September 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    Note - still no functional buttons on reply for pictures, spoiler or striking text, etc.. I have tried all the usual; clearing cache and restarting to no avail. Guess I will ope a problem with MFP.

I just tried from Safari on my Mac and all worked correctly. Sorry, was hoping it would be broken then I could figure out how to fix it.

• PastorVincent
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn checked in at mile 85 @ 28:36:00! That is an awfully long time to be on your feet. He is positioned at 140, and at least another 20 have dropped from the ace. 15 miles to go!

He has cleared 96.2 at just over 33 hours! 65 other people have DNF'd but he is still going. At his last reported pace, he has probably 2 hours left to run. He must be exhausted beyond understanding at this point.

Just so you know what he is doing... this is one insane race!
    Quick Stats:
    (from https://www.superiorfalltrailrace.com/100-mile-info/ )
    State – Minnesota, Race start is 3.5 hours north of the Minneapolis (MSP) International Airport, 103.3 Mile point-to-point 100% trail ultramarathon – 95% single-track, Founded in 1991, Elevation Gain 21,000 FT, Elevation Loss 21,000 FT, NET Elevation Change 42,000 FT, 13 Aid Stations, 38 hour cutoff, Field is limited to 285 runners, registration via lottery, Reputation as one of the toughest, most scenic and best marked trail 100’s in the country.
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn checked in at mile 85 @ 28:36:00! That is an awfully long time to be on your feet. He is positioned at 140, and at least another 20 have dropped from the ace. 15 miles to go!

He has cleared 96.2 at just over 33 hours! 65 other people have DNF'd but he is still going. At his last reported pace, he has probably 2 hours left to run. He must be exhausted beyond understanding at this point.

OMG, just reading this makes me exhausted!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options

Just FYI, it's 103+ miles, not 100.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I keep checking his status
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Woohoo!!!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Wow way to go @MNLittleFinn !

I ran, like, four miles today... amazing to think about 103.

Supposed to be about 10k on trails but my Achilles’ tendon was achy so I did one lap and called it good. I’m still working up to where I used to be trail running, jumping over stuff and going up and down hills is tough on the tendon.

In other news my husband almost ate a bug. You know June bugs, not the brown small Asian invaders which are sometimes called June bugs by people too young to know any better, but real June bugs which are giant iridescent green scarab beetles? Yeah one flew right in his open mouth and down his throat, bumped into his uvula, he coughed it up and it crawled out on his tongue! Gross!!!!! So I had to make fun of him for breathing with his mouth so wide open that a giant bug could fly straight in. I have while running swallowed my share of gnats and once been repeatedly bonked in the eye socket by a really territorial carpenter bee, but swallowing a whole beetle seems like it should be some kind of record.

https://entomology.tamu.edu/studylist_all/may-beetle-or-june-bug/ this June bug?

I hope NOT this June bug!

http://homesteadgardens.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/junebeetlejapanesebeetle.jpg28hqzjsawo97.jpeg

Omg the spoiler tag won’t work... gah...
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Supposed to be about 10k on trails but my Achilles’ tendon was achy so I did one lap and called it good. I’m still working up to where I used to be trail running, jumping over stuff and going up and down hills is tough on the tendon.

In other news my husband almost ate a bug. You know June bugs, not the brown small Asian invaders which are sometimes called June bugs by people too young to know any better, but real June bugs which are giant iridescent green scarab beetles? Yeah one flew right in his open mouth and down his throat, bumped into his uvula, he coughed it up and it crawled out on his tongue! Gross!!!!! So I had to make fun of him for breathing with his mouth so wide open that a giant bug could fly straight in. I have while running swallowed my share of gnats and once been repeatedly bonked in the eye socket by a really territorial carpenter bee, but swallowing a whole beetle seems like it should be some kind of record.

https://entomology.tamu.edu/studylist_all/may-beetle-or-june-bug/ this June bug?

http://homesteadgardens.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/junebeetlejapanesebeetle.jpg28hqzjsawo97.jpeg

Yep that’s the one! We used to have them everywhere when I was a child but the Japanese invaders outbred them and now they are very rare around here. It didn’t seem to have taken any harm from being horked up and flew away.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,396 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Yep that’s the one! We used to have them everywhere when I was a child but the Japanese invaders outbred them and now they are very rare around here. It didn’t seem to have taken any harm from being horked up and flew away.

We have the Japanese version here too. They eat all the fruit on the trees down to the pit if they can get to it and they fly right at you! I am always waving them away on the trail - Hate them! Would hate it worse if I had one fly into my mouth! Yuck!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Finished my half in 1:54:23 this morning. Pretty good run considering the week I had. I ate my body weight in pizza last night which obviously helped.

I managed second in my age group, which I’m thrilled with, and was 22 female home in a feild of 201. Not a bad day at the office.

More importantly, I bet all my friends!

Well done! Congrats!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Hey all, have missed over 100 posts. I hope everyone's weekend has gone/is going great and everyone who is racing has an awesome race, and those just running have an awesome run!

We moved into our new house! It feels like we have so much space. I also keep remarking that we are so suburban now. We live in a quied cul-de-sac, and todayy 5yr and 3yr olds were out riding on their bikes on the footpath. We were also very comfortable saying "go outside and play" and just watch from the windows and know they have a large area to play in. We currently only have a dining table and some chairs cause the rest of our stuff is still in storage till Thursday. Have to say I LOVE hour home. So happy.

No running in a few days, but I played indoor netball today for the first time in 11 years. I thought I would die - those who haven't played its incredibly fast. It's 4 quarters of 8 minutes and you are pretty much on the go for the whole time. I did 3000 steps during the game, the equivalent of a 3k run!

730am start for me tomorrow, already got my stuff out for an early run, and am excited to discover my new area. And for the first time in YEARS I have to find a car park...

Hey that is great @Avidkeo! Yay!