Intermittent fasting

Options
When you guys intermittently fast do you just intake water or do you guys do coffee or anything else? What is considered breaking a fast? I’m just curious to see what others are doing and how they believe it works for them.

Replies

• heathcash1252
    heathcash1252 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    I do a couple of cups of black coffee. I'm not sure what you mean by "how it works". For me it's an eating schedule that helps control calories. From that point of view, it works fine. What exactly are you looking for in terms of it working for you?

I just meant curious to see how well you see results from it. Sorry if wasn’t clear on that.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    IFs that are related to hours of the day seem to me to be more like skipping meals. I think it's fine, I just think the terminology is misleading. (You could say that I IF from 9PM to 7AM the next day, for example.)

IFs that are related to days of the week or on an irregular schedule are definitely IFs. I do the occasional fast day, which for me means still having certain liquids, including tea with milk and an electrolyte drink (with some sugar) at each meal. It adds up to <500kcals for the day. I might try it without someday, but it seems to work well to do a day like that at the beginning of a cut cycle or at any time I feel like a cut cycle has stalled.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    As has been said, it’s all about an individual and how easy they find adherence to their calorie intake limit. There’s no magic to it, in terms of extra weight loss over and above that achieved via a calorie deficit.

Theoretically to reach 1500 calories, for example, you could choose to have that in one meal, or 5 meals of 300 each or 15 snacks of 100 cals each or any permutation that you wished. What’s important would be that 1500 (or whatever your calorie goal is, clearly).

Some find that if they ‘rev their appetite’ by drinking coffee or whatever before their ‘eating window’ that it’s harder to wait, but others find that works fine. Completely individual.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I drink black coffee or tea without milk. I do 16:8. I do it primarily because I find it easier to control calories that day But the way I see it is that if health benefits such as autophagy might kick in during my chosen fasting window I'd rather have them than not.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Depends on how strict you're being and which version of IF you are following. Some say nothing but water. Others say anything that is zero calorie. Some say no artificial sweeteners. It's really up to you. And since there is no magic happening, nothing specific to IF timing, you really do have the freedom to do whatever you want, whatever you find is most sustainable/least challenging.

Personally, I have zero-calorie water flavoring and caffeine pills. It "works" for me when I successfully manage my intake with foods I reasonably enjoy. It "doesn't work" when I don't.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I recently transitioned out of 16:8 after hitting the 50 lbs mark and feeling like IF had served its purpose, to something a little more flexible (but I still do 16:8 out of habit most days). While I was doing 16:8, the only things that went in my mouth outside the 8 hour window were water, black coffee or plain tea. I still limit myself to those three things after 7 pm but now I occasionally have breakfast.

Side note: this was done with a strict calorie limit as suggested to me by the MFP goals too. The calorie deficit is where the fat burning comes from; the IF is for appetite suppression, getting fewer but larger meals, and learning self-control / changing my relationship with food. For me, IF was supremely effective at those things. Life changing, actually.

Early in the effort I did try allowing milk in coffee, but that led to "eh, why not a banana" and then ... well, you know how it goes. It's a slippery slope, this eating thing. I recommend at least trying the "water, black coffee, plain tea, period." approach to see if it'll fly for you. There's a reason so many IF dieters are so hard-core about the zero-ness of "zero calories outside the window". The difference between not eating at all, versus eating a little and then trying not to let it escalate, is enormous. There's nothing inherently bad about a little milk in the coffee, but it sort of softens the crispness of the "fasting" concept.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Depended on which version of IF I was following at the time.

For 5:2 - concentrated on highly nutritious, highly satiating, highly appealing food on the two fasting (very low eating) days when I only had 600cals to play with.
    (Result for me was that it made adherence to my weekly calorie goal when losing weight easier and supported a heavy exercise routine very well.)

For 16:8 - skipped breakfast but still had unsweetened tea or coffee in the morning but no solid food.
    (Result for me was that I found it needlessly restrictive and irritating for zero benefit at all. I'm happier skipping breakfast when it suits me and eating breakfast when that suits me.)
  • jhanleybrown
    jhanleybrown Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I also have a question on this. I'm going to try IM. Have not in the past. My "IM" will be a low bar. Basically I'm going to allow my daily calorie goal but then no eating after 3 pm until the next morning.

Is this silly since net calories are the same? I've read that it actually does accelerate weight loss and I do have a tendency to load calories (even when i stay within goal) in the evening.

I was going to try this 1x per month so not a huge commitment.

Seems like the jury is out on this and research is all over the map.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I do a couple of cups of black coffee. I'm not sure what you mean by "how it works". For me it's an eating schedule that helps control calories. From that point of view, it works fine. What exactly are you looking for in terms of it working for you?

Lol! What exactly does this person disagree with in my post? That coffee "works for me"? That IF is an eating schedule that helps control calories or what?? :p

It's the internet. Disagree is what we do here.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

Lol! What exactly does this person disagree with in my post? That coffee "works for me"? That IF is an eating schedule that helps control calories or what?? :p

Some people just like to disagree if it is something that is different than what they do...or they tried it and it didn't work for them.

Then again...maybe they just don't like you!
  • MelG7777
    MelG7777 Posts: 14,159 Member
    Options
    When you guys intermittently fast do you just intake water or do you guys do coffee or anything else? What is considered breaking a fast? I’m just curious to see what others are doing and how they believe it works for them.

I’m all for doing what works. I used to drink coffee with half and half. But, in June I started getting serious about it (for me). Now, just water. And not a ton in the morning even. I fast 20-48 hours on a daily basis. I found with “dirty fasting” I was more hungry and not seeing as many benefits personally.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »

Some people just like to disagree if it is something that is different than what they do...or they tried it and it didn't work for them.

Then again...maybe they just don't like you!

Could well be Annie, could well be. :D
    Good thing I don't take disagreement from strangers on the internet to heart...