Am I unhealthy? BMI says I'm obese..

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    SnifterPug wrote: »
    Hard to believe people wooed @Azdak, who has been in the fitness industry for several decades and has been a valuable contributor to these forums for over ten years and 8000 posts.

I hope those woos were from new people who think it's WooHoo.

Azdak, you said "for eight more weeks..." You retiring? If so, early Congratulations. :flowerforyou:

Thank you for clearing that up. My first instinct on seeing a "woo" option was to assume it meant "woo". But then I wondered if it actually meant "WooHoo" so I have never dared press it at all.

OOOHHHHHH!

Not to derail this thread, but look! Myfitnesspal has decided to change the Woo to "Disagree". Posted yesterday:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10759847/woo-be-gone#latest
    Very good news.

:lol: from that thread:
    Woo will be going away in the next week so go ahead and get it out of your system while you still can. Woo because you love something, woo because its pseudo-science, woo to your heart's content

Sorry for the derail. If you haven’t already, please start a thread @cmriverside. (Just opened MFP so not caught up yet)

1) for informing folks, the responsible option.

2) so we can all go woo crazy without upsetting folk. A last irresponsible hoorah.

Cheers, h.

There is a thread? That's why I put it in my post. If you want a thread about it, be my guest. :flowerforyou:

In Challenges!
  • Clairin
    Clairin Posts: 95 Member
    edited September 2019
    Hi, Im a petite also. Im 5 feet 2.5. People here have really responded well I think with sound advice and information.I joined the petite group here on MFP and for me its great. You might be interested to join also? I looked up your measurements and its putting you as Obese class 1. https://www.calculator.net/bmi-calculator.html?ctype=standard&cage=23&csex=f&cheightfeet=5&cheightinch=3&cpound=171&cheightmeter=180&ckg=65&printit=0&x=24&y=13 . If you are already in a healthy streak with training and eating well and have already lost weight then surely the advice is to continue with that. You seem to be on the right path already. You mention you had eating disorder issues in the past and really you dont want to spark that again. Better to continue to educate yourself about health and fitness and your own body in a balanced way. As mentioned by others as a young person you may not have health issues now but they come in time with carrying excess body fat especially around the middle. So its a good idea to monitor where you are at in terms of carrying excess fat in these areas. Like others said a Doctor or nutritionist is really the best person to advise you on that. You mention your Mom is a Doctor but perhaps your own private Doctor is the better person to give you unbiased advice. To compare us as petites for example, in my profile photo I was 112 pounds maybe that helps you to see what another petite who weight trains a lot looks like in a photo. For me personally it was my body fat % which is/was more of an issue than my weight. I've lost 2 pounds weight since joining MFP a few weeks ago and for me as a petite that really shows which wouldnt on a taller person. However, what I lost in body fat, I've gained in muscle as Im measuring it with a scales that does that. You might consider getting scales that measures this? Ethnicity can affect what weight looks like on a petite. I have an asian friend same height as me. Her frame and weight not the same as mine and wouldnt look the same as my frame which is more Mediterranean. So I understand a what you might mean about how you look.The link I added about BMI is saying for our height the weight range is from 104 to 140. This to me takes into account what I just mentioned about a persons frame. Thanks.
  • After I went to the hospital with my third child, I lost a lot of weight. Then I started taking hormonal birth control and gained 20 lbs back. I gave up a little with 3 small children and working. Now that I am fighting my way back to healthy and fit, I am down 60 lbs. But still at the overwieght/obese line.

BMI can be accurate but I have always been solid. I am in a similar situation where I am big butt and thighs, but also bang out at least an hour workout of weight lifting, HIIT, and aerobics. Yes, I (and you) can afford to lose some more weight (currently 5'2 and 160, 28) but dont take BMI as your main measurement. I suggest using a body fat calculator based on your measurements. BMI has me at about 115-125 but body fat puts me closer to 140 as
    Healthy
  • samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Hard to believe people wooed @Azdak, who has been in the fitness industry for several decades and has been a valuable contributor to these forums for over ten years and 8000 posts.

I hope those woos were from new people who think it's WooHoo.

Azdak, you said "for eight more weeks..." You retiring? If so, early Congratulations. :flowerforyou:

I... don't think that's why it was woo'd 11 times (I was not one of them)

Its not. BMI is one of those unquestionable truths on here, cast any doubt and people get trigger happy with the woo's.

I speak from experience lol.

When I set about losing weight I aimed for a healthy BMI, basically to prove it wasnt healthy at all for me.

Im short and stocky, I carry a reasonable amount of muscle/mass (certainly nothing to write home about) and have always been overweight/obese according to BMI despite it being patently untrue to anyone who looked at me.

When I got down to a "healthy weight", literally the top end of the band, people thought I had serious illness. I was wasting, gaunt, weak... There was nothing healthy about it.

I spent some time in the gym, ended up putting a stone on over that healthy range, and have never looked and felt so good.

• phx92
    phx92 Posts: 87 Member
    It sounds like you have a really healthy lifestyle which is a good thing! I am 5’4 so just a bit taller than you, and I went between 158-170 for most of my early 20s. At the time I wanted to lose weight bc I wanted to look thin, but I was probably happiest with my body at about 165. Even though I was on the high end of overweight by BMI I felt good physically and my doctor had no concerns either. (Part of it may have been my weight distribution—I have always been kind of hourglass shaped.) I gained a lot of weight the last three years mostly around the middle and I can just feel that I am at an unhealthy weight. Definitely talk to your doctor, get your blood work done and make sure you don’t have any health concerns at the moment. Losing weight probably wouldn’t be a bad thing, but focusing on keeping a healthy lifestyle is probably more important in the long run
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    I think, opinion only, that BMI has serious limitations. It does not measure lean muscle or fat alone. It's was developed in the 1830's. Maybe more work will be done to make it a more accurate assessment. In My opinion, it should be used as a guide rather than a classification tool. I'm an RN and I have to use it in practice when doing health assessments. But I also consider other medical conditions. I've seen people with well defined muscles and looking fit and healthy and their bmi says overweight? I don't like the BMI tool personally.
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    I am an RN and I do like the BMI tool - used in conjunction with clinical picture, ie seeing the actual patient.

Is usually blatantly obvious whether somebody has a very high BMI because they are have an unusual muscle mass, ie elite body builders - or they are plain old fat.

Yes I've seen people who are fit and healthy and BMI says overweight too - usually young active men who have a BMI of 27 or so.
    They are the demographic often just above upper limits and still healthy.

Young women with BMI over 30,( ie OP) much less likely to be healthy weight.
    Highly unlikely her BMI does not reflect true obesity, or at least significant overweight. As I said before.

The fact that BMI was first invented in 1830's doesn't change its validity. Maths hasn't changed and human body structure hasn't changed in that time.

I agree completely, Maybe I shouldn't write so late at night because I was pretty much saying (or trying to say) the same thing, but that I prefer waist to height ratio rather than BMI.
    As for saying it is a 120 year old formula, I didn't mean to imply that it was invalid, just that there are more considerations we can look at for each individual.
  • john_not_typical
    john_not_typical Posts: 44 Member
    I think you need to ask your doctor what they think. I was obese at one time on the BMI scale and my doctor told me not to lose more weight. He told me don’t become one of those cyclists with eating disorders to lose more weight. It really depends on the person.