What’s the next diet trend?

Options

Replies

• Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Given how fed up some people are with keto, I'm thinking an ALL carb diet. Only carbs, all the time.

Personally I want an all bread diet. I could happily live off artisan bread. Heck, when we visited Japan the overwhelming majority of my meals came from bakeries.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    dodea48 wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I wonder if restriction cycling will manage to gather steam. The basic idea is that you heavily restrict for 2 weeks and then eat maintenance for 2 weeks. What it is supposed to do is continually reset your BMR back to normal to improve weight loss efficiency. It is taking 'diet breaks' and elevating them to the next level.

when will normal sensible eating catch on

when it's easy for the industry to sell... don't hold your breath.
  • Pearl4686
    Pearl4686 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Bread, bagles, baguettes, flavoured breads, stuffed breads, pretzel bread, seed bread, mmm the list goes on...
  • GrizzledSquirrel
    GrizzledSquirrel Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I reckon there’s probably a “low carbon” diet on its way. Not focused on personal wellbeing / weight-loss - but with a broader conscience of the carbon footprint of eating foods out of season or which fly miles from another country or which use significant energy to produce.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Terytha wrote: »
    Given how fed up some people are with keto, I'm thinking an ALL carb diet. Only carbs, all the time.

Personally I want an all bread diet. I could happily live off artisan bread. Heck, when we visited Japan the overwhelming majority of my meals came from bakeries.

Some nearly all carb (and almost no fat) diets have been around as long as Keto and have also been used to treat medical ailments.
  • JeBeBu
    JeBeBu Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    MoxyLeigh wrote: »
    ^Yes please.

I remember reading as a kid about "fruitarians" (basically vegan except you only eat the fruits of plants, thereby not killing the plant itself) and I keep thinking it's only a matter of time before that manages to be the next big thing.

Some fruitarians will eat only what falls (or would fall) naturally from a plant: that is, plant foods that can be harvested without killing or harming the plant.[2][3][4] These foods consist primarily of culinary fruits, nuts, and seeds.[5] According to author Adam Gollner, some fruitarians eat only fallen fruit.[6] Some do not eat grains, believing it is unnatural to do so,[7] and some fruitarians feel that it is improper for humans to eat seeds as they contain future plants,[6] or nuts and seeds,[8] or any foods besides juicy fruits.[9]

• nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    I hate trends. I feel like people jump on the bandwagon expecting a quick fix when life doesn’t work that way.
  • CardinalComb
    CardinalComb Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    JeBeBu wrote: »
    MoxyLeigh wrote: »
    ^Yes please.

I remember reading as a kid about "fruitarians" (basically vegan except you only eat the fruits of plants, thereby not killing the plant itself) and I keep thinking it's only a matter of time before that manages to be the next big thing.

Some fruitarians will eat only what falls (or would fall) naturally from a plant: that is, plant foods that can be harvested without killing or harming the plant.[2][3][4] These foods consist primarily of culinary fruits, nuts, and seeds.[5] According to author Adam Gollner, some fruitarians eat only fallen fruit.[6] Some do not eat grains, believing it is unnatural to do so,[7] and some fruitarians feel that it is improper for humans to eat seeds as they contain future plants,[6] or nuts and seeds,[8] or any foods besides juicy fruits.[9]

Talk about a restrictive diet... lol
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,710 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    I would love the next trend to be "Customized Diet". Where people educate themselves, keep a journal and see what works for THEM!

Ugh...that just REEKS of effort. Just tell me exactly what foods to eat and when so I don't have to do anything or think. :D

Lol! Well there would be books, coaches,tools and someone. ( maybe me) who writes a simplified way where it has more instruction... been working on this. My nutritional plan( diet) is a personalized compilation of all the madness I put myself through 😊 It is a synergistic combination of Meditteranian, pescatarian, low carb, higher fat and protein vegan adaptations
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    If the meat lovers pizza diet doesn't catch on, perhaps there's hope for the applesauce and mayonnaise on wonder bread sandwich diet. 🙇
  • hmhill17
    hmhill17 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    D-Plan Dieting: Slim Yourself Beautiful
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    It would be nice if it were something like the DASH or Mediterranean diet but who am I kidding!
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I reckon there’s probably a “low carbon” diet on its way. Not focused on personal wellbeing / weight-loss - but with a broader conscience of the carbon footprint of eating foods out of season or which fly miles from another country or which use significant energy to produce.

I think it would be good if that caught on, for the environment's sake. I remember reading somewhere that the best WOE for the environment was essentially not all that different from DASH/Mediterranean. Buying local fruit + veg, not a lot of red meat, mostly poultry and some fish, but largely plant-based.

I also think it's going to be a gut biome fad diet next. Maybe you eat nothing but yoghurt, sauerkraut, kombucha, and kefir.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options

I think it would be good if that caught on, for the environment's sake. I remember reading somewhere that the best WOE for the environment was essentially not all that different from DASH/Mediterranean. Buying local fruit + veg, not a lot of red meat, mostly poultry and some fish, but largely plant-based.

I also think it's going to be a gut biome fad diet next. Maybe you eat nothing but yoghurt, sauerkraut, kombucha, and kefir.

Insufficient.

Those are the bugs: Probiotics.

You also need to eat stuff the bugs like to eat: Prebiotics. Generally understood to be nondigestible fibers, oligosaccharides being the main group so far. Examples are things like chicory root, Jerusalem artichokes (a.k.a sunchokes), various Alliums (onions, garlic, etc.), jicama, some grains (barley, oats), and much more. Some probiotic foods contain some prebiotics (often inulin, from what I've seen on labels, but

You can't "woo" me anymore, but just to clarify and (I hope) reduce your wish that you could: I'm not advocating for the diet.

I'm just explaining some of what would be likely to be its features, based on current scientific understanding (as I understand it) of gut microbiota. There is not, in my understanding, definitive science about which bugs are good, which bugs eat specifically what, what benefits or harms particular bugs might bring under what circumstances, etc. IOW, we're in the perfect spot to introduce pseudoscientific madness.

It's interesting research, that's about it, right now, AFAIK.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Insufficient.

Those are the bugs: Probiotics.

You also need to eat stuff the bugs like to eat: Prebiotics. Generally understood to be nondigestible fibers, oligosaccharides being the main group so far. Examples are things like chicory root, Jerusalem artichokes (a.k.a sunchokes), various Alliums (onions, garlic, etc.), jicama, some grains (barley, oats), and much more. Some probiotic foods contain some prebiotics (often inulin, from what I've seen on labels, but

You can't "woo" me anymore, but just to clarify and (I hope) reduce your wish that you could: I'm not advocating for the diet.

I'm just explaining some of what would be likely to be its features, based on current scientific understanding (as I understand it) of gut microbiota. There is not, in my understanding, definitive science about which bugs are good, which bugs eat specifically what, what benefits or harms particular bugs might bring under what circumstances, etc. IOW, we're in the perfect spot to introduce pseudoscientific madness.

It's interesting research, that's about it, right now, AFAIK.

You forgot to add that we are, as we always seem to be, also in the perfect spot for people to pre-cure themselves of diseases they may never get.

What will well fed gut bugs do for an otherwise healthy individual? My guess is very little.

I eat a variety of food including pre and pro because they fit into my normal nutritional and calorie wheelhouse. I am not sure how much any of it actually moves or sustains my health markers but I am eating for just me not for billions.

• MamboRumba
    MamboRumba Posts: 423 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    My favorite fad diet was the Lap Band Diet! 🤣

Remember that? That was all the rage 7 years ago!

Anyone watch Real Housewives of New Jersey?

‘My rich Daddy bought me a lap band.......but, then I had the lap band loosened up a bit so that I could eat!’ -Lauren Manzo
  • MamboRumba
    MamboRumba Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    yukfoo wrote: »
    Breatharianism... The ultimate weight loss woe :D

nedia (Latin for 'fasting') or breatharianism /brɛθˈɛəriənɪzəm/ is the belief that it is possible for a person to live without consuming food, and in some cases water.

They just replayed an old Wife Swap episode where one of the moms was a vegan and ‘ate’ the sun....during meditation.

The little boy (new son) came down for breakfast and she took him outside to ‘eat’ the sun.

His interview was hilarious. He said. My new mom is crazy. She eats the sun! 🤣