Flavors of Childhood?

Options

Replies

• 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    k8eekins wrote: »
    We'd eat steamed ginger pudding with custard at the boarding house during winter season. It wasn't a totally new conce
    pt, a
    s my maternal grandmother would make her earth oven steamed spice pudding served with custard too. The hot dessert I really liked, which was different was the Self saucing chocolate pudding served with vanilla ice cream. On cold winter nights ... A treat.
    https://youtu.be/68uGMKdt9IY

Aren't you the someone who'd suggested and helped out with a few recipes, even a pretty uber traditional one?

Childhood ... The Christmas holidays and pudding with custard. Happy memories.

The boarding house fare weren't too bad. I believe that I can still finish an entire tray to myself now, without needing any ice cream. #Will always remember Ms Dodge and Mrs Halliwell

Yes I did. Traditional methods work@see liquidized cocoa in pudding pre baking, turns into magic a la Magic custardy cake.

The boarding house head chefs didn't skimp on our daily fares at all. Childhood memories borne out of those kitchens. 💛😋
  • 777Gemma888
    Options
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    Just thought of one that I don't think has been mentioned, bubble gum cigarettes! I used to love those packs! If you blew really hard on it sugar would fly out and it would look like smoke just like how the adults looked. I used to pretend I was my mom. Not surprisingly I ended up being a smoker at a young age!

Lol ... The only thing that would fly out for us, was if we rolled up white paper and poured cornstarch into it to blow out, imitating our mum's siblings who were teen and 20 something's smokers. We never did smoke however. :laugh:
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    492cuubuhwdd.jpg
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    oq1a94erxnxh.jpg
    fpc2nkz70c82.jpeg
  • 777Gemma888
    Options
    oq1a94erxnxh.jpg

Cheese sauce on broccoli. 💛 Learnt how to make it from scratch for Sunday lunch after church at my mum's friend & sister's form-mate's home in NZ whilst on a long weekend overnight from boarding. :)
  • pancakerunner
    edited September 2019
    Options
    rj0ysyv0yujl.jpg
  • 777Gemma888
    Options
    rj0ysyv0yujl.jpg

35uotpss7b7s.png

This was our chocolate and strawberry milk brand back when we were single digits. Fonterra hadn't bought the company then, so it was either imported from NZ or Australia to be sold at niche stores, usually friends of our parents who would stock them in a semi sloshed milk liquid state.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    oq1a94erxnxh.jpg

Cheese sauce on broccoli. 💛 Learnt how to make it from scratch for Sunday lunch after church at my mum's friend & sister's form-mate's home in NZ whilst on a long weekend overnight from boarding. :)

I honestly hate cheese sauce on broccoli and I know I'm the only one, pretty much. haha
    My former mother-in-law was appalled by this.

I actually hadn't tried cheese-free broccoli until my late twenties and then I started liking broccoli.
  • chris89topher
    chris89topher Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    Just thought of one that I don't think has been mentioned, bubble gum cigarettes! I used to love those packs! If you blew really hard on it sugar would fly out and it would look like smoke just like how the adults looked. I used to pretend I was my mom. Not surprisingly I ended up being a smoker at a young age!

Wow, you're the first person I've ever heard of that remembers those! I've mentioned them to people before and all I get is blank stares. They did exist!! 😁
  • 777Gemma888
    Options
    oq1a94erxnxh.jpg

I honestly hate cheese sauce on broccoli and I know I'm the only one, pretty much. haha

I actually hadn't tried cheese-free broccoli until my late twenties and then I started liking broccoli.

If you didn't like broccoli, you should never try Pacific island spinach stems. Prep method : Peeling off the exterior ( think prepping rhubarbs) . Blanching the stems for 5 minutes. Shredding them with a fork lengthwise. Serve with a thin coconut lemon chili dressing ( raw onions, tomatoes, Italian parsley).

My point ^ ... If you sat through having to eat the above, where you can still taste the crunchy rawness, broccoli and cheesy dressing was like heaven.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    oq1a94erxnxh.jpg

If you didn't like broccoli, you should never try Pacific island spinach stems. Prep method : Peeling off the exterior ( think prepping rhubarbs) . Blanching the stems for 5 minutes. Shredding them with a fork lengthwise. Serve with a thin coconut lemon chili dressing ( raw onions, tomatoes, Italian parsley).

My point ^ ... If you sat through having to eat the above, where you can still taste the crunchy rawness, broccoli and cheesy dressing was like heaven.

Actually the spinach stems sounds like something I'd love! I adore rhubarb, crunchy veggies, etc. Yum!
  • bear2303
    bear2303 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    oq1a94erxnxh.jpg

I was never a fan of cheese sauce and broccoli! I'd much prefer broccoli plain or even with a little bit of mayo! Lol thats how i grew up eating broccoli and i really don't like it paired with cheese either!
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    bear2303 wrote: »
    oq1a94erxnxh.jpg

I was never a fan of cheese sauce and broccoli! I'd much prefer broccoli plain or even with a little bit of mayo! Lol thats how i grew up eating broccoli and i really don't like it paired with cheese either!

Cheese + broccoli + ketchup is one of my favorite things. I also love broccoli with nutritional yeast and liquid aminos
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    9i3udf7altp5.png
  • bear2303
    bear2303 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    9i3udf7altp5.png

OMG i LOVE SBARRO, i still go out of my way to go to a mall that has a sbarro still in it!
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    bear2303 wrote: »
    9i3udf7altp5.png

OMG i LOVE SBARRO, i still go out of my way to go to a mall that has a sbarro still in it!

ME TOO. I'm so glad my mall still has Sbarro, 'cause a lot of the other food places have closed, but I can still get my stromboli when I want it!
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    Well, due to that other thread, now I have angel food cake on the brain. It was a favorite birthday dessert of mine as a kid, I would always request it. Store bought angel food cake, with some whipped cream topping - that’s it. Man I loved it so much!
  • RelCanonical
    Options
    MichSmish wrote: »
    Well, due to that other thread, now I have angel food cake on the brain. It was a favorite birthday dessert of mine as a kid, I would always request it. Store bought angel food cake, with some whipped cream topping - that’s it. Man I loved it so much!

I wish I had thought about whipped cream on it as a kid! That sounds delicious.
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    xze88oxz8bpq.jpg
    w8v9c77vcn4o.jpg

anyone else have cheez it casserole growing up?
  • RelCanonical
    Options
    I've never had it before but now I know what I making for Thanksgiving dinner.