day. I have no trouble getting "backed up" nor with hard stools.

Same for me regarding getting backed up - although I don't go everyday, I never have even with high fiber. I've only been eating this way about 4 weeks, so far have dropped 23 lbs, lost fat, gained muscle. The bloat that I constantly felt before stopped within the first 1-2 days. I lost so little on low carb and decided to try this for only a month because it sounded so crazy (against many things that had been drilled into my brain about what is healthy or not) and I wasn't into any sort of restricted "diet" where you'd gain everything plus more back, but I'm feeling AMAZING and not bored of it so I will continue on. I am well aware the reason I dropped that much weight is because my calories lowered a lot due to just not being hungry much anymore, whereas before I felt constantly hungry. The food is so satisfying, I generally only eat twice a day now and rarely think about food. The lack of fiber has actually helped my bowel movements go much more smoothly, quickly, and much less painful. Frequency hasn't changed much. I don't need my type 2 diabetic meds anymore. Blood work looks great and I will get tested periodically.

Question on semantics. How do you assessed you gained muscle?
  • Yidrey
    Yidrey Posts: 20 Member
    I started the carnivore diet because of autoimmune diseases, like other people. I think autoimmune diseases has something to do with digestion and/or food insensitivities. You can doe IgG1,2,3 tests but there are mixed things about the reliability, and they are pricy. So my intention was to begin as an elimination diet. I only eat ground beef and steaks. I do OMAD en I fast on a regular base, 24h to 36h. And every 2 months a prolonged fast of 5 days. I am on the diet 2 months now and my skin is pretty cleared up. Lost a little fat and gained a little muscle. I measure everything. I can eat this way without a problem, but don't know if it is healthy for a long period. There aren't studies about this.
    My theory about that it works for autoimmune diseases is that there is a food sensitivity that causes problems. Or that the carnivore diet raises testosterone. And testosterone lowers inflammation.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Here is my problem with the "carnivore" diet. Most true carnivores have a short gut. Their digestive tracks are not meant for fermentation. Herbivores have a long gut. They have to ferment their food get the best out of it. He humans have the gut of an omnivore. Mid level gut that can handle meat, but is also adapted for plant intake.

Yes!
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited December 2019
    Yidrey wrote: »
    I started the carnivore diet because of autoimmune diseases, like other people. I think autoimmune diseases has something to do with digestion and/or food insensitivities. You can doe IgG1,2,3 tests but there are mixed things about the reliability, and they are pricy. So my intention was to begin as an elimination diet. I only eat ground beef and steaks. I do OMAD en I fast on a regular base, 24h to 36h. And every 2 months a prolonged fast of 5 days. I am on the diet 2 months now and my skin is pretty cleared up. Lost a little fat and gained a little muscle. I measure everything. I can eat this way without a problem, but don't know if it is healthy for a long period. There aren't studies about this.
    My theory about that it works for autoimmune diseases is that there is a food sensitivity that causes problems. Or that the carnivore diet raises testosterone. And testosterone lowers inflammation.

I don't follow his progress as much any longer, but when (and before) Shawn Baker was just getting known (he's one of the more known Carnivore advocates), he was a sprint indoor rower, something I do pay a lot of attention to. Just related to your testosterone statement, Shawn's bottomed out. However, he was still setting WRs on the rower, so his athletic performance didn't suffer -- quite the contrary. I find it repulsive but interesting. BTW, I don't think Shawn Baker rows so well because of his Carnivore diet, the guy was a world-class athlete before that and he trains like a beast. There are other WR sprinters on the rower that live off of McDonalds. The sprint on the rower is just that -- 40 to 50 hard pulls. Beyond that, fitness comes into play...

I don't agree with Shawn but I give him (and some others) props for transparency and leaving themselves open to criticism.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Yidrey wrote: »

The best research on carnivore is probably what was presented at Carnivory Con 2019. Amber O'Hearn occasionally tweets a video of her presentations there.