September 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Well that was a fantastic run tonight! The group run I organized, which I named the Friday the 13th Full Moon Howl was well attended with 20 runners and one dog. Temps in the 50's (F) and no rain (after 3 inches in the last two days) made for a great night for running. We met at my local trail at 7pm, sun set at 7:30pm, and the moon start rising soon after that.

I had a 16.7 mile route planned. Some got their early and did more, some quit early and did less. It started out cloudy, but at the 8 mile mark the clouds thinned out enough to give us an awesome view of the full moon. It was crazy bright!

When we do these group runs, it's always a "no runner left behind" so someone in the organizing group always stays in the back to make sure no one gets lost. I was hoping to be that guy tonight, but someone else volunteered, and since it was my event with my route, I led the way the entire time. That turned out well because I actually felt great, particularly in the second half and had no problem leading the way. It was my best feeling trail run in quite a while actually, like I hit a certain milestone in my training.

The first half of the route was my favorite part of the park and is like running a roller coaster, up and down, up and down, some very steep hills. The second half was run mostly through prairie, with some wooded areas thrown in for fun. At one point we found the trail flooded with 6 inches of flowing water. Two days ago that trail was dry. It was cold but quite refreshing. My shoes are on the boot dryer right now.

After the run, those of us still there had some more social time and shared a few stories, and a beer or two. I'm generally a solo runner, but this group really clicked and I had a fantastic time. I'll have to plan more of these events.

One bizarre twist to the night. After I got home from the run I got on Strava, went to where they list who you ran with and I "Followed" one of the gals who was in the group. In looking at her profile I had to do a double take. In her list of followers was none other than our very own @eleanorhawkins !! Small world! I'm very curious how that connection was made.

The photos below were taken by one of the runners in the group.
    aqpkxho0zywg.jpg
    3hg29juuzvvb.jpg
    n4zlfpgui9km.jpg

Dang great sounding run! Too bad you did not stumble across any werewolves, bet you could have gotten a nice speed work out then! ;)
  • PastorVincent
    noblsheep wrote: »
    0913-10k total 20.5k goal-145k110km

10km last night. It was not hot for a change so made it a build-up run, eventually hitting a 5km pace before slowing down for a long cool-off. During this run, I gave my running a long hard look and decided that the crux of the problem is that I don't do enough runs and when I do I'm super slow, which in turn make my long runs take forever and feel terrible. So I decided to make the best of the situation and do some 10km dedicated training, as well as add cycling back into the mix.

New goals for the month:
    1. Three runs a week minimum.
    2. Loosely following Hal Higdon's 10km intermediate plan, with a few long runs thrown in for fun. If done correctly, I
    should get 110km total for September.
    3. Cycle at least twice a week.

Super behind on the thread.

A plan is a good thing if you have a goal you want to target. Do you have a race in mind? If not you might want to think about adding one. A race would give you a discrete and measurable target and that might help motivate you to reach your goals.
  • PastorVincent
    JMNagain wrote: »
    Had a funny morning run yesterday. Did 5km in a much faster time than usual, according to my phone, and the rundouble app. About two minutes faster than anything else I've run recently. I got this despite the fact that I was taking it easy after a long run the night before, that I stopped for 20 seconds or so to feed a street dog, and that I was wearing new leggings which I had to keep pulling up which normally involves a bit of a pause. And, most dammingly, I turned around about 200m short of where my app usually tells me to turn round on a 5k. So I feel like my phone was not recording accurately at all, so who knows how far or fast I have run on any of my runs! I know phones aren't super accurate, but I thought they would be out by tens of metres, but this feels like it's out by nearly 500m. I can't afford a decent gps watch at the moment, so I guess I just have to keep using my phone and trying not to feel cheated.

If you care enough...

You can look at the map it routed and see how close it was to tracking you correctly. If it is way off you can use a free program called "Google Earth" to draw the route you actually ran on a map and get the correct distance. Then compare with the time form your phone and use that to figure out your average pace and actual 5k time.

Or you can do what I probably would do, ignore it and carry on. :)

As for the GPS watch, I do not know your financial means, but you can sometimes find used ones cheaply on Crag's List or the Facebook Market. Just takes time and patience to dig through the mess and find them. Ebay is another place if you are a savy shopper you can find used stuff cheap.
  • PastorVincent
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @quilteryoyo my favorite pickles are kosher baby dills, so that's the juice I use. I don't think it really makes a difference what kind you use though.

Ever since I found out I can not eat garlic and onions I have been wanting a pickle. heh. :(
  • PastorVincent
    Turns out I don't need to have that surgery I was worrying about. In celebration, I just finished signing up for about 9 races :D

Upcoming races:
    Sept. 20-22 - Botanical 5k [virtual race]
    Oct. 19 - CityTrail trail 5k (#1 of 6; I signed up for the whole series)
    Oct. 26 - Botanical Autumn 5k
    Oct. 27 - Lublin Half Marathon

YAY!!!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    So... a little explanation about me saying do not be me last night.... I may have signed up for another race already.........LOL

Oh in that case I am you :D

Signed my entire family up for a new race last night! HA!

LOL...... um... you are WAY MORE SANE.........
  • PastorVincent
    So... a little explanation about me saying do not be me last night.... I may have signed up for another race already.........LOL

LOL...... um... you are WAY MORE SANE.........

No, just more busy. Working three simultaneous jobs in three completely different industries at once while trying to take care of a family and occasionally exercise...
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    @7lenny7 that full moon run sounded great! Good for you for organizing it. You had a good turnout.

12 miles this morning. Training plan is starting to up the mileage this week. The forecast said it was going to be cooler this morning, but of course they lied. But it was a good run.

exercise.png

forecasts always lie. Nice running
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    noblsheep wrote: »
    0913-10k total 20.5k goal-145k110km

10km last night. It was not hot for a change so made it a build-up run, eventually hitting a 5km pace before slowing down for a long cool-off. During this run, I gave my running a long hard look and decided that the crux of the problem is that I don't do enough runs and when I do I'm super slow, which in turn make my long runs take forever and feel terrible. So I decided to make the best of the situation and do some 10km dedicated training, as well as add cycling back into the mix.

New goals for the month:
    1. Three runs a week minimum.
    2. Loosely following Hal Higdon's 10km intermediate plan, with a few long runs thrown in for fun. If done correctly, I
    should get 110km total for September.
    3. Cycle at least twice a week.

Super behind on the thread.

A plan is a good thing if you have a goal you want to target. Do you have a race in mind? If not you might want to think about adding one. A race would give you a discrete and measurable target and that might help motivate you to reach your goals.

Yeah I'm probably going to run the 10km race attached to the Shanghai Marathon on Nov.17th. 2 months seems like a good amount of time to spend on speed, and the weather seems to be cooperating. Thanks for the advice!

@MNLittleFinn Please tell us all about it :D
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    edited September 2019
    Went expoloering again at lunch. This time I used a device the wetlanders call a bridge and crossed the river to see what was over there. Plenty of pictures in the spoiler tags.
    xqjmjede4jed.jpg
    rvwmzxe0192y.jpg
    0xq2zc0h9mp2.jpg
    ggy7666r4whm.jpg
    35m36623ece3.jpg
    yqhe5p7vnkqh.jpg
    46nz13y1iwe8.jpg
    oj6k6fiwo9fv.jpg
    kvw1g2fhu5ip.jpg
    cbt4vx0zjtnj.jpg

These are all #shotoniphone

I keep thinking I should go back with my camera, but that would take a special trip and planing. iPhone is easier for these random wanderings.

Love the pictures! The GAP trail starts there at the fountain on the Point, if you haven't already checked that out! When I biked it a few years ago, that section was a little confusing though as far as where the trail actually was :D (Or maybe I was just disoriented from cycling all day and now having less than a mile to go and not being able to follow directions.)
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    edited September 2019

Were we all affected by the 13th? And I don't even believe in that! But I did a mass signup on a bunch of races last night, too!

Edit to add: I'm guessing my races (all of them combined) are a lot shorter than yours. What did you sign up for?????