Personal safety when hiking alone

Options

Replies

• Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    So I’m a female who loves hiking alone. I tend to hike in pretty remote areas where there’s either no one or one or two cars in the lot. After a creepy incident I have started photographing the cars and plates then sending them to a designated ‘safety friend’ before going any further. I also no longer hike where I cannot get service and have recently taken up self-defence classes.

What do you find yourself doing? Am I overreacting?

You're not overreacting. You're really smart to photograph cars and send the info to a friend.

I'm a female who walks/jogs alone early in the morning in a nearby national park. This park is tame compared to other parks, but nevertheless, I cover miles of a rural landscape where I might see 5 cars or less in two hours.

I've never heard of an attack happening here, but you never know. I don't carry any weapons or pepper spray. I used to have a dog, but lost her a few years ago and am away too much to adopt another one right now.

You sound like you're doing all the right things.
  • jnomadica
    jnomadica Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I’m not sure this specifically helps the OP, but I’d recommend the book “The Gift of Fear” by Gavin de Becker to any woman. I found it eye-opening.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    jnomadica wrote: »
    I’m not sure this specifically helps the OP, but I’d recommend the book “The Gift of Fear” by Gavin de Becker to any woman. I found it eye-opening.

I didn't read “The Gift of Fear”, but did read discussions of it on another forum back when I was online dating.

Thanks to the ease of access to Florida criminal records, I was able to get a reality check when I was feeling red flags about guys I was considering meeting. They may have never have hurt me, but they had hurt other women with whom they had been in relationships. That was the end of my contact with them, and fortunately before I had given them any identifying information about me.

After that, I just trusted my gut.

I went on to meet a great man on OkCupid - we've been dating since 2013 and living together since 2016.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,200 Member
    Options
    jnomadica wrote: »

It's a good book for most anyone. And useful, actionable insight, not depressing or disempowering, as some might assume from the title. It's been a while, may need to re-read . . . .
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I'm very much in favor of carrying some kind of weapon, but I don't want to leave unmentioned that the most important thing you can do is to be aware of your surroundings. Attackers are looking for an easy target that they can take by surprise. Be alert, always looking around. Phone in hand is fine, but don't be buried in it. If you need headphones, only wear one. Simply looking and being alert will go a long ways towards keeping you safe.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    I'm in a country where pepper spray is also illegal and I carried a small keychain size sprayer anyway. I wasn't hiking in the wild but had to walk in a very sketchy part of town after dark. I'd rather be charged with carrying an illegal weapon than dead.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    So I’m a female who loves hiking alone. I tend to hike in pretty remote areas where there’s either no one or one or two cars in the lot. After a creepy incident I have started photographing the cars and plates then sending them to a designated ‘safety friend’ before going any further. I also no longer hike where I cannot get service and have recently taken up self-defence classes.

What do you find yourself doing? Am I overreacting?

Nope, definitely not overreacting! Always trust your instincts to help you avoid being the opening scene for a CSI or Criminal Minds episode. Sorry you ran across a jerk (or a couple of jerks).

I live in Southern California. I love hiking and there are great places to go here, many of which are remote (Angeles National Forest). I joined a couple Meet Up hiking groups—do you have something similar where you are?

I also post on Facebook where I’m going and link to the page on Meet Up where th hike is posted. So folks can see the rest of the group, who was signed up to go, etc. the hike organizers always post the exact GPS coordinates of where we’re meeting.

I’ve also been hiking with the same groups for a couple of years, so now there’s some familiarity.

None of my friends wanted to be active. So I had to go it alone. I carry a pocket knife and pepper spray (pepper spray also works on coyotes). I’ve taken self-defense as well. Dogs aren’t allowed on most trails here, and gun laws are strict (which I’m OK with).

Good to take precautions, and I’m not gonna hide because of the creepers. ‘Cause then the creepers win. And the creepers don’t get to win.

Hike on!
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Just a thought on the pepper spray issue... I live in Canada and it's illegal here too but bear spray isn't. If you can buy bear spray it's the same thing. Check that out.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness. I have fallen prey to the "everything is the same worldwide" thinking of North Americans. I had no idea there were no bears in Australia. My mistake.
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,720 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Oh my goodness. I have fallen prey to the "everything is the same worldwide" thinking of North Americans. I had no idea there were no bears in Australia. My mistake.

No worries. There are plenty of other animals in Australia that can be dangerous or deadly. ;)
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Like dropbears and yowies
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options

There are drop bears!!

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

There are drop bears!!

Is that what a koala looks like after you've been bitten by one of the giant Aussie spiders I keep seeing on FB? :lol:
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Like dropbears and yowies

At least there isn't a bigfoot.