Shakshuka! (Looking for Recipes from Jerusalem area )

Options
Safari_Gal_
Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
2zrj8c82horn.jpeg

Hi All!

I got these beautiful Copper Maran and Blue Cream Legbar eggs this morning.

It’s been getting chilly and I’ve been really craving travel and spicy food! ✈️ 🧳

So i remembered the shakshuka recipe I got while staying in the old city in Jerusalem... it really hit the spot. I made a single serving..

Which got me to thinking—- any one make Shakshuka? Any other recipes from the Jerusalem neighborhood?

The above is made with:
Eggs
Tomato
Harissa
Chili pepper
Olive oil
Red peppers
Parsley
Garlic
Feta - optional...

👩🏼‍🍳

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,606 Member
    Options
    It's been a long time I was last in Jerusalem. Ottolenghi's cookbooks might bring back memories but they tend to be complicated. He has a cooking column in the Guardian in the UK so you might want to google that.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    It's been a long time I was last in Jerusalem. Ottolenghi's cookbooks might bring back memories but they tend to be complicated. He has a cooking column in the Guardian in the UK so you might want to google that.

Ohhhhhh sounds great! I saw his book awhile back in some shop in NYC. Just want to relive that feeling i had when I was last visiting!

Thanks @acpgee

r29mbfsrfcwi.jpeg
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    I do a version of shakshuka fairly regularly. Originally from a recipe on Pinterest, probably.

These days it’s just an onion, garlic, tomato, peppers, harissa stew with an egg baked into it! Simple and super quick but ticks all the boxes with a large handful of mixed leaves and cucumber. 😋
  • Safari_Gal_
    Options
    I do a version of shakshuka fairly regularly. Originally from a recipe on Pinterest, probably.

These days it’s just an onion, garlic, tomato, peppers, harissa stew with an egg baked into it! Simple and super quick but ticks all the boxes with a large handful of mixed leaves and cucumber. 😋

😋 yum!!! @BarbaraHelen2013
  • Safari_Gal_
    Options
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    From sunday :) All for me :)

slhqte1p8ipa.jpg

😮 awesomeness!!! 😋
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Israeli here. Based on the ingredients list, it looks like you had a Libyan-style shakshouka. Here’s my recipe:

Slice 4 cloves of garlic and one chili pepper thin.
    Sauté in 2 tbsp olive oil in a medium frying pan
    Add 600 grams passata or chopped tomatoes and simmer a few minutes
    Add a tablespoon of pepper, a tablespoon of harissa or filfelchuma, and salt and pepper to taste. Let simmer a few more minutes.
    Create 4 wells in the sauce using the back of a spoon and pour an egg into each well.
    Cover and let simmer until the yolks reach your desired level of donesness.
    Top with chopped parsley.

A Moroccan style shakshouka is basically the same but with chunkier tomatoes plus sliced onions and peppers.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Options
    Israeli here. Based on the ingredients list, it looks like you had a Libyan-style shakshouka. Here’s my recipe:

Slice 4 cloves of garlic and one chili pepper thin.
    Sauté in 2 tbsp olive oil in a medium frying pan
    Add 600 grams passata or chopped tomatoes and simmer a few minutes
    Add a tablespoon of pepper, a tablespoon of harissa or filfelchuma, and salt and pepper to taste. Let simmer a few more minutes.
    Create 4 wells in the sauce using the back of a spoon and pour an egg into each well.
    Cover and let simmer until the yolks reach your desired level of donesness.
    Top with chopped parsley.

A Moroccan style shakshouka is basically the same but with chunkier tomatoes plus sliced onions and peppers.

Thanks @bathsheba_c - I can’t wait to try this!
  • thenoise
    thenoise Posts: 11 Member
    Options

It's one of his less complex recipes, and it's a winner. His version isn't particularly hot though - doesn't have any chilli - so I usually add either a fresh chilli, a bit of powder or - blasphemy! - a glug of tabasco for that satisfying extra kick.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Options
    thenoise wrote: »

It's one of his less complex recipes, and it's a winner. His version isn't particularly hot though - doesn't have any chilli - so I usually add either a fresh chilli, a bit of powder or - blasphemy! - a glug of tabasco for that satisfying extra kick.

Fresh 🌶 for the win!! (I admit to being a Tabascoaholic) 😉