The Weird and Highly Annoying World of Scale Fluctuations

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Looks like this could use a bump since we're seeing so many threads about it
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Bumpity bump :)
  • LeiLaura
    LeiLaura Posts: 238 Member
    Bump, bump, bump.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Bump
  • quiksylver296
    Bump
  • quiksylver296
    Bump
  • quiksylver296
    Bump
  • quiksylver296
    bump
  • quiksylver296
    bump
  • dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    BUMP!

A couple of days of salty foods + a new bit of exercise leaving me sore + stupid perimenopausal hormones = scale shenanigans

Man, I really needed this thread today.
  • dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    I'll add a tl;dr, especially for women (from the OP's article):

1) Weigh daily; record weekly average
    2) DON'T watch weekly average fluctuations... watch MONTHLY fluctuations at an "anchor week" (i.e. the week you start your period)
    3) Don't want to do the math yourself? Use something like trendweight.com or happyscale.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,972 Member
    Xellercin wrote: »
    What I did when I was losing a large amount of weight years ago was that I only logged my lowest weight for the month, so I would log a number at the first of the month, and then if a lower number came along, I would log that and delete the previous one, and so on and so on for every month.

Weight can fluctuate up a lot, but it can only fluctuate down so far, so this floor weight was most accurate of my fat loss rate.

I watched the graph of those lowest weights, and the graph was a very clear, very consistent slope downward over time with plateaus around Christmas and my summer vacation when I would eat and drink more.

For 4 years, as long as I was consistent, the slope of the graph was a smooth curve down.

I now log every day, but I only pay attention to the slope of the lowest points on the graph, that tells me over time my actual loss rate.

I don't know why you got multiple disagrees. I admit, it could be slow to reveal non-loss in some scenarios, but if loss is happening it's a reasonably viable approach, IMO. I personally wouldn't do it (I'm a data geek, log every AM weight in my weight trending app, but when I used to update weight on MFP during loss I'd just put in new lows here, not every blip that was in Libra.)
  • naturallykat
    naturallykat Posts: 115 Member
    edited June 2022
    This is a really interesting thread, and the timing of it couldn't be better for me. Thank you everybody, especially those who posted graphs and apps for trending analysis. I'm a geek for data, and since I braved stepping on the scale this year for the first time in several years, I'm enjoying weighing often and in the whole not having drama about fluctuations. I recently found out that my scales were all over the place in my bedroom carpet, so have moved to the bathroom, which has "caused" a 5 kg gain. Never mind, it's not a real gain, i know I'm in calorie defecit and at least I'm getting a more reliable read there.

My hormones are a challenge with IR and irregular periods as well as mystery menhorragia, all of which probably contribute to fluctuating weight. But my general trend over the course of this year is that I'm 10kg down, and I'm happy about that as it seems very sustainable to me.
  • bojaantje3822
    bojaantje3822 Posts: 257 Member
    edited June 2022
    I recently figured out that I carried 4kg (about 10 lbs) of water weight from exercising a lot and the stress of a deficit, even though it was fairly moderate (0,5kg/1.1lb a week). My period comes with about 1,5kg/3.3lbs of water weight. Maddening
  • sargemarcori
    sargemarcori Posts: 301 Member
    Maddening is right! I can gain 3.5 pounds overnight. Obviously that's water weight, but do I ever LOSE 3.5 pounds overnight? of course not!
  • Countandsubtract
    Countandsubtract Posts: 276 Member
    @AnnPT77
    Cool thanks :)
  • quiksylver296
    Bump
  • quiksylver296
    Bump