Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Favorite low calorie foods that are high in sodium.

Pricklypineapple422
Pricklypineapple422 Posts: 52 Member
edited September 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
I have dysautonomia and need to increase my sodium intake to 5,000 to 7,000 mg a day. I am able to take some salt tablets to help, but they can be hard on the stomach and to get that much sodium I will have to take a ton of the tablets. My goal is to find some foods or drinks that are tasty and not too high in calorie, while also providing some sodium.

I am trying to consume two powerade zeros a day, they provide 250 mg per bottle. But with those added, I am still only averaging around 2000 mg of sodium a day. I don't love the taste of salt, and the things I do like (chips, popcorn, etc) are all high in calories and junk food, which I would like to avoid. Also, I will eat meat occasionally, but mostly eat vegetarian.

I am hopeful some of you might have some suggestions of things you like they pack a punch of sodium.

Thanks!

Replies

• Pickles and olives.

I cannot stand the taste of olives - are some less harsh on the palate? I am not a fan of pickles either, but maybe I can try them again and learn to like the taste because that would definitely help me with my sodium intake without a ton of calories. Thank you for the advice!
  • ThatJuJitsuWoman
    ThatJuJitsuWoman Posts: 155 Member
    I add soy sauce to lots of things and mfp always warns me that it’s high in sodium!
  • Soy sauce is a great idea! I don't know why I didn't think of that before. I'll definitely be making some yummy stir fry this week.
  • MoxyLeigh
    MoxyLeigh Posts: 433 Member
    BTB_Package_8oz_Roasted_Chicken_Base-2017.png

This stuff maybe? I love salt, so honestly I could darn near eat this stuff with a spoon sometimes. Or spread it on bread mixed with butter and be sure to not plan on losing any weight. Lol. In addition to sometimes having a cup as bouillon, I've been known to sneak it into scrambled eggs, mashed potatoes/cauliflower, a bowl of cabbage, a cornbread batter, a pot of rice... 680mg of sodium per teaspoon. They also make a vegetarian vegetable, beef, ham, mushroom, possibly others. The chicken is the one I get a lotta use out of though.

Since sodium intake is important for you, you might also consider weighing the salt you use in cooking. May sound a bit much, but depending on how coarse or fine a grind your salt is, it could make a difference of 500mg of sodium or more per teaspoon.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    I’ll second the soy sauce!

Also cottage cheese is relatively high in sodium if you’re looking to keep the calories down too.

I don’t know if you eat fish, but canned tuna in brine, quite a lot of sodium in smoked fish of all sorts.

Also, snack on pretzels, salted nuts maybe?
  • Pamela_Sue
    Pamela_Sue Posts: 563 Member
    Recommend googling "high sodium foods". I did and there are some good sites, mostly telling you what foods to avoid/limit that are high in sodium, but your case that would be the opposite.
  • grace173
    grace173 Posts: 180 Member
    Would you believe Tofu is high in sodium. Just found this out now entering it into my food diary.
  • MoxyLeigh wrote: »
    BTB_Package_8oz_Roasted_Chicken_Base-2017.png

This stuff maybe? I love salt, so honestly I could darn near eat this stuff with a spoon sometimes. Or spread it on bread mixed with butter and be sure to not plan on losing any weight. Lol. In addition to sometimes having a cup as bouillon, I've been known to sneak it into scrambled eggs, mashed potatoes/cauliflower, a bowl of cabbage, a cornbread batter, a pot of rice... 680mg of sodium per teaspoon. They also make a vegetarian vegetable, beef, ham, mushroom, possibly others. The chicken is the one I get a lotta use out of though.

Since sodium intake is important for you, you might also consider weighing the salt you use in cooking. May sound a bit much, but depending on how coarse or fine a grind your salt is, it could make a difference of 500mg of sodium or more per teaspoon.

I bought this a couple weeks ago for a soup recipe so I will try it on other things also. Thank you!
  • Pamela_Sue wrote: »
    Recommend googling "high sodium foods". I did and there are some good sites, mostly telling you what foods to avoid/limit that are high in sodium, but your case that would be the opposite.

Thank you!
  • grace173 wrote: »
    Would you believe Tofu is high in sodium. Just found this out now entering it into my food diary.

I had no idea, but I love tofu! So this is great!
  • I’ll second the soy sauce!

Also cottage cheese is relatively high in sodium if you’re looking to keep the calories down too.

I don’t know if you eat fish, but canned tuna in brine, quite a lot of sodium in smoked fish of all sorts.

Also, snack on pretzels, salted nuts maybe?

I can definitely do cottage cheese, plus it has a good amount of protein which is always a plus!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    grace173 wrote: »

That sounds like either a bad database entry, or some special type of flavored tofu. Plain tofu has very little sodium.
  • Pamela_Sue
    I have also noticed that the frozen pre-cooked chicken (such as Tyson) is loaded with sodium.
  • Pamela_Sue
    Another tip (sorry for my 3rd post). Use an online grocery app such as Walmart.com, or a local grocery store, to quickly read through nutrition labels and find foods that meet your need. Don't have to buy anything to use the app.
  • grace173
    grace173 Posts: 180 Member
    apullum wrote: »
    grace173 wrote: »

That sounds like either a bad database entry, or some special type of flavored tofu. Plain tofu has very little sodium.

Thank you for this comment because I checked this out further and you are right, the marinated tofu is high but I just ate organic tofu not marinated which is low in sodium. Thanks
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    edited September 2019
    My wife has POTS and she just salts a lot of foods. And more bacon!!!

Also, canned tuna, salmon or soups.
  • Anchovies are ridiculously low calorie for the flavour they bring, and are exceptionally high in sodium.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,326 Member
    I add a liberal shake of salt to just about every kind of fruit I eat.