Weights. Can I do this alone?

I've read lots of success stories and the 'after' physiques that I admire in women all appear to have lifted heavy with a bit of cardio.

I'm way too self conscious to join a gym and I can't afford it anyway but there's a bench and weights in my spare room that my son left behind.

There's so much stuff available online but I don't know enough to avoid the bad advice. I'm worried I could get it wrong and cause injury. Can anyone recommend a decent beginner's programme that I can safely do alone and that promotes good form from the start?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,788 Member
    This is a really good thread that lists some well-respected strength training programs others here have used, and the thread can be a good place to ask questions, if the posts don't answer all of the ones you have:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • Bedazzled35
    Bedazzled35 Posts: 50 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    This is a really good thread that lists some well-respected strength training programs others here have used, and the thread can be a good place to ask questions, if the posts don't answer all of the ones you have:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Thank you
  • surfbug808
    surfbug808 Posts: 251 Member
    I think to avoid injury it's helpful to have a personal trainer or at least someone, a friend, your son or whomever you feel comfortable with, who knows what they are doing to help with form, even if it's just initially. For example, watching a video on how to do a squat or plank will give a good idea on what to do and practice. But, if the posture is incorrect, it can cause injury, imbalances and so on, even if it's not immediately apparent or visible. Or you might end up exercising a different muscle then you had intended. As an example I had a trainer for a year, and then another trainer, and so I had good form. Fast forward five years later, I've been working out without a trainer. I just recently hired another one, and while my form is still good for the most part (habit from regular practice), certain aspects had to get corrected. My sister had the same experience. She had a trainer for a long time. Then went solo for many years at the gym. She was doing 20 push-ups a day. Then she hired a trainer again over the summer, who told her that her push-ups had lost form. When the form was corrected, she could only do 4 real push-ups because she wasn't engaging the right muscles anymore (it turned out that when she was doing 20 it's because she was cheating and relying on the incorrect posture/muscles/form). So having someone spot you or help you as you learn the exercises correctly, and then re-check once in a while really helps. This isn't to discourage you from videos etc. which are great. But a mirror and someone who is able to provide accurate feedback on details will make a big difference.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Google Alan Thrall videos - These are good videos to help you learn proper form for vatious barbell exercises.
    For a good starting program look at Strong Curves or Starting strength
  • Bedazzled35
    ecjim wrote: »
    Google Alan Thrall videos - These are good videos to help you learn proper form for vatious barbell exercises.
    For a good starting program look at Strong Curves or Starting strength

Thank you
  • You absolutely can do it alone. There’s lots of folks on here lifting me included. Hadn’t a clue what I was doing in the beginning. I Looked at some videos of people on line doing the lifts. I Read a few books. Then I just gave it a go. First few weeks were a bit hit and miss them I got really into it.

Have a look at the programmes linked above. If you don’t want to join a gym there are a few body weight programmes u could try. Let us know how you get on
  • anatomyjanedoll
    anatomyjanedoll Posts: 36 Member
    I'm in the same position. Don't know much about weight training and strength exercises. Cardio has always been my thing until now wanting to build more lean muscle mass. I am at a gym but am frugal so only taking the free first PT session. After tht I guess instructional videos, doing some research on different techniques, etc. Practice but start out easy don't wanna hurt yourself. Good luck! 😀
  • Bedazzled35
    I'm in the same position. Don't know much about weight training and strength exercises. Cardio has always been my thing until now wanting to build more lean muscle mass. I am at a gym but am frugal so only taking the free first PT session. After tht I guess instructional videos, doing some research on different techniques, etc. Practice but start out easy don't wanna hurt yourself. Good luck! 😀

Thanks. Good luck to you too
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Definitely have someone at least watch your form for squats and deadlifts. Watching videos is helpful but the video can't watch you to make sure you're not rounding your back etc.
  • mreichard
    mreichard Posts: 235 Member
    If you don't know someone in real life to watch you do the big barbell lifts (squat, deadift, bench press), take a video of yourself lifting with your phone and post on here. There is a thread at https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10756076/barbell-form-check-e-g-squats-deadlift-benching-presses#latest that's just for this purpose, and the person who started it will give you good feedback.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Another suggestion - start light , like maybe just a bare bar - spend some time on learning the technique before you use a weight that requires some effort
  • Bedazzled35
    mreichard wrote: »
    If you don't know someone in real life to watch you do the big barbell lifts (squat, deadift, bench press), take a video of yourself lifting with your phone and post on here. There is a thread at https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10756076/barbell-form-check-e-g-squats-deadlift-benching-presses#latest that's just for this purpose, and the person who started it will give you good feedback.

That's a great idea, thanks
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Strong lifts 5x5 has videos on all of the lifts they do. FitnessBlender.com will show you how to do all the exercises they do. Most on line exercise sites will show you the proper form for their exercises. Search for a plan, find a plan, try a plan and, if you like it, keep a plan. Iy you don't like it, try another.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    My wife really like New Rule of Lifting for Women when she started. The program is pretty decent, though it gets a bit convoluted in the end IMO...but the read is great for women just getting into lifting as it explains a lot of what you should be doing, why you should be doing it, and dispels a lot of myths.

She's been lifting for almost 7 years now.