The Nerd & Geek Thread

Options

Replies

• XxFunctionalStrengthxX
    XxFunctionalStrengthxX Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    Was in a DnD game session once where a low-level wizard apprentice of one of the characters attempted to cast a level one spell against an ancient dragon. After a series of rolls to determine overcoming magic resistance, constitution checks against shock, initiative rolls and almost a dozen others, all of them coming up either natural 1 or 20 as required, ultimately this no-name level 1 wizard slayed the ultimate evil before the main PC's even had a chance to draw their swords or whatnot.

In the AD&D games I played in (1E and 2E), there's zero chance this would have ever happened. We modified dragons to be much more in tune with magic than wizards or the like ever could be. As they aged and advanced through the age categories, their resistance and immunity to magic became intensified. For example, a magic missle spell, was ineffective against an adult dragon. Also, dragons had access to spells of much higher levels than their wizard counterparts. We used spells from other game systems, and added these special spells based upon the type of dragon and its age category for levels. We all felt that a great wyrm, which can live for 1200+ years should have significantly higher levels of magic than a human who lives for less than 100.

But, we also made dragons exceptionally rare, and incredibly formidable and deadly creatures once they hit the young adult stage. While it wasn't impossible to kill older dragons, it was most definitely much more challenging than how they were defined in the MM.
  • XxFunctionalStrengthxX
    XxFunctionalStrengthxX Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    ghudson92 wrote: »
    Reckoner68 wrote: »
    I played D&D for the first time on Sunday. I was surprised at how much fun it was and especially liked the creative element. I was, however, disappointed that the DM would not allow me to call scooby doo.

That's usually not something you can do before level seven

He did nearly let me do it but one of the guys we were playing with is hardcore in to D&D and he was absolutely horrified I even suggested it :laugh: He did say to think outside of the box...

FYI, you should ask to roll for initiative. If you get a natural 20 the DM has to let you do anything your character is trying to do.

...this is bad advice, rofl.

I have so much to learn!

It's hard for the DM to argue a Natural 20. It doesn't hurt to try. But be warned. The natural 1...

zq5ezhebmrc7.jpg

Yeah I learnt this lesson already :laugh: I wanted to shoot a goblin in the eye but rolled a one so I ended up being concussed for a turn

Is it even possible to get a concussion from shooting a bow? 😆

Hargrave's Fumble table had some interesting things...

Ky4GcFY.jpg

The crit table was just as fun!

lEhOPCI.jpg
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options
    I just made an impulse purchase for my birthday. Six dice sets (two for me and two for each of my sons)! I really hope they arrive by my birthday! Or at all. This is an international purchase and I do live in Africa
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    I played D&D for the first time on Sunday. I was surprised at how much fun it was and especially liked the creative element. I was, however, disappointed that the DM would not allow me to call scooby doo.

He did nearly let me do it but one of the guys we were playing with is hardcore in to D&D and he was absolutely horrified I even suggested it :laugh: He did say to think outside of the box...

FYI, you should ask to roll for initiative. If you get a natural 20 the DM has to let you do anything your character is trying to do.

I have so much to learn!

It's hard for the DM to argue a Natural 20. It doesn't hurt to try. But be warned. The natural 1...

zq5ezhebmrc7.jpg

Yeah I learnt this lesson already :laugh: I wanted to shoot a goblin in the eye but rolled a one so I ended up being concussed for a turn

Another goblin had thrown a cup at my head as I fired the bow.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options

I have so much to learn!

zq5ezhebmrc7.jpg

Another goblin had thrown a cup at my head as I fired the bow.

This is why I love DnD. Even the fails can sometimes be fun or at least funny.
  • gillylucky13
    gillylucky13 Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Havent got in to DnD but dove in to Mtg and never stopped
  • cee134
    Options
    t3drs2h7prg3.jpg
  • cee134
    Options
    w8pozcudszym.jpg
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options

I have recently been trying to get my husband to play board games with me since I get pretty bored watching TV and we can never agree on a show anyways. Sadly, I am having a hard time getting him to deviate from Uno....but I got this beauty and he seems to be willing to play it:

cmtc851i1epk.png

My ultimate goal is to get him to fall in love with:

h2r2s07691k2.png
  • cee134
    Options
    gtq2rfdyq4t2.jpg
  • cee134
    Options
    jsiygfteilsk.jpg
  • cee134
    Options
    geoilo4tx8u6.jpg

des2qane32zi.jpg
  • mattig89ch
    mattig89ch Posts: 2,648 Member
    Options
    gtq2rfdyq4t2.jpg

doesn't your disney plus come with hulu or somethign?
  • cee134
    Options
    mattig89ch wrote: »
    gtq2rfdyq4t2.jpg

doesn't your disney plus come with hulu or somethign?

The company also said it'll bundle Disney Plus with Hulu (with ads) and ESPN Plus, offering a $5 discount if you subscribe to all three of its streaming options. At $13, that costs the same as Netflix's most popular plan in the US.
  • cee134
    Options
    gz9f4yl3e56i.jpg