Cutting macros for short Endomorph

Options
Recently I’ve started a cut and I started out at 20.6% BF and I’ve gotten down to 16.3% in roughly 3 weeks. I believe what I’m doing is working for me, but I’m curious to see what all macros and how many calories others are using and Intaking or if anyone has advice/suggestions. If anyone out there is a fitness guru and would like to help out or give advice I’ll leave my stats here.
Height: 5’5
Weight: 158
Work activity: Lightly active

Replies

• heathcash1252
    heathcash1252 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    Body types aren't really a thing. Get enough protein, .8 grams per lb of body weight is a decent ballpark. Progressive resistance training. Time and patience.

How are you measuring your body fat. It's highly unlikely you've dropped 4% body fat in 3 weeks. I'm guessing your method of measurement is not accurate.
    I go have a scan done at nutrition shop in my area and that’s what it says. I mean it’s probably not to a T.
  • mtamashiro
    mtamashiro Posts: 14 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I'd be interested to know what your macros are. I have a similar body type to you.

Also, what was your starting weight on the cut? I'm guessing 158 is your current weight.
  • heathcash1252
    edited September 2019
    Options
    mtamashiro wrote: »
    I'd be interested to know what your macros are. I have a similar body type to you.

Also, what was your starting weight on the cut? I'm guessing 158 is your current weight.

I started trying to lose some body fat at 169lbs but I wasn’t taking it very seriously, still eating relatively bad but I got down to 166lbs and decided I was gonna get serious about it. My macros are around 150g of protein, 100g of carbs, and 70g of fat. It’s worked pretty well for me so far. Definitely seeing my abs coming through and big improvement is vascularity. And when I said 158 I was being generous, because that was at the end of my day the last time I weighed. When I wake up I’m typically around 156.x to 157.x
  • giancarlov1191
    giancarlov1191 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Recently I’ve started a cut and I started out at 20.6% BF and I’ve gotten down to 16.3% in roughly 3 weeks. I believe what I’m doing is working for me, but I’m curious to see what all macros and how many calories others are using and Intaking or if anyone has advice/suggestions. If anyone out there is a fitness guru and would like to help out or give advice I’ll leave my stats here.

When I was cutting my macros were 45% protein, 30% fat, 25% carb for most of it. That's higher protein than necessary perhaps but it served it's purpose. I am 5ft8 and I went down to 139 lbs and about 9% fat (according to the scale, which is not totally accurate I know)
  • heathcash1252
    Options

When I was cutting my macros were 45% protein, 30% fat, 25% carb for most of it. That's higher protein than necessary perhaps but it served it's purpose. I am 5ft8 and I went down to 139 lbs and about 9% fat (according to the scale, which is not totally accurate I know)

That’s good bother, keep it up. Hopefully I’ll be able to see results like you had.
  • heathcash1252
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Body types aren't really a thing. Get enough protein, .8 grams per lb of body weight is a decent ballpark. Progressive resistance training. Time and patience.

How are you measuring your body fat. It's highly unlikely you've dropped 4% body fat in 3 weeks. I'm guessing your method of measurement is not accurate.
    I go have a scan done at nutrition shop in my area and that’s what it says. I mean it’s probably not to a T.

What method are they using? If they are using bioelectrical impedance analysis, which is what most "fancy scales" use, then that method is very unreliable and heavily influenced by things like hydration levels. While you may have made some progress, 4% in 3 weeks would be very unlikely.

Yes it is a scale like that. I try to control the variable as much as I can. For instance I go on the same day and it’s the same time as well. I get that it depends on a lot of things but my routine is pretty solid and doesn’t vary much as far as my eating and hydration goes. Now I know it’s not “accurate” but that’s what I have to to by and have been going by.
  • mtamashiro
    mtamashiro Posts: 14 Member
    Options

I started trying to lose some body fat at 169lbs but I wasn’t taking it very seriously, still eating relatively bad but I got down to 166lbs and decided I was gonna get serious about it. My macros are around 150g of protein, 100g of carbs, and 70g of fat. It’s worked pretty well for me so far. Definitely seeing my abs coming through and big improvement is vascularity. And when I said 158 I was being generous, because that was at the end of my day the last time I weighed. When I wake up I’m typically around 156.x to 157.x

That's around where mine are. 170p120c60f. I'm coming off an injury and around 10lbs of weight gain so I'm gonna go for a 2-3 month cut with those macros and see where I end up.
  • heathcash1252
    Options

That's around where mine are. 170p120c60f. I'm coming off an injury and around 10lbs of weight gain so I'm gonna go for a 2-3 month cut with those macros and see where I end up.

I’d say you’d have pretty good results. Just be consistent with your efforts. Good luck man and let me know how it goes for you.
  • giancarlov1191
    giancarlov1191 Posts: 493 Member
    Options

That’s good bother, keep it up. Hopefully I’ll be able to see results like you had.

I should have mentioned, this was on 1800 calories a day. The deficit along with working out is what did the vast majority of the job in my opinion. How many calories are you eating a day now?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options

What method are they using? If they are using bioelectrical impedance analysis, which is what most "fancy scales" use, then that method is very unreliable and heavily influenced by things like hydration levels. While you may have made some progress, 4% in 3 weeks would be very unlikely.

Yes it is a scale like that. I try to control the variable as much as I can. For instance I go on the same day and it’s the same time as well. I get that it depends on a lot of things but my routine is pretty solid and doesn’t vary much as far as my eating and hydration goes. Now I know it’s not “accurate” but that’s what I have to to by and have been going by.

Yeah, those things aren't accurate at all. They can possibly give you a trend if you use it under the same conditions but I wouldn't take those results too seriously. Did it have handles also? Do you know the make? Tanita? Most of these can give you a general ballpark but could be 10% or more off.

You're making nice progress. I wouldn't get too hung up on BF%. If you want a reasonable estimate, post pics here, 2 front, flexed and unflexed and 2 side flexed and unflexed. There are some folks here pretty good at giving visual estimates and that will be as accurate, probably more so, than the BI scale.
  • heathcash1252
    Options

I should have mentioned, this was on 1800 calories a day. The deficit along with working out is what did the vast majority of the job in my opinion. How many calories are you eating a day now?

Around 1,628
  • heathcash1252
    Options

Yeah, those things aren't accurate at all. They can possibly give you a trend if you use it under the same conditions but I wouldn't take those results too seriously. Did it have handles also? Do you know the make? Tanita? Most of these can give you a general ballpark but could be 10% or more off.

You're making nice progress. I wouldn't get too hung up on BF%. If you want a reasonable estimate, post pics here, 2 front, flexed and unflexed and 2 side flexed and unflexed. There are some folks here pretty good at giving visual estimates and that will be as accurate, probably more so, than the BI scale.

Yeah it had handle and you have to hold your arms out while holding onto them. I’m sure there are some pretty good eyes on here but relying on someone eyeballing me would be worse in my opinion than the scale. I’m going to keep going there and In some weeks I may post some pictures along with a a picture of the printout I get and see what everyone thinks.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I am 5'6", 156 now, my profile pic was me at the end of my last cut at 142 lbs, 10ish% BF%. I cut based on 45% carbs, 30% and 25% protein at about 2000 cals/day (1750+exercise cals), so 120-130 grams protein which was slightly more than 0.8 grams per lb of goal weight.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,400 MFP Moderator
    edited September 2019
    Options
    It seems like you have been making good progress. So i wouldn't change that. More importantly, what is your lifting program?

For me, I am cutting at less than 50g carbs, 150-175 protein and the rest fats. I follow PHAT, which is my winter program. Started a few weeks ago at 180 and now at 174.1 (thank you glycogen depletion)
  • jryd14
    jryd14 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    For my purposes, carbs and fat are generally interchangeable. But I lean towards carbs for energized workouts. I also eat more protein then neccesarily, but it's the most satiating for me.
    Generally 35% carb 25% fat and 40% protein.
    I'm 5'8 155lbs. Started at 197lbs 5 months ago.