B12 deficiency but rarely eat meat

Options
Hello all
I have recently been diagnosed B12 & vit d deficiency with low folate. I have had 2 of 6 B12 loading doses from gp but am struggling to find meal ideas that contain b12 that don't contain meat or is just a plate of spinach!
Does anyone else have any ideas please?

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    Vegemite
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Vegemite
    Only the reduced salt one. The normal doesn’t have B12
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I’ll second nutritional yeast, just make sure the one you’re using is the B12 fortified one, because non fortified is also available.

Also marmite, if you have that wherever you are.

For the Vitamin D - 20 mins a day outside without sunscreen, even on non sunny days. Sorted!
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    You can also getB12 fortified vegan foods and milks.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Yep, fortified Nutritional Yeast can be used as a topping or an ingredient in sauces, breads, etc.

Marmite and Vegemite are also phenomenal for adding that savory flavor to recipes and sauces if you don't like eating it as a spread.

Your GP can and likely should also be able to give you some advice on an OTC supplement or a referral to a dietitian as well, if you need some more serious help dependant on your deficiency. I've been both B12 and D deficient in my life and was easily able to alter my diet and supplement regimen to resolve the issue within a year both time as evidenced by my blood tests at my annual physical.

• BuddhaBunnyFTW
    BuddhaBunnyFTW Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    I assume you eat other animal products besides meat. If so, you may be able to get enough from dairy and/or eggs. However, if you don’t eat a lot of any kind of animal product or fortified food, you must supplement B12. Since you’re already being treated for a deficiency, I would ask your doctor to recommend supplements. https://www.theveganrd.com/vegan-nutrition-101/vegan-nutrition-primers/vitamin-b12-a-vegan-nutrition-primer/

Thanks for sharing what a great article!

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Hello all
    I have recently been diagnosed B12 & vit d deficiency with low folate. I have had 2 of 6 B12 loading doses from gp but am struggling to find meal ideas that contain b12 that don't contain meat or is just a plate of spinach!
    Does anyone else have any ideas please?

I'm not sure whether Yves vegetarian products are available where you live, but I know that one of their 45-calorie veggie dogs contains 30% of the B12 RDA. Haven't paid much attention to their other product labels, but it wouldn't shock me to discover that the veggie dogs aren't the only ones with this micro.
  • firlena227
    firlena227 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Often a B12 deficiency is due to pernicious anaemia, so your body is unable to absorb/process the B12, rather than not having enough of it in your diet (hence they give you injections rather than tablets) so I'd speak to your GP about this before making big changes to your diet... if your body can't absorb it you can eat B12 rich foods all day long & it won't make any difference to your B12 levels :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    My experience with anemia has taught me that rather than relying on fortified foods, find a reputable supplement provider and take a supplement.
  • Chris144mph
    Chris144mph Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who responded. Just to clarify I am under gp currently halfway through having b12 injections loading dose (6.over 2weeks)
    I love marmite but am lactose intolerant so although I have lactofree milk, cheese, spread etc its not very often.
    Guess it's down to H&B for folate & vit D!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who responded. Just to clarify I am under gp currently halfway through having b12 injections loading dose (6.over 2weeks)
    I love marmite but am lactose intolerant so although I have lactofree milk, cheese, spread etc its not very often.
    Guess it's down to H&B for folate & vit D!

Has your GP discussed what to do after your injections are done? Being deficient in three vitamins would make me ask about possible underlying causes. It may not be just a dietary problem.

B12 is stored in the liver. It would generally take some time (think several years) of getting no dietary B12 before you'd develop a deficiency. If you've been getting some B12 but not enough, then you'd have to have been in that situation for many years in order to deplete the B12 stored in your liver. That, of course, is assuming that you don't have an underlying medical condition.

There are disorders that keep your body from absorbing the vitamins you eat. Bowel conditions like celiac disease or Crohn's disease can cause deficiencies in all three of those vitamins because even if you are eating enough of these things, your body may not be able to absorb the vitamins in your food.

I would consider it worthwhile to ask the doctor whether you might have some underlying medical condition, especially if you have any other symptoms.
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I know at least in Canada, Tofurky and Field roast vegan sausages contain a great amount of B12. Over 100% of the RDA per sausage last I had them.
  • Dgil1975
    Dgil1975 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Many fortified foods, but b12 supplement once a week to be safe. Ironically B-12 deficiencies are always linked to plant based eaters, however many meat eaters have similar issues. I didn’t start eating plant based until January, but have twice in the last 6 years had to go on shots because of being deficient, and I was a heavy meat eater. B12 deficiency’s can be very dangerous so keep an eye on it
  • Harebelle
    Harebelle Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your GP needs to clarify whether s/he is confident that this stems from a dietary deficiency, or whether you in fact have Pernicious Anaemia. Have you had a blood test for intrinsic factor antibodies?
  • pacsnc6
    pacsnc6 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    My husband was diagnosed with B12 deficiency and his doctor prescribed the shots because he is not absorbing B12 from his food. He gets a shot once a month.