Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Muscle Building and Fat Loss...

J72FIT
J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
When it comes to building muscle, people often put too much emphasis on food, when it comes to fat loss, people often put too much emphasis on exercise.

IMO, it should be the other way around.

Thoughts...?

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    You gave two examples, then said it should be the other way around. I know I have a headache, but can't make sense of what your opinion is. 😞

My opinion is that a calorie deficit leads to fat loss. Exercise leads to toning up.

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    J72FIT wrote: »
    When it comes to building muscle, people often put too much emphasis on food, when it comes to fat loss, people often put too much emphasis on exercise.

IMO, it should be the other way around.

Thoughts...?

Are you talking about people on MFP? Or more generally (social media, magazines, etc)?

I rarely see people here arguing for exercise over diet as the key to weight loss.
    I routinely see people talking about he importance of diet in muscle building. I assume that's to counter balance what everyone already knows thanks to social media, magazines, and the rest - that lifting is how you build muscle.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,215 Member
    Agreed. Too many people think they can outrun their fork and the only way to build muscle is to follow a "bulking" plan that has that gaining at too fast of a rate for gains to be lean (which is usually what they're seeking).
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    I agree with you. :)
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    You gave two examples, then said it should be the other way around. I know I have a headache, but can't make sense of what your opinion is. 😞

My opinion is that a calorie deficit leads to fat loss. Exercise leads to toning up.

Your opinion is what I was trying to get at.

Well, of course it is. I have that effect on people. 😂
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    While calories are on top shelf for hypertrophy, protein and the quality there of is a key factor to those who are not carnivores, less male, advanced age, health etc...

For hypertrophy I would certainly put more emphasis on the amount and quality of protein to a 73 year old lady who has had her colon resectioned compared to a young 21 year old man filled to the brim with testosterone that has zero health issues.

There isn't just one blanket that covers all people. This is where the recommended daily consumption has failed. Current literature shows this time and time again and it is ignored.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited September 2019
    I agree that the fitness industry is absolutely polluted with horrible content.

That being said, there are people who are putting out excellant content.

I mean we all know that protein in needed for hypertrophy, but do the majority of people understand if your protein is plant based you would definitely want to check your EAAs are adequate and probably up your protein for optimal results?

Macros question can be important for many people once you get them on the right track for hypertrophy long term.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    I blame this on the diet and fitness industry, who, IMO purposefully overcomplicate this stuff to keep themselves in business.

I think it is interesting what the fitness industry has been able to kind of sell people as ideas because of what they can't sell to them as products - there's only so many weights and barbells that can be sold, but BCAA's, preworkouts, fat burners, and protein powders can all be sold to the same individuals for daily consumption.

Which I think creates an incredibly funny image: all kinds of people wanting to look like a barbarian, but they're mixing up more powders than a wizard.

This is the Gillette business model. You can only sell so many razors but people are going to keep needing those blades.

Love the image of the barbarian vs. the wizard.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    SnifterPug wrote: »
    I agree. One big eye opener for me was when I signed up with a PT. He sat me on the rowing machine and told me to row flat out until I had burned ten calories. I thought he was joking or had made a mistake. But no. I was astonished by the effort required to burn ten miserable calories. And I did not reward myself with a muffin afterwards.

This makes me that I think the "you can use exercise to create a large deficit" wisdom is primarily useful for people who have and are able to maintain a large aerobic base. Well that combined with what happens to me when I ride my bike or erg (row on a rowing machine) more and don't make sweeping changes to my calorie consumption.

Had your personal trainer given me the same challenge it would have taken well under a minute - according to my last 5k test I was burning 16 calories a minute and I didn't PB. That's not because I'm some sort of Adonis, it's because rowing is one of my two sports of choice. With the bike training I do inside currently, I'm typically burning over 6 calories a minute and my FTP isn't especially amazing (or at all amazing).

But again, I am not exercising with the sole or primary goal of fat loss. My "oh - I really need to work on my aerobic base" realization came from how much that 5k hurt and knowing that my limiter was my aerobic base. All of the cycling stuff I've done in the past 2 years has revolved around long (100 mi) rides outside and wanting to keep up my fitness. Yes, most of my exercise will end in me losing weight without a lot of effort, but that's not the point for me.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    aokoye wrote: »

Had your personal trainer given me the same challenge it would have taken well under a minute

Indeed. It only took me about a minute as even then I could sustain around 600cal per hour for the requisite minute to burn the ten calories. But even now I'm sure I couldn't sustain that pace for an hour even though my all-out sprint pace can reach 1000cal per hour for 30 secs or so.

I do choose to use exercise to help with a deficit but it's damned hard work. I speak as one who spent 12 years mooching about on a treadmill at a fast walking pace for half an hour a day fondly imagining I was getting fit and earning a dessert to boot.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member

Had your personal trainer given me the same challenge it would have taken well under a minute

Indeed. It only took me about a minute as even then I could sustain around 600cal per hour for the requisite minute to burn the ten calories. But even now I'm sure I couldn't sustain that pace for an hour even though my all-out sprint pace can reach 1000cal per hour for 30 secs or so.

I do choose to use exercise to help with a deficit but it's damned hard work. I speak as one who spent 12 years mooching about on a treadmill at a fast walking pace for half an hour a day fondly imagining I was getting fit and earning a dessert to boot.

And see that's the thing, last winter I was routinely burning 500-700 calories over the course of 30-60 minutes three days a week on an erg. But that was after multiple seasons of bike riding and with an organized plan.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,012 Member

And see that's the thing, last winter I was routinely burning 500-700 calories over the course of 30-60 minutes three days a week on an erg. But that was after multiple seasons of bike riding and with an organized plan.

On the one hand, that's a nice calorie burn. On the other hand, it's less than a fancy sweet latte and a bagel with cream cheese.

;)