Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

"Diet Face" - should we choose face over body or vice versa?

Replies

• SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Interesting. When I was younger and had no need to worry about it I would definitely have chosen face over body. Now it's the other way round.

That said, I have no desire to get to a very low body fat level, and my interest in my body is functionality and fitness rather than looks. So I am unlikely to get the very gaunt look. I think what surprised me about Jenni Murray's view was that she is happy to be overweight in order to be happy with her face. Up to her, obviously, but having gone to the trouble of having bariatric surgery it seems to me a tad perverse not to get to a healthy weight. After all, as someone else has pointed out on this thread, there are any number of facial procedures available to improve a gaunt face, and they don't all cost a bomb.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    what is diet face

Hahaha....my question exactly!!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Ok, the what is diet face.
    It’s the gaunt, sunken, wrinkled look you get when you initially lose weight.

Here is an example.
    Left is mid 40’s pre weight gain, so same weight as I am now.
    Centre was a year or so ago with my mid 60’s face. Nicely settled into its lack of fat and multitude of wrinkles.
    Right is my mid 50’s face just after I had lost weight. Gaunt, angular, hollow eyed and wrinkled.

x1pjrucqiw2l.jpeg

Cheers, h.

(I couldn’t get the whole article either. I did google her and found she is 3years older than me, just to give the aging face as well as weight loss context)

Wow, that is a truly great example! Thank you for sharing.

I'm up about 11 lb from my lowest weight in 2014, which is great with me as I'm pleased with my maintenance level...but I do think at that point I had a worse "diet face" with my eyes looking more hollow and teeth seemed crazily prominent. Apparently my face has settled a little bit, looking much more normal, fuller, and after seeing this example I think maybe it's time that has helped & not just from the extra 11 lb.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    I did not know this was a thing. I prefer my "diet face" to my "pre-diet face." Yes, I can see a few more wrinkles, but I couldn't stand the way I looked when I was overweight. Then again, I find angular faces more attractive than round ones. Personal preference, I guess.

@middlehaitch I think you look beautiful in all three pictures!

Me neither... learn something new and silly on this site every day :laugh:
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    I did not know this was a thing. I prefer my "diet face" to my "pre-diet face." Yes, I can see a few more wrinkles, but I couldn't stand the way I looked when I was overweight. Then again, I find angular faces more attractive than round ones. Personal preference, I guess.

@middlehaitch I think you look beautiful in all three pictures!

Me neither... learn something new and silly on this site every day :laugh:

Definitely. I've never dieted in my life and apparently I have diet face. In my case, it's a familial tendency to facial thinning with age. My grandmother had it and my dad had it. Although I've gained about 15 pounds since my early 20s, my face is considerably thinner.
  • Ninkasi
    Ninkasi Posts: 173 Member
    I still have a fat face anyway after losing 50 pounds so it hasn't been an issue. My face is less fat, but still fat. Just in case, though, I've been microneedling in case things start sagging.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Like @AnnPT77 and @middlehaitch I found my diet face improved greatly about a year after I was done. I had hollow eyes for a while. But my face still looks better thinner. I have small features and being obese looked terrible on me.

I don’t want to be super lean in any case because I don’t think my body looks good like that. The words ropy and stringy come to mind. Not to mention being underweight with super low body fat isn’t any healthier than being overweight!
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    I’m ok with my diet face. I am sad about my diet boobs.

Quote of the day!
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Looking at what “procedures” are available, dermal fillers are less risky than abdominoplasty. Although tummy tucks are one and done, whereas dermal fillers will be an ongoing thing for the rest of one’s life.

A tummy tuck wouldn’t help me much anyway, I’m still hanging onto visceral fat, and that’s what’s currently driving me to go below my previous goal weight, despite my gaunt face. So health first.

If I didn’t have the amount of visceral fat that I do, I think I might choose face over a flat stomach.
  • unstableunicorn
    unstableunicorn Posts: 216 Member
    My goal BMI range is roughly 23-26. I doubt I’ll get “diet face”, but even if I do it’s better than double-chin.

What I *am* worried about is my spare tire turning into an apron. Seen and heard too many horror stories of the health problems it can create, especially for women who work in conditions like my own work environment.