jonmarrow wrote: »
    11Templars wrote: »
    mmapags wrote: »
    MikePTY wrote: »
    I also think stronglifts 5x5 would be a good program to start with. Just go back to 5 main lifts and cut all the extra for a while. Watch some form videos on bench press, go back to the gym and practice. Ask if they have a 35lb bar or smaller to practice with. Can you do pushups?

sorry, not able to do push ups.
    so you're saying i stop doing my current routine and just do these 3 exercises 3 times a day and that would put me in a better form than my current routine?

You can do pushups from your knees if you can't do them in normal form. There is no shame in that.

The big issue with your current workout is that you don't seem to be working out your chest at all. That is where your muscles appear to be weakest and why you are unable to do bench press, which uses your chest primarily. That is the core of your upper body strength and you need to develop it. Strong lifts in only 3 exercises because it works multiple muscle groups per exercise. It is better to do fewer meaningful exercises less frequently rather than doing exercises frequently that don't work what you need to work.

Always take a rest day between working the same body parts.

thanks so i did the 5x5 today. I did squats, bench press, barbell row. All with 45 lbs barbell and no weights added.

I am confused about working my chest. How is my chest even helping me with bench press? isn't it basically my arms and how strongly i push up the bar? whats the chest doing? nothing

My THIGHS are BURNING. I dont know if that means i'm on the right track or if i did something wrong like I can barely walk.

Can I still do cardio afterwards at least? to complete my daily 10k steps?

So what should i do next? tomorrow is rest day, can i do accessory/random dumbbell exercises and cardio on rest day?
    do i start adding weights the next time i do strength training and continue to increase weight with each subsequent turns or keep same weight for a week before adding more weight the next time?

how long am i supposed to keep the strength going for? so im not even doing lat pulls or dumbbell curls or shoulder press, leg extension...any of these exercises?

Bench press is primarily a chest exercise. Your arms guide the bar, but your power comes from your pectoral muscles. It uses shoulders and biceps/triceps too, but they are secondary muscles. Without chest strength, you will not be able to lift much.

As far as whether to increase weight, that is somewhat of a judgment call that you can make when you feel comfortable at each level you are at. You do not have to increase every time and as you move farther, you are not expected to increase every time.

I think some light cardio after your lift would be okay.

I would not do any other lifting besides strong lifts for the duration of the program. Take your time and build the basics. After you are finished with the first round, you can look at maybe adding some other exercises. But the program works your whole body pretty well with those three lifts. That's why it chooses them.

but am i then like not ignoring my biceps, shoulders and triceps by simply not doing exercises like dumbbell curls, cable triceps push down, etc?

i am finding it hard to believe this this simply program that i only have to do 3x times a week is gonna be more effective than my current routine:

1. 4 sets of 15 reps of dumbbell row of 55 lbs. 2 on each side.
    2. 2 sets of 15 reps of shoulder press of 35 lbs.
    3. 2 sets of 15 reps of dumbbell curves of 35 lbs.
    4. 2 sets of 15 reps of triceps extension of 35 lbs.
    5. 1 set of 15 reps of barbell curl of 50 lbs
    6. 1 set of 15 reps of curved barbell front raise 40 lbs.
    7. 2 sets of 15 reps of lat pull down of 90 - 110 lbs
    8. 2 sets of 15 reps of cable triceps push down 40 - 55 lbs.
    9. 2 sets of 15 reps of leg extension 70 - 80 lbs
    10. 2 sets of 15 reps of sitting leg curl of 120 lbs
    11. 2 sets of 15 reps of leg press of 135 lbs
    12. 15-25 min cardio

please confirm.

You asked for advice. You've gotten it and it's been consistent and good quality advice. So, then if what you are doing hasn't been effective, why do you want to keep arguing for it?

You've gotten great recommendations. Follow them for profit or just keep doing what you've already done and keep getting the same results.

Pretty much this ^^^.. But, to over simplify; A push is a push, and a pull is a pull. Meaning simply this: every pushing exercise, be it bench or shoulders press works your triceps, and every "Pulling" exercise works you biceps, whether its arm curls, back day, or even deadlifts.

As the gentleman point out, if you want the same results you've been getting, then keep doing to same things. If you want the results I, or others have been getting then listen to the advice you asked for. It was free, and I guarantee it'll work better than what you've been doing.

I'm 50 yrs old, 210 @10 bf, I've learned a thing or two over the years... :-)

QFT ^^^^

I would add that I'm 56, weigh 205 (looking leaner than I did at 195 after my weight loss, but not quite a 10 bf), never had a strength program in my life until I was 54. I can unequivocally tell you that Strong Lifts and Starting Strength work. In an earlier thread I mentioned that I started with the bar. (Except dead lifts - started that at 95). In less than 18 months, I went from the bar to the following sub-maxes in pounds (meaning I had enough to do higher and that I have never tried a "true" max):

Dead lift: 405
    Squat: 335
    Bench: 255
    Overhead: 175

I went from not being able to do more than 1 chin-up (pretty much my whole life) to being able to do 10 - and up to 35 over a 7 minute stretch.

Do one of the those programs - exactly as they are written and it is impossible for it not to work. I didn't care what anybody in the gym thought of me starting at the bar on day 1, having a 2.5 pound plate on each side the next time, a 5 pound weight the next time, etc.

These programs work - for everybody. Even those of us considered "old" by gym rats (many of whom can no longer out-lift this geezer).

thanks, that was inspiring. and they would work even if my genetic make up isnt as good or if im fat, right?

Yes they would work. Don't worry about whatever that is. Your genetic limitation should take quite some time to find.

Basically, in order to run the program as intended:
    1. Load incrementally every time for as long as you can.
    2. Sleep enough
    3. Eat enough
    4. Recover/Adapt
    5. Repeat.

Understand that if you choose to add things like cardio, it may oppose strength gains...somewhat. Building muscle requires the use of building blocks (like bricks for a house) in the form of calories - particularly those provided by protein. If you do too much cardio, you are competing for those blocks. It's going to be up to you how much muscle you want to build. That's not to say you should do no cardio - only to say that it will slow down the building of muscle.

thanks everyone for all the helpful advice.
    just wondering, ive noticed everyone keeps telling me to eat while im on this program.
    is this 5x5 stronglifts program going to help with weight loss and boosting metabolism or am i just going to turn into a fatty but...strong so like a strong fatty while off my ''current'' routine?

also is cardio doing on rest days or doing after training on training days bad?

and coming off my current heavy weight routine to doing 5x5 at beginners level, its still going to be effective for me and i wont loose my current build right?

should i still have protein shakes on training as well as rest days for muscle building and recovery?

You eat based on your goals, fat loss, muscle gain etc. For fat loss, a calorie deficit. For muscle gain, a slight surplus. If you are eating for fat loss while doing SL 5x5, it is important to not have an aggressive deficit. Even in a deficit, if it is slight, you may see some muscle gain.

Cardio on rest days other than 10 minutes or so before lifting as a warm up if you prefer. Stop worrying about your current build. Based on your strength or lack there of, there is not much to be concerned with. You build will improve on SL 5x5.

Protein shakes or not is unimportant. What is important is getting adequate protein, however you do that. Shoot for .8 grams per lb of body weight as a reasonable goal, more is ok, less is not. If a shake helps you hit that target, great.

It's time to stop over analyzing and start doing. Your hesitancy and worries continue to amaze me. Based on where you are now, you have nowhere to go but up by implementing SL 5x5.

If he is looking at losing weight, 9.8 grams per lb is overkill for protein... maybe 0.8 grams per lb of goal weight
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,937 Member
    erickirb wrote: »
    I also think stronglifts 5x5 would be a good program to start with. Just go back to 5 main lifts and cut all the extra for a while. Watch some form videos on bench press, go back to the gym and practice. Ask if they have a 35lb bar or smaller to practice with. Can you do pushups?

so you're saying i stop doing my current routine and just do these 3 exercises 3 times a day and that would put me in a better form than my current routine?

You can do pushups from your knees if you can't do them in normal form. There is no shame in that.

The big issue with your current workout is that you don't seem to be working out your chest at all. That is where your muscles appear to be weakest and why you are unable to do bench press, which uses your chest primarily. That is the core of your upper body strength and you need to develop it. Strong lifts in only 3 exercises because it works multiple muscle groups per exercise. It is better to do fewer meaningful exercises less frequently rather than doing exercises frequently that don't work what you need to work.

thanks so i did the 5x5 today. I did squats, bench press, barbell row. All with 45 lbs barbell and no weights added.

I am confused about working my chest. How is my chest even helping me with bench press? isn't it basically my arms and how strongly i push up the bar? whats the chest doing? nothing

My THIGHS are BURNING. I dont know if that means i'm on the right track or if i did something wrong like I can barely walk.

So what should i do next? tomorrow is rest day, can i do accessory/random dumbbell exercises and cardio on rest day?
    do i start adding weights the next time i do strength training and continue to increase weight with each subsequent turns or keep same weight for a week before adding more weight the next time?

how long am i supposed to keep the strength going for? so im not even doing lat pulls or dumbbell curls or shoulder press, leg extension...any of these exercises?

Bench press is primarily a chest exercise. Your arms guide the bar, but your power comes from your pectoral muscles. It uses shoulders and biceps/triceps too, but they are secondary muscles. Without chest strength, you will not be able to lift much.

As far as whether to increase weight, that is somewhat of a judgment call that you can make when you feel comfortable at each level you are at. You do not have to increase every time and as you move farther, you are not expected to increase every time.

I would not do any other lifting besides strong lifts for the duration of the program. Take your time and build the basics. After you are finished with the first round, you can look at maybe adding some other exercises. But the program works your whole body pretty well with those three lifts. That's why it chooses them.

but am i then like not ignoring my biceps, shoulders and triceps by simply not doing exercises like dumbbell curls, cable triceps push down, etc?

i am finding it hard to believe this this simply program that i only have to do 3x times a week is gonna be more effective than my current routine:

12. 15-25 min cardio

please confirm.

You asked for advice. You've gotten it and it's been consistent and good quality advice. So, then if what you are doing hasn't been effective, why do you want to keep arguing for it?

You've gotten great recommendations. Follow them for profit or just keep doing what you've already done and keep getting the same results.

Pretty much this ^^^.. But, to over simplify; A push is a push, and a pull is a pull. Meaning simply this: every pushing exercise, be it bench or shoulders press works your triceps, and every "Pulling" exercise works you biceps, whether its arm curls, back day, or even deadlifts.

As the gentleman point out, if you want the same results you've been getting, then keep doing to same things. If you want the results I, or others have been getting then listen to the advice you asked for. It was free, and I guarantee it'll work better than what you've been doing.

QFT ^^^^

I would add that I'm 56, weigh 205 (looking leaner than I did at 195 after my weight loss, but not quite a 10 bf), never had a strength program in my life until I was 54. I can unequivocally tell you that Strong Lifts and Starting Strength work. In an earlier thread I mentioned that I started with the bar. (Except dead lifts - started that at 95). In less than 18 months, I went from the bar to the following sub-maxes in pounds (meaning I had enough to do higher and that I have never tried a "true" max):

I went from not being able to do more than 1 chin-up (pretty much my whole life) to being able to do 10 - and up to 35 over a 7 minute stretch.

Do one of the those programs - exactly as they are written and it is impossible for it not to work. I didn't care what anybody in the gym thought of me starting at the bar on day 1, having a 2.5 pound plate on each side the next time, a 5 pound weight the next time, etc.

These programs work - for everybody. Even those of us considered "old" by gym rats (many of whom can no longer out-lift this geezer).

thanks, that was inspiring. and they would work even if my genetic make up isnt as good or if im fat, right?

Yes they would work. Don't worry about whatever that is. Your genetic limitation should take quite some time to find.

2. Sleep enough
    3. Eat enough
    4. Recover/Adapt
    5. Repeat.

Understand that if you choose to add things like cardio, it may oppose strength gains...somewhat. Building muscle requires the use of building blocks (like bricks for a house) in the form of calories - particularly those provided by protein. If you do too much cardio, you are competing for those blocks. It's going to be up to you how much muscle you want to build. That's not to say you should do no cardio - only to say that it will slow down the building of muscle.

just wondering, ive noticed everyone keeps telling me to eat while im on this program.
    is this 5x5 stronglifts program going to help with weight loss and boosting metabolism or am i just going to turn into a fatty but...strong so like a strong fatty while off my ''current'' routine?

and coming off my current heavy weight routine to doing 5x5 at beginners level, its still going to be effective for me and i wont loose my current build right?

should i still have protein shakes on training as well as rest days for muscle building and recovery?

You eat based on your goals, fat loss, muscle gain etc. For fat loss, a calorie deficit. For muscle gain, a slight surplus. If you are eating for fat loss while doing SL 5x5, it is important to not have an aggressive deficit. Even in a deficit, if it is slight, you may see some muscle gain.

Cardio on rest days other than 10 minutes or so before lifting as a warm up if you prefer. Stop worrying about your current build. Based on your strength or lack there of, there is not much to be concerned with. You build will improve on SL 5x5.

Protein shakes or not is unimportant. What is important is getting adequate protein, however you do that. Shoot for .8 grams per lb of body weight as a reasonable goal, more is ok, less is not. If a shake helps you hit that target, great.

It's time to stop over analyzing and start doing. Your hesitancy and worries continue to amaze me. Based on where you are now, you have nowhere to go but up by implementing SL 5x5.

If he is looking at losing weight, 9.8 grams per lb is overkill for protein... maybe 0.8 grams per lb of goal weight

Everybody has their thoughts on this. In listening to Eric Helms, he recommends the .8 gr per lb of body weight as a good range with a "buffer" added in. He also recommends 1 gr per lb of lean mass but uses the body weight number because most folks don't know their lean mass with any degree of accuracy.

Curious as to why you feel less is better if losing weight? HIgh fat mass that doesn't need protein support?
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    ^ Guys, the OP is SO confused already. This protein discussion/argument doesn’t even matter and will only confuse him further. 1lb per gram of lean mass? Do we really want him spending the next three days trying to just figure out the math of his lean mass??

OP, just eat lots of protein.

And if you need a bit of a guide for your daily goal, because now you’re thinking “But what’s lots???” MFP allows you to set your macro percentages for Protien/Fats/Carbs. An easy way to make sure you’re making protien a priority is to set it to 40% and the other two to 30% each.

*The following has more detail and COULD get confusing. If it’s confusing ignore all of it and just stick to my advice above. 40/30/30 DONE.

So say MFP says you need 2,000 to lose 1lb per week based on the info you gave it. You can change your macro goal by PERCENTAGE and it will auto calculate grams for you. So as you log your foods it will show you what you’ve eaten vs your goal. So 61g of protein out of a 100g goal (for example).
    And then you can make food choices that help you hit that goal along with your calorie goal.
    40% protein is a nice solid place for you to start without much worry.

Yes, given the OPs propensity for over analyzing, I think you are right. If he sets it at 40% that will be more than adequate and is nice and simple. Sometime those of us who have been at this for awhile like Erick and I can get caught up in our own minutiae based on our study, reading and podcasts from the people we think are credible. In this case, I think your perspective is dead on.

I’m RIGHT there with you. Calories/Macros/Micros/ turns into a math game for me and I go all in, lol. Add in the fun of creating my own personal workout program and OOO BOY, don’t let be get started!
    But I’m also a fellow over-analyzer, and I train staff, so I think it helps me switch into “simplify” mode for new people. Especially when it’s another over-analyzer.
  • fitpal02020
    fitpal02020 Posts: 193 Member
    ^ Guys, the OP is SO confused already. This protein discussion/argument doesn’t even matter and will only confuse him further. 1lb per gram of lean mass? Do we really want him spending the next three days trying to just figure out the math of his lean mass??

And if you need a bit of a guide for your daily goal, because now you’re thinking “But what’s lots???” MFP allows you to set your macro percentages for Protien/Fats/Carbs. An easy way to make sure you’re making protien a priority is to set it to 40% and the other two to 30% each.

*The following has more detail and COULD get confusing. If it’s confusing ignore all of it and just stick to my advice above. 40/30/30 DONE.

So say MFP says you need 2,000 to lose 1lb per week based on the info you gave it. You can change your macro goal by PERCENTAGE and it will auto calculate grams for you. So as you log your foods it will show you what you’ve eaten vs your goal. So 61g of protein out of a 100g goal (for example).
    And then you can make food choices that help you hit that goal along with your calorie goal.

Yes, given the OPs propensity for over analyzing, I think you are right. If he sets it at 40% that will be more than adequate and is nice and simple. Sometime those of us who have been at this for awhile like Erick and I can get caught up in our own minutiae based on our study, reading and podcasts from the people we think are credible. In this case, I think your perspective is dead on.

I’m RIGHT there with you. Calories/Macros/Micros/ turns into a math game for me and I go all in, lol. Add in the fun of creating my own personal workout program and OOO BOY, don’t let be get started!
    But I’m also a fellow over-analyzer, and I train staff, so I think it helps me switch into “simplify” mo
    de for new people. Especially when it’s another over-analyzer.

thanks so how do i know what calorie deficit should be? how many calories will i be burning with the 5x5 stronglifts program?

is this program also giving shape and form to my body such as back, forearms, biceps etc?

• fitpal02020
    update: today was my 3rd workut. I did squats, 10 lbs. I thought it felt difficult but when i look back, i actually did it without feeling burnt out. guess the program is working.
    i still felt soreness as i was squatting though but I am able to walk up and down the stairs less painfully now.

is this normal?
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    update: today was my 3rd workut. I did squats, 10 lbs. I thought it felt difficult but when i look back, i actually did it without feeling burnt out. guess the program is working.
    i still felt soreness as i was squatting though but I am able to walk up and down the stairs less painfully now.

is this normal?

Yes, less soreness is normal as your body gets stronger and adapts to the new workout that you’re puting it through.
    Yes, the program will help shape your body, but right now your main focus is losing the excess fat, keeping the muscle you have while you lose, and having a fairly nice shape when you hit goal.

As to figuring out how many calories you should eat:

Go to the main MFP site outside of the forums. In your account it lets you plug in your stats: gender/height/weight, and then lets you choose your rate of loss. From that information it will tell you how many calories to eat a day. It also allows you to log exercise. Doing this will allow MFP to guess your calorie burn and adjust your calories for the day to make sure you’re eating enough.

Are you using the website or the app? I use the app. I like the layout and ease of use.
    If you can’t figure it out, just go to YouTube and search “MyFitnessPal setup” so you can see it being done in front of you.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    erickirb wrote: »

12. 15-25 min cardio

please confirm.

QFT ^^^^

2. Sleep enough
    3. Eat enough
    4. Recover/Adapt
    5. Repeat.

Everybody has their thoughts on this. In listening to Eric Helms, he recommends the .8 gr per lb of body weight as a good range with a "buffer" added in. He also recommends 1 gr per lb of lean mass but uses the body weight number because most folks don't know their lean mass with any degree of accuracy.

Curious as to why you feel less is better if losing weight? HIgh fat mass that doesn't need protein support?

1 gram per lm is never the "recommendation" it isuaully 0.8 to 1 gram per lb of lean body mass.. most dont know their bf%, so much easier to suggest 0.8 grams per lb of gaol weight, which should be close to 1 gram per lb of lean mass.
  • erickirb

But I’m also a fellow over-analyzer, and I train staff, so I think it helps me switch into “simplify” mo
    de for new people. Especially when it’s another over-analyzer.

thanks so how do i know what calorie deficit should be? how many calories will i be burning with the 5x5 stronglifts program?

is this program also giving shape and form to my body such as back, forearms, biceps etc?

Yes, it will work those mucsles, so you will retain what you have as you lose the fat on top.... instead of trying to figure out how much you burn from lifting, I just increase acivity level to lite active. You could log "strength training" in the cardio section to get an estimate of cals burned instead.

Deficit size depends on how much you have to lose. I would say 0.5 lbs/week to a max of 1/ week (deficit of 250 or 500)
  • erickirb
    If you eat 2000 cals, than 30% protein should be more than enough... using grams is a better idea, then pick a % that gives you that amount.

So, if a goal weight of 180 lbs that is protein need of 144 grams.. if yoh eat 2000 cals that is 28.8%, so set at 30%
  • samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 443 Member

is this normal?

Completely, keep going and before you know it you wont be sore at all.

Just tired!
  • fitpal02020
    by the way, is it okay to change order of the three exercises in one day?
    For example, WEEK 2 DAY 1 is supposed to be squats, head press and deadlift. I ended up doing head press, deadlift and squats because i was waiting for the rack to become available.

good? also when can i start seeing results?
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited September 2019
    For example, WEEK 2 DAY 1 is supposed to be squats, head press and deadlift. I ended up doing head press, deadlift and squats because i was waiting for the rack to become available.

That's fine.

Be patient. You'll see progress over time. Push yourself each week. If you hinder yourself with doubt each workout so that you always only lift the same weight for the same reps, you'll only ever lift the same weight for the same reps.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Also, not sure if it was addressed earlier and I missed it or not but how old are you?
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member

As Carlos said, that's fine.

Re the bolded: Dude you need to put on some patient pants. This is a long process. Weeks at least. Month more likely. The question you have to ask yourself is how soon will you see progress if you don't do anything. There is no shortcut to results.

Luckily, if you are beginner, it's not as long as it will be later. But I guarantee you this: if you do a novice linear progression properly, you will see results. In a matter of a couple of months, you should find yourself lifting more than you thought you could.

But as @mmapags says, you must be patient. If you are looking to lift weights hard for a couple of months, expecting to look like a fitness model (not saying you are doing this), and then stopping you would need to adjust your expectations. It takes a long time of doing consistent work to do this. The work is not impossible, it just needs to be consistent and progressive.

The health benefits of lifting should continue for life.

The other thing I would mention is that you will not likely notice day-to-day or even month-to-month. But go 6-12 months without seeing somebody and they will notice.

So in the long run, if you are going to do this, do this for your health. Let the "results" come via the process.

Oh...and trust the process (do it right though).
  • erickirb
    edited September 2019

Once you get to the heavier weights were you may or may not fail, it may make a difference. In other words, after doing deadlifts and OH press, you may not get all 5 sets of 5 in the squat. so although not issues technically, it may impact progression

Results in strength should become apparent pretty fast, as you move up weight. are you talking body composition? that will come down more to diet than the lifting.
  • samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 443 Member
    also when can i start seeing results?

Results are not important right now, with time and diligence they will come.

What is important is taking the process seriously, not rushing, and really focusing on practising the movements.

People can lift pretty heavy with poor form, but there is eventually a price to pay if they do.

Work on making sure you are doing it right, before you worry about doing it heavy.

And if you go through the program well, results will follow.
This discussion has been closed.