Ketogenic Diet and Duodenal Switch ( DS ) weight loss journey

13»

Replies

• wbharris
    wbharris Posts: 1 Member
    I am so happy I found this thread. I had BPD with DS surgery in 2002 (17 yrs ago) and originally lost 123 lbs, down to 190. Since that time and the honeymoon ended I have tried Weight Watchers and lost 75 lbs, but 50-60 came back and did Keto once before but wasn't well educated on how to do it with my weight loss surgery history.

I don't have a Dr anymore to monitor labs as he passed away and at that time there was not a nutritionist that he had us see for support. All I was told was after 18 mos out, up my protein from 40 gms a day to around 90 and I would continue to lose. I also had zero sugar, carbs didn't matter during that 18 month honeymoon period. I couldn't even eat veggies except spinach and mushrooms as there is sugar in veggies too (although naturally occurring). It was very strict.

I started this week on Keto again, wanting to make this a lifestyle choice and get off carbs for good. They do a number on my intestines (phew). I am looking to lose ultimately 80 lbs but would be VERY happy with 55.

What I am gathering from above comments is to keep my carbs around 20g, protein 90-100g and fill in with fat to meet calorie goals. That way not adding extra fat will force my body to burn my fat instead of what I ate. I realize I can't have zero fat and that eating low fat typically means high sugar (which is a no no). So I have to find that sweet spot for fat.

Thanks again everyone for keeping this thread going. I'll check back here for updates from people but I love that I finally found a place for very very post DS surgery.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    yadda78 wrote: »
    Okay, I never reached out to anyone online so this will be my first post ever! I had the duodenal switch ten years ago and lost 130 lbs. My lowest weight was 183 pounds and I was “good” with that number. Then, life ills began to happen in which I was losing family members and friends back to back.
    In addition, last year I experienced ds hell! My vitamins ADEK was extremely low and I could barely move. I had my DS in California so I had to fly there to get help since the doc’s in NC was not getting my issue. The doc gave me a shot, put me on a strict regimen of eating fatty meats, no sugar or carbs, and drinking plenty of water, I felt better within a month time. However, when the smoked cleared I weighed 225 pounds. Somehow, I managed to lose 14 pounds without thinking about it but I am still in the uncomfortable, I do not want to be here again range.
    I would like to know how you all are “key toeing” How are you setting up your macros using my fitness pal. Do you all have any issues (runny stool and bad gas) after consuming veggies and fats? Recently, I discovered Dr. Eric Burg and I am thinking about taking his supplement for Gaul bladder and electrolytes. Have any of you heard of him? Have any of you tried his supplements?
    Any assistance would be great at this time. I am so tired of battling my issues with weight.

Why would you take nutritional advice from a chiropractor? Many better science based nutritional advocates. If keto is your intention, check out Dom d'agostino. He is a real keto scientist.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    I didn't know about this surgery so I went and read here...

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/treatment-tests-and-therapies/bpdds-weightloss-surgery

One of the statements that I read was this...

It reduces the amount of fat that your body will absorb.

I guess my question would be...If you have had surgery that reduces the amount of fat that your body can absorb how can you go on a high fat diet?

I also read this...

If you do eat fatty meals, you may have stomach cramping and loose stools.

Are you still under a doctors care since this is a procedure that is supposed to be monitored for life especially due to not being able to absorb a lot of your micros through food.

Personally I think anyone advising you to go KETO or any high fat diet doesn't understand this surgery. I think you should talk to your doctors to see what they advise.