Quick, what do I do with perfect tomatoes!

2»

Replies

• hmhill17
    hmhill17 Posts: 283 Member
    Country Captain. About 2 cups of chopped tomatoes = 1 14.5 ounce can of crushed in my experience.

+1 Homemade ketchup. I hadn't eaten ketchup for years until I made my own.

Slice, salt, devour. Pretend it's an apple and just eat it?
  • tlpina82
    tlpina82 Posts: 229 Member
    Bolognese... There's nothing better than Spaghetti Bolognese with paste made from beautifully ripe tomatoes.
  • marezac6815
    marezac6815 Posts: 69 Member
    Freeze them, wash, core, cut off blemishes, put on a large sheet pan, put in freezer, when they are frozen solid, put them in heavy freezer bags, then in the later days you can take out what you need and add them to soups, or receipes that call for tomatoes, the skins will come right off when heated, and you can remove them if you wish... Easy and fast way to save them and still enjoy, later... Hope this helps!!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Perfect tomatoes would mean tomatoes and cottage cheese for me!🤗
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,135 Member
    Put them in the fridge and they will hold for several days. I buy the Costco's large tomato box all the time and they never go bad. If they get too ripped I add them to the soups, chili, stir-fry veggies or stews. I don't do tomato sauce because I don't eat pasta.

How does a nice tomato-avocado-cheese sandwich on toasted bread sounds?
    Tomato, avocado, heart of palms, and artichoke hearts salad with olive oil, is also tasty.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,135 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    Put them in the fridge and they will hold for several days. I buy the Costco's large tomato box all the time and they never go bad. If they get too ripped I add them to the soups, chili, stir-fry veggies or stews. I don't do tomato sauce because I don't eat pasta.

Tomato, avocado, heart of palms, and artichoke hearts salad with olive oil, is also tasty.

WTF?!?!?! great way to kill the fresh summer tasting tomatos.

I live in the California desert, if I were to leave the tomatoes on the counter top, they would be trashed in a couple of days. Everything goes inside the fridge in my neck of the woods, unless it needs to ripe more.

Besides, I don't understand why you think that is bad keeping the tomatoes in the fridge. But you do you, and me and my tomatoes do us. (Lol)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    Very first link / study. Never mind my and many other personal tastes. I am talking about summer fresh field grown hairloom tomatoes. Not your winter crop which is tasteless around here.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/heres-why-you-dont-put-tomatoes-in-the-fridge/

I totally agree with you, and I think it's awesome that you weave little sweaters for your tomatoes on your hairloom. :smile:
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    As for the OP's question, the simplest preps are best when it comes to perfect, field grown, in-season tomatoes.

Just slice and salt them, with a splash of balsamic vinegar (yum) or a schmear of mayo (yuk, but to each their own).

Or make a minimalist salad (last night I had tomatoes, bacon, and chickpeas with a homemade dressing made of greek yogurt with a little kefir to thin it out, plus salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and just a bit of smoked paprika and ground mustard).

Or make a BLT on good homemade or artisanal bread, or at least a farmhouse style bread if you're going for sliced bread from a large-scale commercial bakery.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,594 Member
    https://pisangsusu.com/442-lalab-with-tomato/

I typically skip the vegetable oil. Doesn't need it.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    https://detoxinista.com/instant-pot-spaghetti-sauce/ i made and froze about 4 batches of this it was tasty.I added other veggies like green peppers and mushrooms. I added a pound of ground beef to the batch we ate. There were no left overs. I almost didn't try it because of the "detox" theme of her site but I'm glad I did.
  • Jacquelynfern
    Jacquelynfern Posts: 1 Member
    I grow about 30 tomato plants in my yard so we go through a lot. We eat them in homemade salsas, pico de gallos, salads, BLAT (add some avacado), pananis, and caprese salad but my favorite way to eat garden ripe tomatoes is bruschetta! The garlic, olive oil, basil, and balsamic vinegarette is amazing.
    We also can out tomatoes which is tedious or roast them with garlic and onions eat immediately or freeze and have roasted tomatoe soup.
  • suncakemom
    suncakemom Posts: 9 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    Even easier is Spanish pa ambt tomaquet. Grate the tomato on a box grater, discarding the skin left in your hand and collect the pulp in a bowl. Toast your bread, rub with the cut side of a halved raw clove of garlic. Prick some holes in the bread with a fork and drizzle on some good olive oil. Top with the tomato pulp.

or just throw that half clove of garlic, two tomatoes into a blender with 6 seconds of extra virgin olive oil and you have the tomato sauce to spread on the toast. ;D
  • suncakemom
    suncakemom Posts: 9 Member
    Gisel2015 wrote: »

You don't have to eat pasta to do tomato sauce... Try salsa brava with potatos (patatas bravas) it's amazing!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    Even easier is Spanish pa ambt tomaquet. Grate the tomato on a box grater, discarding the skin left in your hand and collect the pulp in a bowl. Toast your bread, rub with the cut side of a halved raw clove of garlic. Prick some holes in the bread with a fork and drizzle on some good olive oil. Top with the tomato pulp.

Why? Why do all that and not just slice a lovely fresh ripe hairloom tomato and place on that nice garlic bread?

I suspect that the tomato pulp soaks in with the olive oil, making the perfect crunchy/soaked bread. This sounds delicious. Quick, people. Tomato season is closing in parts of the world... :wink: