Tweak my workout

Options
2»

Replies

• pdmatthews
    pdmatthews Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I’d leave bench press, take out pec deck and lateral delt raises swapping for overhead press, change leg exercises for squat, deadlifts. Add in a row and swap curls for chin ups. I’d do the exercises antagonistically and to stop boredom I’d do two versions. Eg

Day 1
    Barbell bench
    Barbell row
    OHP
    Chin ups with supine (palms to you)
    Barbell Squat
    Dumbbell RDL
    some ab movement if you like

Day 2
    Deadlift
    Goblet Squat
    Dumbbell OHP
    Chin ups with neutral grip (palms facing each other)
    Dumbbell bench
    One arm dumbbell row
    Some abs

OHP or dumbbell OHP both to be done standing

Your rep range is good I’d personally go either 12/8/6 OR 12/6-9/12-15

Also if possible I’d totally separate cardio from weights but that not be possible

Finally not sure how long you’ve been doing weights but if you’ve stalled on a full body after 12-18 months now might be the time to try and find time for a 4 day upper lower split.

Hope that helps 😀
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    allother94 wrote: »
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    allother94 wrote: »
    Thanks for the help! Sounds like I need to work on this.

In high school we did the power clean, dead lift, bench, and leg press. I am pretty comfortable with them. What if I went to those 4 and kept the pull down lats. Would that be somewhat sound? What other 2-3 exercises should I add for a good 2x a week total body?

I know there are programs out there I can read about, but I’m on my own here and am hoping to work with what I know to start and add new ones slowly.

I don't find power cleans useful for those who's goals don't involve building high velocity strength. Certainly not for hypertrophy.

I would suggest something along the lines of...
    Day 1: Deadlift, incline bench or tempo bench, RDL's.

Day 2: Leg press, bench, row.

Keeping your mains in the 5-6 and your final lift in reps of 10s.

Thanks for this! What are mains? Are you saying do 3 sets of more weight with 6 reps and then 2 sets of lower weights with 10 reps? Also, are RDLs Romanian dead lifts? If so, are you saying just do dead lifts and bench on day 1?

Sorry I have my own language sometimes.

In this case the first two lifts of each day keep in the 5-6 rep range.

Do the last lift of each day in the 10 rep range.

On all lifts never go to failure. Try to keep two in tank.

I suggest for day one either conventional or sumo lift which ever you are most familiar with Then do a roman dead lift for your last lift of the day. This will give you more stimulus than leg extensions/curls in most cases.

2-3 sets of all lifts will probably be enough to drive progress. Once progress begins to stall add a set about -5% less intensity.

• allother94
    allother94 Posts: 588 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Thanks for the comments so far! I’ve been playing with this some and doing some research. How does the below look? 2x a week, same routine each trip, for 6 months or so. 3 sets of 10, 8, 6.

Dumb bell rows
    Seated dumbbell shoulder press
    Seated Dumbbell curls
    Leg press <- I can’t do squats for some reason
    Overhead tricep dumbbell. <- would dips be better?
    Crunches <- can I use the ab machine as I like it better?
    Incline dumbbell press
    Standing dumbbell calf raises
    Bench press
    Barbell dead lift