What’s the next diet trend?

Options
124»

Replies

• GrizzledSquirrel
    GrizzledSquirrel Posts: 120 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options

I think it would be good if that caught on, for the environment's sake. I remember reading somewhere that the best WOE for the environment was essentially not all that different from DASH/Mediterranean. Buying local fruit + veg, not a lot of red meat, mostly poultry and some fish, but largely plant-based.

I actually live on the Med! I wish I got brownie points for that but yesterday I bought some mangetout grown in Kenya (no doubt, flown in). I just couldn’t face another meal including tomato, onion, courgettes, peppers and aubergines and wanted a change.

However, I felt guilty all evening. 😐

Re: the “buying local” rule - generally I agree. However, something that sometimes surprises me is that some goods which might seem AWFUL at first (for example - picking up a bottle of Australian Chardonnay when you live in Europe) actually isn’t THAT bad because it is transported (slowly) by boat rather than by air. Conversely, when I lived in the UK, I assumed that buying British tomatoes would be fine, but actually, it would be a lot more energy efficient to grow them somewhere hot (like the Med) rather than a heated greenhouse, and then transport them to the UK.

SO CONFUSING!!!

The relative harm our food production has on our environment is a real minefield. I definitely need to inform myself better. I hope that in 10 years, we’ll all find this stuff second nature and make our food choices accordingly.
  • Pamela_Sue
    Pamela_Sue Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »
    I think the next wave will be along the lines of the Tom Brady TB12 diet; super-restrictive, centered around anti-inflamitory and/or alkaline vs. acidic properties. Probably some talk about healthy gut biome thrown in for good measure.

Interesting. Every since this poster mentioned 'gut biome', MFP is constantly barraging me with gut biome ads from Gut Connection. And I didn't even Google 'gut biome'.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,084 Member
    Options

I think it would be good if that caught on, for the environment's sake. I remember reading somewhere that the best WOE for the environment was essentially not all that different from DASH/Mediterranean. Buying local fruit + veg, not a lot of red meat, mostly poultry and some fish, but largely plant-based.

I actually live on the Med! I wish I got brownie points for that but yesterday I bought some mangetout grown in Kenya (no doubt, flown in). I just couldn’t face another meal including tomato, onion, courgettes, peppers and aubergines and wanted a change.

However, I felt guilty all evening. 😐

Re: the “buying local” rule - generally I agree. However, something that sometimes surprises me is that some goods which might seem AWFUL at first (for example - picking up a bottle of Australian Chardonnay when you live in Europe) actually isn’t THAT bad because it is transported (slowly) by boat rather than by air. Conversely, when I lived in the UK, I assumed that buying British tomatoes would be fine, but actually, it would be a lot more energy efficient to grow them somewhere hot (like the Med) rather than a heated greenhouse, and then transport them to the UK.

SO CONFUSING!!!

The relative harm our food production has on our environment is a real minefield. I definitely need to inform myself better. I hope that in 10 years, we’ll all find this stuff second nature and make our food choices accordingly.

I think you're an optimist. In 10 years, we may know more, but our food systems are changing dynamically all the time, in ways that affect their nutrition, environmental profile, social impact (child labor, virtual or literal slave labor, and more), and other matters of humanitarian concern. I've lived through a bunch of decades now; whatever our best intentions, I'm pretty sure the next decade won't change more slowly, so we won't be able to keep up with a goal of understanding it all, and doing truly minimum harm.

Sadly, I think most of us well-off (in global/historical terms) people in the developed world are now unavoidably each little moving bundles of constant global harm. IMO, decent people do what we can to mitigate the harm we cause, starting with the things that are easiest for us personally . . . then simply feel gratitude for what we have through undeserved good fortune, and act generously as we're able with its fruits. Agonizing beyond capability to understand and correct: It reduces harm not at all, so is pointless.
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    My guess on the next big trend will be genotype diets (matching your DNA to a specific diet plan).
  • duskyjewel
    duskyjewel Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Kalex1975 wrote: »
    My guess on the next big trend will be genotype diets (matching your DNA to a specific diet plan).

We already know this is woo. But, hasn't stopped anyone before....
  • EmBeatie
    EmBeatie Posts: 33 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Billy Connolly does the blood type diet, the sort of thing I'd thought he'd mock. I'm waiting hopefully for the next shock scientific twist, that sugar's actually good for you, and vegetables are bad.