Do you track fruits and veggies?

2»

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    they have calories, so yes.

some fruit has a LOT of calories. doesnt mean its not healthy, just calorie dense.
  • memurph88
    memurph88 Posts: 102 Member
    shira77 wrote: »
    Hi, I’m on day 4 and I was wondering if you guys track the fruit and vegetables you eat? When I used to be on Weight Watchers most fruit and veggies were considered 0 points. I don’t eat more than 2-3 servings per day and I’m not sure if I need to track them.

I used to be on weight watchers as well. The first time I did it I lost a lot of weight because I learned what foods were better for me than others. So when I ate a bunch of fruits & veggies instead of a bunch of processed foods I lost a LOT. Now that I know how to eat healthy, I've gained weight again because I'm eating too many calories (even though I mostly eat healthy home cooked meals), so that's why MFP is different than WW. If you're already a healthy food eater but you eat too much, calorie counting is for you!
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Yup loosely..
  • kcmcbee
    kcmcbee Posts: 177 Member
    Agree with most here with yes. Especially fruit due to the sugar! Good luck on the new start! It will at least get you in the habit of learning what is up calorie and sugar wise with fruit and veggies.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    I track it all, as well. Weighing fruits, especially, since they vary wildly and can be large. My diet was always “healthy”, but I got too fat because I ate too much. I now know that I must watch everything as a small, perimenopausal woman, because my caloric requirements are not very high. As an example, I’ll frequently have a half banana, whereas before my loss with MFP, I wouldn’t have thought twice about eating a whole one.
  • bonnie_rubin96
    bonnie_rubin96 Posts: 1 Member
    I do... I count my black coffee too....
    I quit WW because I was not doing as well as I should have
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,913 Member
    they have calories, so yes.

some fruit has a LOT of calories. doesnt mean its not healthy, just calorie dense.

this! I still eat them, but it's quite sad sometimes to see how many calories in not a very large amount of a particular fruit you like. Such as pomegranate. I can only eat promegranate when I'm on maintenance calories!
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    I feel like the question "do you track fruit and veggies" should be stickied because it seems like someone asks it every other day. It seems to be a prominent question with people who are just starting on this site.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    I would hazard a guess that 95% of the people asking are former Weight Watchers clients, possibly also Slimming World because I think they run a similar Synfree system where some fruits and veg are free foods, depending on prep method.

Personally I think it’s better if the threads do happen. People maybe read the stickies when they first come here, but I’m guessing it’s the sort of question that crosses someone’s mind once they start to get more used to logging and thinking a bit more about the process. Few will think of looking back at the stickies then and even if they did read every single sticky at the outset, the chances they remember every point in them, is slight!

I’d actually be surprised if it’s not mentioned in the stickies somewhere anyway, just not in an individual sticky!

• gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    edited September 2019
    The only things I don’t log are black coffee, plain tea, mints (probably have 2 or 3 a week), and gum (maybe one piece a week).
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    I feel like the question "do you track fruit and veggies" should be stickied because it seems like someone asks it every other day. It seems to be a prominent question with people who are just starting on this site.

Many things should be sticky here........... but then again, judging by the same posts over and over, no one looks at them and no one even tries a search function.

I was on a forum once where every repeat topic got amalgamated with a previous same topic thread.

Might sound good but was not - it meant threads from years ago just kept getting added on to, super long threads all on same topic, many posters i n thread long gone.

I think MFP way is better, especially if people title threads clearly.

Then if anyone doesnt want to answer or read same topic again, just skip past it.

If anyone finds it all too repetitive and gets jaded with it (this is me from time to time) - have a short break from forums and come back after a little while (usually a week or so for me)

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    Anyone who thinks something should be a sticky might consider crafting up a really excellent post on the topic, and hoping fans might nominate it for sticky-hood, maybe, eh? ;)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »

Many things should be sticky here........... but then again, judging by the same posts over and over, no one looks at them and no one even tries a search function.

I was on a forum once where every repeat topic got amalgamated with a previous same topic thread.

Might sound good but was not - it meant threads from years ago just kept getting added on to, super long threads all on same topic, many posters i n thread long gone.

I think MFP way is better, especially if people title threads clearly.

Then if anyone doesnt want to answer or read same topic again, just skip past it.

If anyone finds it all too repetitive and gets jaded with it (this is me from time to time) - have a short break from forums and come back after a little while (usually a week or so for me)

I was on a forum where new threads that covered the same topic as current threads would get closed with a link to the other thread. I liked that model.

On that forum, stickies didn't get read and the search function was underutilized.
  • babyblu3sedan
    babyblu3sedan Posts: 3 Member
    Yes of course. Especially since I follow a plant based diet... if I didn’t track fruits and veggies I wouldn’t track anything lol. Food is food and all kinds of food have different nutritional value, macro and micro nutrients, etc. idk why you would ever not log one food.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Fruits, yes. Veggies, yes. Sauerkraut, yes. Mustard, no. Salt, usually not. Ground black pepper, yes.
  • oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Yes. For weight loss, a calorie is a calorie, whether from a vegetable or a candy bar. Weight Watchers does its whole "zero calorie food" thing as a behavior modification tool to get people to eat "healthier" foods. And also to differentiate it from calorie counting and justify the price. But your body doesn't differentiate. Some fruits especially can be pretty caloric.

For the best results, you want to count everything you put in your body.

Agree 100%, Fruits and veggies all have calories so if you're trying to lose weight, you need to track them, Gala apples have 80 calories, a banana on average has about 90, and really watch avocado's, They have good fats but are high in calories. One avocado has about 300 calories if you eat the whole thing