Favorite low calorie foods that are high in sodium.

Pricklypineapple422
Pricklypineapple422 Posts: 52 Member
edited September 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
I have dysautonomia and need to increase my sodium intake to 5,000 to 7,000 mg a day. I am able to take some salt tablets to help, but they can be hard on the stomach and to get that much sodium I will have to take a ton of the tablets. My goal is to find some foods or drinks that are tasty and not too high in calorie, while also providing some sodium.

I am trying to consume two powerade zeros a day, they provide 250 mg per bottle. But with those added, I am still only averaging around 2000 mg of sodium a day. I don't love the taste of salt, and the things I do like (chips, popcorn, etc) are all high in calories and junk food, which I would like to avoid. Also, I will eat meat occasionally, but mostly eat vegetarian.

I am hopeful some of you might have some suggestions of things you like they pack a punch of sodium.

Thanks!

Replies

• Pickles and olives.

I cannot stand the taste of olives - are some less harsh on the palate? I am not a fan of pickles either, but maybe I can try them again and learn to like the taste because that would definitely help me with my sodium intake without a ton of calories. Thank you for the advice!
  • ThatJuJitsuWoman
    ThatJuJitsuWoman Posts: 155 Member
    I add soy sauce to lots of things and mfp always warns me that it’s high in sodium!
  • Soy sauce is a great idea! I don't know why I didn't think of that before. I'll definitely be making some yummy stir fry this week.
  • MoxyLeigh
    MoxyLeigh Posts: 433 Member
    BTB_Package_8oz_Roasted_Chicken_Base-2017.png

This stuff maybe? I love salt, so honestly I could darn near eat this stuff with a spoon sometimes. Or spread it on bread mixed with butter and be sure to not plan on losing any weight. Lol. In addition to sometimes having a cup as bouillon, I've been known to sneak it into scrambled eggs, mashed potatoes/cauliflower, a bowl of cabbage, a cornbread batter, a pot of rice... 680mg of sodium per teaspoon. They also make a vegetarian vegetable, beef, ham, mushroom, possibly others. The chicken is the one I get a lotta use out of though.

Since sodium intake is important for you, you might also consider weighing the salt you use in cooking. May sound a bit much, but depending on how coarse or fine a grind your salt is, it could make a difference of 500mg of sodium or more per teaspoon.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    I’ll second the soy sauce!

Also cottage cheese is relatively high in sodium if you’re looking to keep the calories down too.

I don’t know if you eat fish, but canned tuna in brine, quite a lot of sodium in smoked fish of all sorts.

Also, snack on pretzels, salted nuts maybe?
  • Pamela_Sue
    Pamela_Sue Posts: 563 Member
    Recommend googling "high sodium foods". I did and there are some good sites, mostly telling you what foods to avoid/limit that are high in sodium, but your case that would be the opposite.
  • grace173
    grace173 Posts: 180 Member
    Would you believe Tofu is high in sodium. Just found this out now entering it into my food diary.
  • MoxyLeigh wrote: »
    BTB_Package_8oz_Roasted_Chicken_Base-2017.png

This stuff maybe? I love salt, so honestly I could darn near eat this stuff with a spoon sometimes. Or spread it on bread mixed with butter and be sure to not plan on losing any weight. Lol. In addition to sometimes having a cup as bouillon, I've been known to sneak it into scrambled eggs, mashed potatoes/cauliflower, a bowl of cabbage, a cornbread batter, a pot of rice... 680mg of sodium per teaspoon. They also make a vegetarian vegetable, beef, ham, mushroom, possibly others. The chicken is the one I get a lotta use out of though.

Since sodium intake is important for you, you might also consider weighing the salt you use in cooking. May sound a bit much, but depending on how coarse or fine a grind your salt is, it could make a difference of 500mg of sodium or more per teaspoon.

I bought this a couple weeks ago for a soup recipe so I will try it on other things also. Thank you!
  • Pamela_Sue wrote: »
    Recommend googling "high sodium foods". I did and there are some good sites, mostly telling you what foods to avoid/limit that are high in sodium, but your case that would be the opposite.

Thank you!
  • grace173 wrote: »
    Would you believe Tofu is high in sodium. Just found this out now entering it into my food diary.

I had no idea, but I love tofu! So this is great!
  • I’ll second the soy sauce!

Also cottage cheese is relatively high in sodium if you’re looking to keep the calories down too.

I don’t know if you eat fish, but canned tuna in brine, quite a lot of sodium in smoked fish of all sorts.

Also, snack on pretzels, salted nuts maybe?

I can definitely do cottage cheese, plus it has a good amount of protein which is always a plus!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    grace173 wrote: »

That sounds like either a bad database entry, or some special type of flavored tofu. Plain tofu has very little sodium.
  • Pamela_Sue
    I have also noticed that the frozen pre-cooked chicken (such as Tyson) is loaded with sodium.
  • Pamela_Sue
    Another tip (sorry for my 3rd post). Use an online grocery app such as Walmart.com, or a local grocery store, to quickly read through nutrition labels and find foods that meet your need. Don't have to buy anything to use the app.
  • grace173
    grace173 Posts: 180 Member
    apullum wrote: »
    grace173 wrote: »

That sounds like either a bad database entry, or some special type of flavored tofu. Plain tofu has very little sodium.

Thank you for this comment because I checked this out further and you are right, the marinated tofu is high but I just ate organic tofu not marinated which is low in sodium. Thanks
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited September 2019
    My wife has POTS and she just salts a lot of foods. And more bacon!!!

Also, canned tuna, salmon or soups.
  • Anchovies are ridiculously low calorie for the flavour they bring, and are exceptionally high in sodium.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,160 Member
    I add a liberal shake of salt to just about every kind of fruit I eat.