Where did you get your workout program?

I need to get a program or purchase a set lifting program to follow. I have a home gym and there for don’t have everything a gym would have. But where did you guys find or purchase your workout program from?

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,707 Member
    edited October 2019
    I trained with an amateur bodybuilding and coach for 2 years when I was in my early 20s.

Plus I've got a collection of books.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited October 2019
    I got my template from experience.

There are many free templates via the internet that are excellant choices.

The more basic ones in the link above can be okay and will do just fine for somebody more novel at resistance training.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,285 Member
    I bought a book on strength training. It had a bunch of exercises for each muscle/group and some sample routines for different levels. I went from there.
  • MaddyT122
    MaddyT122 Posts: 152 Member
    I use BeachBody on Demand. There are lots of programs to choose from.
  • From a book called muscle and strength training Pyramid by Eric helms. I believe u can get it on amazon now.
    The free templates linked above are all fine too
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    From my powerlifting coach.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I started with Strong Curves (from that link above) then moved on to other programs designed by Bret Contreras/Kellie Davis. Now I do my own thing based on those.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    From a book called muscle and strength training Pyramid by Eric helms. I believe u can get it on amazon now.

I haven't read that one as of yet. Don't ask me why.

*add to cart*
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,470 Member
    from my coach.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,470 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    From a book called muscle and strength training Pyramid by Eric helms. I believe u can get it on amazon now.

I haven't read that one as of yet. Don't ask me why.

*add to cart*

it's worth every penny!
  • I've built and my program from years of experience and knowing what works for me...I tweak it daily depending on time constraints as well.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    edited October 2019
    originally from a book called 'body for life' when I was a newb...it also had a 'diet' plan as well. I modified it to suit my life and goals. In fact although most the staple exercises didn't change, the frequency, split, and rep cycle have many times over again depending on what I am chasing. The eating plan is completely out the window now for the most part as I've found other more enjoyable ways to get my calories.
  • thanos5
    thanos5 Posts: 513 Member
    aworkoutroutine.com. i'm doing the beginner workout program.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member
    Stronglifts, free online.

Starting Strength, also free online, but I also bought Rip's books.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,983 Member
    Over the years I've had a couple programs put together by trainers who were familiar with my sport. Other than that, I google what I'm looking for (as an example, when I moved, my little fitness center here mostly just has dumbells and one 3-way machine), so I found a 5-day split that was dumbells only. Granted, I'm about to "outgrow" my little fitness center, so am starting shopping around for a gym, but there's lots of free programs out there, generally not too hard to find with a little internet sleuthing.

That being said, if you're not familiar with/good at using proper form in various exercises, working with a trainer a few times would be a worthwhile investment.
  • PennyP312
    PennyP312 Posts: 161 Member
    Just started juggernaut power building AI program. Needed something mindless that someone wrote for me. $27 every 4 weeks.

Have run starting strength, PHUL, and programs written by a powerlifting coach ( not to compete, just to get strong).
    There are a lot of good, free resources if your just starting out. The link in the above post is a good place to start!
    Have fun!!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Stronglifts is the base of mine. I like it because it's only 5 main lifts and doesn't use any machines or equipment I don't have. My gym only has bars, plates, and body bars...benches, squat racks, deadlift platforms. I've added accessories like pull-ups, hip thrusts, and single leg squats, but the majority of my lifts are the main 4(probably don't do rows as much as I should).
  • ChrisCatMama
    ChrisCatMama Posts: 1,038 Member
    I started with dvds several years ago. (Leslie Sansone walking workouts) came across Darebee.com and I’ve been hooked since!
  • RockChick_Sarah
    RockChick_Sarah Posts: 4 Member
    beachbody on demand for mainly the body beast or les mills on demand for body combat