Minimum salt and sugar

Options
2»

Replies

• PWHF
    PWHF Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    As I suspected I've gone through several of the regular foods I log that have 0 sodium and updated them with actual values. My typical daily intake has gone from way under to almost 2g over...
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    PWHF wrote: »
    As I suspected I've gone through several of the regular foods I log that have 0 sodium and updated them with actual values. My typical daily intake has gone from way under to almost 2g over...

That is a real problem on MFP - people creating entries without the sodium # or other #'s they aren't interested in. When I create a Food entry, I enter all fields which the manufacturer provides, as kind of a contribution to the public square, since the only #'s I care about are calories, sodium, and protein.

Always check an MFP entry in detail before using. Always.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    If you have 2 properly functioning kidneys, sodium will most likely regulate itself.
  • lgfrie
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    If you have 2 properly functioning kidneys, sodium will most likely regulate itself.

When you have high blood pressure, sodium becomes one of the most important variables in your life, even if your kidneys are winning awards for excellence.
  • psychod787
    Options
    lgfrie wrote: »

When you have high blood pressure, sodium becomes one of the most important variables in your life, even if your kidneys are winning awards for excellence.

Really? Being overweight is a far greater driver of hypertension in general. There is some evidence that sodium is an issue. There is also some that its not.
  • elitesportsdude
    elitesportsdude Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    With salt i believe you will need a minimum to maintain a healthy balance but with sugar, the less the better
  • lgfrie
    Options

Really? Being overweight is a far greater driver of hypertension in general. There is some evidence that sodium is an issue. There is also some that its not.

Sure, being obese is very bad for hypertension. So is excessive sodium. I'm pretty sure that is as close to "established medical fact" as anything out there. Not being a doctor, I won't argue the point, but having been told by several doctors over the years to reduce reduce reduce my sodium intake to avoid hypertension, I'll stick with that.

I know that when I have a very salty meal, my BP rockets up 15-20 points, and when I'm being really diligent about sticking to the 1500 mg my doc recommended, it's 10 points lower than when I get lazy and consume a more typical 2500-3000 mg. The relationship of BP and sodium is quite explicit in my little n=1 data sample.
  • psychod787
    Options

Sure, being obese is very bad for hypertension. So is excessive sodium. I'm pretty sure that is as close to "established medical fact" as anything out there. Not being a doctor, I won't argue the point, but having been told by several doctors over the years to reduce reduce reduce my sodium intake to avoid hypertension, I'll stick with that.

I know that when I have a very salty meal, my BP rockets up 15-20 points, and when I'm being really diligent about sticking to the 1500 mg my doc recommended, it's 10 points lower than when I get lazy and consume a more typical 2500-3000 mg. The relationship of BP and sodium is quite explicit in my little n=1 data sample.

Ok, the body likes to maintain a certain homeostatic range for sodium. If it didn't, we would all he dead from Hypernatremia. In general if someone has a few high sodium days, they will retain some water and then either sweat or piss it out. So i go back to my original statement. AS LONG AS SOMEONE HAS 2 GOOD WORKING KIDNEYS. Sodium is not the greatest thing to worry about. I am NOT advocating for someone to eat 5+ grams of salt a day, but a few days is not that great of a concern.
  • duskyjewel
    duskyjewel Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    For people who do not have preexisting hypertension issues, salt is no concern at all, because the kidneys do their job. Salt does not cause hypertension.

For people who already have hypertension, however, they can have problems with salt making their blood pressure worse and may have to restrict it. Probably because so many of the causes of hypertension either cause kidney damage or are related to kidney disease in the first place.
  • psychod787
    Options
    As OP has no hypertension issues. As little as 500mg a day will suffice.
  • PWHF
    Options

That is a real problem on MFP - people creating entries without the sodium # or other #'s they aren't interested in. When I create a Food entry, I enter all fields which the manufacturer provides, as kind of a contribution to the public square, since the only #'s I care about are calories, sodium, and protein.

This

Now I've entered the sodium numbers that were previously 0 for my most regular foods I'm over double the recommended amount in MFP. Keeping this in check is going to be a real challenge. Turns out my protein shake on it's own is 1170 mg - that's getting on for 50% of my daily recommended right there. Anything processed or ready prepared is high and any meat substitute has ridiculous amounts of salt in it.

Should probably start a new thread (if there isn't one already) about how do you keep your salt/sodium in the green on MFP...
  • lgfrie
    edited September 2019
    Options

This

Now I've entered the sodium numbers that were previously 0 for my most regular foods I'm over double the recommended amount in MFP. Keeping this in check is going to be a real challenge. Turns out my protein shake on it's own is 1170 mg - that's getting on for 50% of my daily recommended right there. Anything processed or ready prepared is high and any meat substitute has ridiculous amounts of salt in it.

Should probably start a new thread (if there isn't one already) about how do you keep your salt/sodium in the green on MFP...

1170 is reaaaallllllly excessive for a protein shake. That'd be better called a salt shake with protein added!

You are quite right, almost all processed foods, including meat substitutes, are very high in sodium.

From personal experience, it isn't very hard to transition to a reasonable 2000-2500 mg/day. Meats and vegetables have just trace amounts of sodium, and many other foods are reasonable too, except for highly processed foods. Ready prepared meals can be OK; I get meals delivered from a local company, Mighty Meals, that are quite reasonable sodium wise. The most important thing to keep in mind is that you do adjust to having less sodium and once you've made the adjustment, it's easy.

For instance, I get premium no salt added tuna delivered from Amazon. First time I had a can, I couldn't believe how bland it was LOL But over a few weeks I developed a taste for it. Now, other tuna tastes like a can of salt with a little tuna squeezed in and this premium stuff is loaded with actual tuna flavor and the only tuna I will eat. Same with Boars Head turkey no salt added - at first it was like, "wow, that has no flavor" but later on I realized it actually tastes like ... turkey, just like on Thanksgiving, and not a salt stick with turkey flavoring. Your taste buds and mind do adjust. The American diet is soaked in salt and it isn't hard to readjust to normal foods that occur in nature.

Any doctor -- and really, that'd be "any" doctor, because they all agree on this, and I've literally never met a doctor who wasn't adamant about it -- would tell you that getting your sodium down to something like MFP's recommended 2300 mg/day is one of the best things you can do for your health and lifespan. The American Heart Association says 1500, which is harder. I strive for that number; sometimes I make it, often I don't. But in general, no more 1170 mg shakes, for that kind of sodium ingestion, you may as well have a big, fat salami sub, which will taste better and give you all the protein of the shake too LOL
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options

This

What protein powder are you using or what are you adding to your shake that adds that much sodium?
  • PWHF
    Options
    This one here:

https://www.vivolife.co.uk/products/perform

Nutritional Values Per 100g Per 36g scoop
    Energy (kcal) 1557kj / 368kcal 560kj / 132kcal
    Fat 3.6g 1.30g
    Of which saturates 0.4g 0.14g
    Carbohydrates 11.5g 4.14g
    of which sugars 0.3g 0.11g
    Fibre 5g 1.8g
    Protein 70g 25g
    Salt 3.26g 1.17g
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    This one here:

https://www.vivolife.co.uk/products/perform

Nutritional Values Per 100g Per 36g scoop
    Energy (kcal) 1557kj / 368kcal 560kj / 132kcal
    Fat 3.6g 1.30g
    Of which saturates 0.4g 0.14g
    Carbohydrates 11.5g 4.14g
    of which sugars 0.3g 0.11g
    Fibre 5g 1.8g
    Protein 70g 25g
    Salt 3.26g 1.17g

Salt is not only sodium. That's 461 mg of sodium per serving.