When a man cheats, is it the woman's fault?

Options

Replies

• adventuring
    Options
    Well, I don't see any reason he couldn't have broken it off before cheating. And anyway, even if she hadn't been awful to him, it's not possible to answer your question because every marriage is different, isn't it? Some people cheat on others out of compulsion or poor impulse control or any number of reasons, not just because they're not treated well. So "is it the woman's fault" isn't a question that can be answered yes resolutely unless that's followed with "because she should do anything to keep her husband from straying" which is just kind of blatantly sexist and outdated. *Sometimes* it's probably the wife's fault a husband feels he *wants* to cheat; however, that still doesn't mean he should. If he's going to, he might as well just propose a divorce beforehand. Same outcome, after all.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    This is why the accepted societal norm of monogamy is ridiculous. I truly believe some people aren't cut out for it.

I also, truly believe, that when you cheat on your spouse, for any reason, you should cowboy up and say, "Yeah, I did it. So what." and not blame your spouse.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    oh boy is that a tricky subject.

There is no real justification for cheating. If you're not happy in a relationship then you need to break if off before moving on or work at making your current relationship a good one.

but you're friend can't honestly be surprised he went and found what he was looking for in someone else when she treated him that bad, seriously?

See, that's what we all said! I felt bad for her, but what did she expect?

I do not condone cheating on your spouse EVER. However, I do "understand" it in situations such as this. I have this same viewpoint. If she withheld sex, she shouldn't be surprised that he went looking for it somewhere else. If that makes it "her" fault in your mind then, so be it.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    If you make a vow to be faithful and YOU choose not to be faithful, how would it be someone else's fault?

Everyone chooses their own actions. If you don't like the way someone is treating you, leave. If you would prefer not to be a cheater, get divorced FIRST.

Blame is about failing to take responsibility for your own actions. It's very popular.
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Wow yeah, tricky subject. I think there's so many factors that go into this, it's not a black and white situation. My first instinct is to say that if he was that unhappy he should have left. BUT...we don't know the rest of the story. I had a friend who was going through the same thing with his wife. He felt that he couldn't leave because he was afraid she would run off with his kids. So he cheated. In his case, yes I did have sympathy for him. I felt that if she treated him better he wouldn't have cheated and I felt that it was her fault as much as it was his. I have no sympathy for a man that has a great wife and cheats just to cheat (or vice versa). If a person has tried everything possible with their spouse to make things better and it hasn't worked, and cannot leave for some reason, then yes I think there are two parties at fault.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    TRICK QUESTION! GET OUTTA THERE! THAT PLANE'S ON FIRE!!! EJECT! EJECT! EJECT!!!
    smiley-transport006.gif
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    regardless of how she acted or treated him, it was not her fault he cheated. If anything, he should have sat her down and explained how that was making him feel, then if that didn't show any results, LEAVE her, then have lots of crazy sex with everyone, not cheat on her.

This.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

See, that's what we all said! I felt bad for her, but what did she expect?
    Does she know how she was treating him? Most crazy b|tches don't know they are crazy b|tches!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Everyone makes their own choices. He chose to cheat. She was wrong for treating him like crap, but that is a different topic. He should have left.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    No relationship problem is ever solved by putting your p*nis in someone else. Likewise, no relationship problem is ever solved by putting yourself on another's p*nis. It's really that simple. If you can't stand the way things are - leave.:grumble:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Whean a man cheats, is it the woman's fault? NO! The man was responsible for his own actions. If his wife was treating him that badly, they should have tried to work things out somehow and if they couldn't then get a divorce. There's never any excuse for cheating! I wonder, was the phrase "for better or for worse" a part of their wedding vows?
  • Cat52169
    Cat52169 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Maybe she's being a complete pain and he just needs some strange.

Ok that last one wasn't a good reason...

LOL! Nice!!!
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    It takes two people to wreck a marriage. Sounds like she wasn't a great wife, for whatever reason. Cheating is never okay.
  • obifatkanobi
    Options
    The answer to both is no and no. Man or woman, it doesn't matter, we are all responsible for our own actions and can choose to do the right thing or the wrong, but the choice is ours alone. There were, are, different options available, even separation, but cheating is just that, and no matter what we cheat at, we only cheat our self in the end.
  • Xandi
    Xandi Posts: 319
    Options
    It is never anyone's fault, no one can make you cheat.
    Having been cheated on and done some cheating of my own,
    I find it is passive aggressive behavior.
    I prefer a man who can tell me what he wants, even if that is another woman.
    I prefer the ability to make my own decision.
  • CountryDevil
    CountryDevil Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    No... it's never the other person's fault. You can try to justify it, but take ownership of your actions.

Period.

This!!!

There many problems that can come up in a marriage. It can be financial strain, bedroom performance, communication of just plain not getting along. But none of these justifies any reason for cheating. It does not matter who cheated, but the one that does is the one that is in the wrong. ALWAYS!!!
  • Cat52169
    Cat52169 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    It depends,...did she cook and clean around the house for him prior to it happening?

NICE! LOL! I love reading all the male perspectives :laugh:
  • quichebradford
    quichebradford Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    It depends,...did she cook and clean around the house for him prior to it happening?

No, HE did everything! Cooked, took care of the kids, did the laundry...he catered to her every need. He gave her whatever she wanted.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    No relationship problem is ever solved by putting your p*nis in someone else. Likewise, no relationship problem is ever solved by putting yourself on another's p*nis. It's really that simple. If you can't stand the way things are - leave.:grumble:

"It was an accident"

Yes, I understand you accidentally fell on his erect ****.
  • T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    Leave & file for a divorce...

Then, have copious amounts of sex with other people.

In that order.

Winning....LOL!