Options

Replies

• Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,095 Member
    Options
    01/09 2.58 miles
    07/09 3.28 miles
    08/09 2.52 miles
    10/09 3.29 miles got run done just as the rain and wind was starting. We're supposed to be getting the tail end of the Bahamas hurricane. Shame we don't get their sun instead.

exercise.png

exercise.png
    [/url]
  • hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »

@PastorVincent I would probably be embarrassed if I was running and a walker passed me and I would probably try to speed up. But I wouldn't think that the walker should slow down because of that, and I don't think it would be rude for you to pass them.

This
  • hamsterwheel6
    Options
    Congrats @MegaMooseEsq! Great perseverance, and will be inspiring for me on my first HM this Saturday. I'm a bit nervous actually. I have a time goal in mind based on my training runs (anything under 2:30), but I'm not sure why I don't feel like I can do it. I'm actually hoping to just finish at this point.
    Although I'm excited by the race and venue itself - It's a Marine Corps Half at Camp LeJeune, NC...most of it is run on the base itself, so looking forward to that experience!

You can do it! I went into this one just wanting to finish, not expecting a PR, and it felt great crossing that finish line. I think it's easy to lose track of the fact that finishing a half is a HUGE accomplishment when it feels like I'm surrounded by stronger runners (900 or so in the case of this particular race!). I have to step back to the world of non-runners and remind myself what a big deal running that first continuous mile was back before I was sucked into the world of races and intervals and cross training and PRs.

You are so very correct! I need to think about the actual accomplishment that finishing , even attempting one is!
    I've come a long way as it is, and never imagined I would be a runner let alone trying a half!
    Thank you! ( I do get caught up with numbers, times etc as well - I need to also not do this).
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Yeah, @PastorVincent just do you, don't worry about embarrassing the slower runners. As long as you aren't yelling any snide remarks at them as you walk past, but of course I know you wouldn't do that.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Congrats @MegaMooseEsq! Great perseverance, and will be inspiring for me on my first HM this Saturday. I'm a bit nervous actually. I have a time goal in mind based on my training runs (anything under 2:30), but I'm not sure why I don't feel like I can do it. I'm actually hoping to just finish at this point.
    Although I'm excited by the race and venue itself - It's a Marine Corps Half at Camp LeJeune, NC...most of it is run on the base itself, so looking forward to that experience!

That sounds like a very cool race! Trying to figure out a time goal for your first race at a given distance is very hard to do. Using your training long run paces, as you've done, is probably the best way to go. That should ensure you can comfortably finish the race and allow you to focus on the moment and the experience. Have an awesome time!

@MegaMooseEsq I was actually thinking about your interest in pacing the Loopet Loppet last year and was planning on asking if you were interested until I saw the Blue Ox race on your schedule. YES the offer still stands! My son won't be around to pace this year. We can have pacers after 1:00PM as I recall. For reference, last year my loop paces after that time were 16:00/mile, 15:20, 18:00 and 20:00. yeah, I was hiking those last two. The race this year is on Sunday, October 13th. We can coordinate closer to the date. Cool!!
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,717 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @MegaMooseEsq I was actually thinking about your interest in pacing the Loopet Loppet last year and was planning on asking if you were interested until I saw the Blue Ox race on your schedule. YES the offer still stands! My son won't be around to pace this year. We can have pacers after 1:00PM as I recall. For reference, last year my loop paces after that time were 16:00/mile, 15:20, 18:00 and 20:00. yeah, I was hiking those last two. The race this year is on Sunday, October 13th. We can coordinate closer to the date. Cool!!

I love this! You two will have so much fun!
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options

That sounds like a very cool race! Trying to figure out a time goal for your first race at a given distance is very hard to do. Using your training long run paces, as you've done, is probably the best way to go. That should ensure you can comfortably finish the race and allow you to focus on the moment and the experience. Have an awesome time!

Sounds great! I've never run that particular trail but will plan on heading up there sometime in the next couple of weeks to scout it out.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    Yeah, @PastorVincent just do you, don't worry about embarrassing the slower runners. As long as you aren't yelling any snide remarks at them as you walk past, but of course I know you wouldn't do that.

I had someone get really pissy with me towards the end of the 10k race I ran in June because I passed him on my run intervals then he passed me on my walk intervals (I do Galloway run-walk-run). Basically we played leapfrog for around a mile and he wasn't impressed 😂

I'm a slow runner so can understand the possible frustration of being passed by a walker. @PastorVincent how about you do a kind of power / speed walk wiggle while you pass them to make them think you're one of those pro speedwalkers and avoid discouraging them?
  • hamsterwheel6
    Options

Thanks @7lenny7 ! I must remember that, it's my first, and just to enjoy it. The next one?! can be more stressful, LOL.
    I'm pretty stoked about being on base - the hardest part though will be the 'hero mile'
    joAKaUzW7oM
  • zeesparrow
    zeesparrow Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    September Miles - 13.88/?, walk 3.97
    09/02 - 0.88; walk 2.69
    09/04 - 3.67
    09/06 - 1.54; walk 0.5
    09/08 - 4.91
    09/10 - 2.88; walk 0.78

Sunday and today were easy runs on the schedule. I'm looking forward to my first speed work tomorrow!

@mbaker566 Wow lady! That sounds horrific and looks so painful. Thank you for saving the dog at the expense of your own skin. I hope you heal quickly. Were any dogs hurt?

@MegaMooseEsq Congrats on your half! I haven't read the report yet (poking my head in here from work) but will definitely go back and read it later.

@PastorVincent Is it embarrassing for them to have someone pass them walking? Probably. I don't think it's rude of you though, unless you're going to make fun (and I'm sure no one here would do that).

.... still have more to catch up on but I need to get back to work. Run on, friends!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

I had someone get really pissy with me towards the end of the 10k race I ran in June because I passed him on my run intervals then he passed me on my walk intervals (I do Galloway run-walk-run). Basically we played leapfrog for around a mile and he wasn't impressed 😂

I'm a slow runner so can understand the possible frustration of being passed by a walker. @PastorVincent how about you do a kind of power / speed walk wiggle while you pass them to make them think you're one of those pro speedwalkers and avoid discouraging them?

Sorry, I ain't got much worth wiggling... ;)
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options

Sounds great! I've never run that particular trail but will plan on heading up there sometime in the next couple of weeks to scout it out.

It's a multiuse trail so you'll likely find mountain bikers on it as well. For that reason I wear bright shirts when running on it and I'll yield to them. If the trail is wet, it's likely to be closed so muddy tire and footprints don't become solid bumps. For race day, only racers and pacers will be allowed on it. The race page I linked has a map of the route. It starts at "The Trailhead". If I find a chance to run it before the race I'll let you know!
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    So here is a question... when I walk at lunch, I walk between 14 and 15 mins/mile pace. This means sometimes I come upon runners that I am walking slightly faster than.

Do you think it is embarrassing for them / rude for me to pass them? Should I slow down a bit and let them pull away?

I walk fast, so I've strolled past fitness-walkers before... and run past cyclists. Just try to not be too dramatic about it!
  • JMNagain
    JMNagain Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Had two days off running, Sunday on purpose, Monday as I was just being lazy... Nearly missed out tonight as well but forced myself to go out for 5k after dinner. Loved it actually, although wasted fifteen minutes at the beginning trying to convince my favourite street dog to come back to my house; I want to adopt him so badly but he is not having any of it! I see him most mornings, he is my inspiration to get up and out in the morning, as if I leave it later he has gone. He keeps a very strict schedule for a street dog!

@MegaMooseEsq I loved reading your race report, and as someone whose greatest distance has been a 10k, finishing a HM in any time is pretty impressive to me!
    @PastorVincent I am slow and don't mind anyone passing me, at any speed. As long as they don't say anything... I find even if they say something positive it comes across as patronising, especially if they yell it as they speed past. NOt during a race or event, then it's totally welcome, but if I'm just out for a regular run I find it super obnoxious of people to comment.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options

He doesn't even want to say ANYTHING to them!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @zeesparrow they both had bites and scratches. The foster had a hole in her cheek.