Any diet soda drinkers here?

I was a huge fan of soda/juice before starting my weight loss journey. Any avid diet soda drinkers here? I never drank a diet soda in my life but just started this week.

Replies

• Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,476 Member
    I'm a diet soda drinker! I grew up on diet soda. I used to drink it more often, now I usually get a small bottle when I grocery shop or drink it when I visit my parents. If I kept it in the house it'd be all I'd drink instead of iced tea and lots of water. Favs are Diet Pepsi, Vanilla Coke Zero, and Zevia ginger ale.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    well I wouldnt say I am an avid diet soda dinker - but I usually drink equivalent of 2 - 3 cans per week

Like you OP , I did not ever drink it until starting weight loss journey - one of the first things I did to save calories was switch from regular to diet version
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    edited September 2019
    well I wouldnt say I am an avid diet soda dinker - but I usually drink equivalent of 2 - 3 cans per week

Like you OP , I did not ever drink it until starting weight loss journey - one of the first things I did to save calories was switch from regular to diet version

I'm shocked paperpudding.. you're a dinker? :laugh: :)

2x 300ml diet ginger ales most afternoons.. I too swapped to diet soft drink to save calories.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    I’ve never drunk anything but diet drinks since they reached the UK in the very early 70s (from memory) I remember Diet Tab cola being the first available - didn’t taste great but as a pre-teen who had a very skinny older sister I thought I was too fat (in hindsight I wasn’t, it was just comparison) it was a revelation calorie wise!

I don’t drink many these days but if I’m extra hungry I’ll drink a Diet Coke half an hour before I start prepping my dinner. Helps me greatly in getting the portion size right and not overcompensating for my hunger.
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    I used to drink a lot more of it, but I've cut down since I bought a sodastream. Now I just have plain sparkling water, sometimes with a bit of juice in it for flavour. I'll still buy diet soda as a treat sometimes, though.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    I’ve never drunk anything but diet drinks since they reached the UK in the very early 70s (from memory) I remember Diet Tab cola being the first available - didn’t taste great but as a pre-teen who had a very skinny older sister I thought I was too fat (in hindsight I wasn’t, it was just comparison) it was a revelation calorie wise!

I don’t drink many these days but if I’m extra hungry I’ll drink a Diet Coke half an hour before I start prepping my dinner. Helps me greatly in getting the portion size right and not overcompensating for my hunger.

^ditto this.
    I have been drinking Diet Pepsi since 1970. Beverage of choice for decades, with occasional switches to other diet pops, but always diet. I’m going to be 68 in 10 days, no health issues, so far, and on no prescription drugs.

Nowadays I drink ice water mostly. I do have Diet Pepsi and diet citrus green tea in the house because I like it occasionally.
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    I usually drink 3 bottles of diet soda a day and have done so for decades (before gaining 240+ pounds, during my weight loss of all those pounds, and now in maintenance for the last couple years).
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Yep, a can of Coke Zero most mornings on my way into work.
    I don't like spending calories on beverages (except the adult kind), so I have been drinking diet sodas for years.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    I had two cans this morning...I had an upset tummy and for whatever reason it was helping. Usually I have one every other day or so. I know a lot of people say it's evil and it will make you fatter, but that hasn't been my experience.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    edited September 2019
    Coke Zero is my spirit animal.

I usually drink one can a day :smile:
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited September 2019
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    I had two cans this morning...I had an upset tummy and for whatever reason it was helping. Usually I have one every other day or so. I know a lot of people say it's evil and it will make you fatter, but that hasn't been my experience.

Eating more calories than your body burns is what causes weight gain. You’d have to drink a lot of diet pop @ zero (or very minimal) calories, no one is going to do that. Kind of impossible.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    Not much of a soda drinker unless it is accompanied by rum. Of all the diet versions, I like Coke Zero the best...
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Discovering diet ginger ale (Canada Dry) changed my life. With or without rum. :)
  • J72FIT
    Kathryn247 wrote: »
    Discovering diet ginger ale (Canada Dry) changed my life. With or without rum. :)

Ginger Ale is fantastic with rum... :)
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    J72FIT wrote: »

It's good with whiskey too
  • J72FIT

It's good with whiskey too

Yes it is. Also, to my surprise Gin.
  • hmhill17
    hmhill17 Posts: 283 Member

Yes it is. Also, to my surprise Gin.

Lies, Gin isn't good with anything.

I drink 1 diet soda a day. I get water at restaurants now since everywhere is unlimited soda refills it seems. It was mainly an expense and caffeine thing when I realized I was spending $50 a week or more on soda between 12 packs and restaurants and having trouble falling asleep at night.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    kenyonhaff wrote: »

People who say that are either 1.) afraid of the "evil chemicals" that they think will harm you, or 2.) believe that drinking them makes you crave food, causing you to overeat. They have never had that effect on me.
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    I have lived on Diet Mt Dew for a long time. Now drinking more coffee + tea because I have so much of it, but still love diet soda. Oh - and I've been maintaining a 50 pound weight loss for 18 years.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,145 Member
    I grew up with parents who believed very firmly that ‘sugar makes children hyper’, so I’ve never really had anything except diet sodas. Every once in a while if I’m really dragging I’ll have a regular Coke for the sugar rush (yeah, maybe my parents were onto something 😛). I usually have 1-2 diet energy drinks a day and some kind of diet soda 2-3 times a week.