Less Alcohol - OCTOBER 2019 - One Day at a Time

Options

Replies

• MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,553 Member
    Options
    October week one for me ~ (big celebratory week that I knew drinks were planned.)
    5 AF
    2 A

New week....new goal.
    Plan:
    AF all this week. (Bring on the kombucha!)
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,553 Member
    Options
    Aiming for completely Sober October as part of the Last 90 Days challenge.

10/1 - AF
    10/2 - AF
    10/3 - AF
    10/4 - AF
    10/5 - AF
    10/6 - AF
    10/7 - AF

Who is this 90 day challange with? MFP or something like Beachbody's 90 day?
  • forestdweller1
    forestdweller1 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Life is too uneventful to post. And that's a good thing ! 69 day AF today.

But this is NOT an AF site, it's about moderation....getting to a place where we can choose to have a drink, or not. Lots of nots.
    Slowly coming off the "when I lose enough weight I can start to drink again" mind set. Alcohol is NOT my reward [keep telling myself that...].
    Glad to hear that I'm not the only one who keeps that last bottle, or half bottle, handy. Stops the panic of not having any in case of ...need...??? Even if it is slowly turning to vinegar.
    @MissMay ...Yep, me and Jimmy Carter, we celebrate together.

Gotta go say goodbye to my Northern Magnolia, the tree choppers are here.

Good luck y'all.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    whitpauly wrote: »
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    813 alcohol calories and 32.5 ounces of wine consumed this month and 3 AF days/ 3 non.
    I beat myself up for what I do. I beat myself up for what I don't do. I have to stop punishing myself, for what I am not sure. Anyway, I'm giving myself a 300 calorie budget for the week. Two 6 ounce glasses is at least a plan.

Don't be hard on yourself,shoot I'd drink that much in one DAY so you're doing a fab job💖 I have so many people I wanted to comment to but it's a pain on my phone to remember their exact screen names cuz it's hard to scroll back,grrr! Just wanted to say keep up the good work all,thing of brighter mornings,better sleep,a brain that's sharp and not feeling like it's heavy and throbbing,better skin,better energy,good memories built,weight loss (eventually) so many positive things happen when we cut back or cut alcohol out and definitely no judgement here,trust me I've come back with my tail between my legs disgusted that I drank-its pointless and only make you feel defeated so for me I'd just keep drinking more😭 dumb choice,the people here and on sober squad told me to not feel like a total loser and it felt great not to be lectured and I was able to forgive myself,focus on the positive and keep going! Have a great day all!

Very sweet and true and thank you and you have a great day, too!!! ❤️
  • anglilacs
    anglilacs Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Love catching up on how everyone’s doing. Great job to everyone - even if you didn’t exactly what you planned, you’re here checking in and gaining insights.

6/8 AF days this month

This month has been easier so far than September. I did have a pang yesterday and today because of some sinus pain. For some reason, I associate wine with taking that pain away when it probably actually makes it worse because it dehydrates me. I took some Tylenol (I am allergic to ibuprofen 😩) and it helped.

Looking forward to my girls’ night this Saturday. I really, really just want to keep it to two drinks. I need to come up with a plan on how I’m going to do it. My job is to bring the stuff for the margaritas, but I think I will also bring some fancy seltzer’s and some cranberry juice so I can keep drinking but not alcohol. Let me know if you have any tips!
  • fitand50inSD
    fitand50inSD Posts: 166 Member
    Options

10/1 - AF
    10/2 - AF
    10/3 - AF
    10/4 - AF
    10/5 - AF
    10/6 - AF
    10/7 - AF
    10/8 - AF
  • fitand50inSD
    fitand50inSD Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    MissMay wrote: »

10/1 - AF
    10/2 - AF
    10/3 - AF
    10/4 - AF
    10/5 - AF
    10/6 - AF
    10/7 - AF

Who is this 90 day challange with? MFP or something like Beachbody's 90 day?

Last 90 Days is through Rachel Hollis. She is a motivational speaker and runs a company with her husband called Hollis Co. You can find her on all the social media platiforms. The Last 90 Days is essentially not waiting until January 1 to make improvements in your life. It includes a daily commitment called "5 to Thrive". The 5 things you do everyday are (1) drink half your body weight in oz of water, (2) move your body for at least 30 minutes daily, (3) give up one food group - in my case alcohol, (4) wake up 1 hour earlier and use that time for yourself, and (5) complete your gratitude journal. There is also a goal component to it - visualizing 10 goals you are trying to reach and working to start meeting one of those. There are a couple of Facebook groups related to the challenge - The Last 90 Days and Made for More if you are interested. Rachel and Dave do a very humorous live morning podcast - I have been getting in my 30 minutes of walking while listening to them.
  • ellie117
    ellie117 Posts: 293 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    lilann1961 wrote: »
    So I had my wine tasting party last night. A lot of people ended up not coming due to a rescheduled soccer game (I had intentionally scheduled this for AFTER soccer--go figure). While I controlled the 2oz pours, people showed up at different times, so we kinda went through it multiple times. So I had a lot. I didn't feel drunk, and I drank water after (and was eating relatively healthy throughout it all), but I didn't sleep very well last night and had a bit of the night sweats which had gone away when I stopped drinking.

Overall, I knew that day would be a mind game and I had more than I planned, but what I found was that I was TRULY drinking it socially, not drinking to relax/buzz/cope. I felt different. And today, I don't want any. My mind didn't immediatly stress about my day and do the auto response of "I'll have a drink when I get home." It gives me hope that I can drink socially or have a glass with dinner ever so often without going overboard (i.e. no more drinking at home alone just to drink). Today, I'll stick with my ever faithful coffee maker and SodaStream. They have not steered me wrong yet!!

That is such a good point. The past few months I've been noticing I'm just drinking to drink, just as a habit, not to feel drunk or anything. I would consume all those calories, but not feel relaxed or buzzed. Once this month is over, I think I'm going to aim to just have a glass or two socially, but not pound them back on Friday/Saturday nights like I used to.

Good luck to you!
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,570 Member
    Options
    October 07 - AF
    October 08 - 3 drinks - Tuesday. Canadian Thanksgiving this weekend, already thinking about drinks or drink alternatives for the party day.

Running monthly total: 3AF days out of 8 days so far.
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,570 Member
    Options
    October 07 - AF
    October 08 - 3 drinks - Tuesday. Canadian Thanksgiving this weekend, already thinking about drinks or drink alternatives for the party day.
    October 09 - 3 drinks. Obviously off-track. Normally I have pretty good discipline, didn't plan on having drinks today. Another 1,000+ calories leftover today, lots of skating : - )

Running monthly total: 3AF days out of 8 days so far.
  • TheSunAndTheRainfall
    Options
    Plan2Be wrote: »
    Now, I rarely have a drink before 20:00, habit eh. But I'd started to think of excuses / reasons to go and buy a bottle of wine at 18:00 .... dinner wasn't cooking properly, celebrating my eye appointment, oh anything really.

As it was dinner did in fact come together (chicken and butternut squash curry ... the butternut squash at that point was rock hard) .... and DH came home and said "how's the 3 days without alcohol" ... which loosely translated into ..... "shall we have a drink tonight" ...... that spurred me back into supporting him/supporting me mode, and we both had an AF night :)

And once that 20:00 had passed and I was settled with a pint (or two actually) of sparkling water and raspberry cordial, all was well with the evening :)

Times like these are, I think, so important to remember. When you resolve to have less or no alcohol, you come to these moments, and you convince yourself that you're giving in tonight. 'Hey, you had a good run.' But then, when you put your foot down and say 'No!' it gives you an example to look back on.
    Next time you feel like giving up, you get to say to yourself, "Hey, I've been here before. And look how well I did then!"