The Nerd & Geek Thread

Replies

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    nossmf wrote: »
    I almost touched off a riot in high school English class when I did my term paper on the "practical and educational benefits of AD&D". Half the kids became convinced I had sold my soul to the devil; the other half thought anything not a video game wasn't worth even mentioning (this was in the early 90's...oh how times have not changed). My teacher was sitting in the corner trying not to laugh out loud, told me afterward he had already decided to give me an "A" for the paper just from the title alone. (It was actually a meticulous paper, wish I still had a copy.)

Played AD&D from age 10 til graduation, it was a sad day when I got to college and couldn't find a group to play, everybody was all about drinking, sports and for some strange reason, studying. Fast forward 15 years and tried to introduce the game to my kids with me as DM, but it's not a video game or YouTube video and they grew bored after five minutes.

It's the best open world "video" game in the world. Your brain literally doesn't have a limit on resolution.
  • cee134
    ln11i8rhafos.jpg
  • cee134
    q390rwyq69aj.jpg
  • cee134
    jc75jkauids1.jpg
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    26ua316psxwv.gif
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,982 Member
    cee134 wrote: »
    I almost touched off a riot in high school English class when I did my term paper on the "practical and educational benefits of AD&D". Half the kids became convinced I had sold my soul to the devil; the other half thought anything not a video game wasn't worth even mentioning (this was in the early 90's...oh how times have not changed). My teacher was sitting in the corner trying not to laugh out loud, told me afterward he had already decided to give me an "A" for the paper just from the title alone. (It was actually a meticulous paper, wish I still had a copy.)

Played AD&D from age 10 til graduation, it was a sad day when I got to college and couldn't find a group to play, everybody was all about drinking, sports and for some strange reason, studying. Fast forward 15 years and tried to introduce the game to my kids with me as DM, but it's not a video game or YouTube video and they grew bored after five minutes.

It's the best open world "video" game in the world. Your brain literally doesn't have a limit on resolution.

And no video game can top the open world experience, either, or the ability to mix and match all sorts of genres.
  • Reckoner68
    Reckoner68 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Has anybody ever started a roll20.com game from people on here who play or are interested in playing?
  • cee134
    Reckoner68 wrote: »
    Has anybody ever started a roll20.com game from people on here who play or are interested in playing?

There's been talk of doing a campaign before but nothing has happened that I know of. If we have a DM that wants to set it up I'm sure people would join. It may end up like herding cats though.
  • bmeadows380
    cee134 wrote: »

There's been talk of doing a campaign before but nothing has happened that I know of. If we have a DM that wants to set it up I'm sure people would join. It may end up like herding cats though.

I've wanted to try out pen and paper RPGs for a very long time but can't find a local group, so if you decide to start something up and are willing to drag along a newb, I'd be greatly interested!
  • mattig89ch
    mattig89ch Posts: 2,648 Member

I've tried it in the past, but it doesn't have that little something, that you can only get from sitting at a table with your friends.
  • bmeadows380
    I suppose it all depends on just how vastly different the time zone is! I'm EST but I'm a night owl on the weekends and even on weekdays, I don't usually head to bed until 11 pm.
  • cee134
    1dxevi69btdo.jpg
  • cee134
    ea1ogc38wahy.jpg
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    I also have a full license to Fantasy Grounds. It's been great fun but can be tough to find people to play with if you don't already have a group in mind or someone is less tech savvy, although it's not got a steep learning curve.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,688 Member
    I'm EST but I'm a night owl on the weekends and even on weekdays, I don't usually head to bed until 11 pm.

THAT is your definition of "night owl"? I only go to bed that EARLY if I have a 4am wake-up, otherwise it's at least midnight and half the time 1am.
  • bmeadows380
    I'm EST but I'm a night owl on the weekends and even on weekdays, I don't usually head to bed until 11 pm.

THAT is your definition of "night owl"? I only go to bed that EARLY if I have a 4am wake-up, otherwise it's at least midnight and half the time 1am.

Hey, I'm nearing that age now where 9 PM is considered late! lol

I should change that to try to be in bed by 11 pm (usually not until midnight) because my alarm goes off at 5:30 to 6 AM for work the next morning. I'm not all that young any more - running on less than 5 hours of sleep doesn't cut it :)

Though I usually don't start my housework on weekends until after 10 PM. I was vacuuming my house at 2 AM last weekend and finished baking the cake for Sunday dinner around 4 AM.

Right now it's 11 pm and I've got tomatoes going in my hot water bath canner with 20 minutes still to go and another batch of jars waiting to be put in when those come out. AT 40 minutes processing time, its going to be closer to 1 AM when I finally get in bed tonight!
  • shelbydodgeguy
    shelbydodgeguy Posts: 194 Member
    isjvdepifw7t.jpg
  • cee134