Unsuccessful transition

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    There is some "thinking" around that reacting to too large of a deficit for our present circumstances (usually with subsequent over-eating) is a moral (or psychological) failing. This neglects that actual physical and hormonal changes are introduced during deficit eating and ignores the fact that these become magnified as we get leaner and as the deficits become larger when compared to our TDEE and our available energy reserves.

I firmly believe that we would probably be better off NOT triggering any of these reactions in the first place (hence my common suggestion of modest deficits over longer periods of time and avoidance of pushing into very low levels of energy reserves especially when exercising a lot). But, if these things didn't happen... these posts wouldn't be needed! :wink:

I am not aware of any remedy other than moderating exercise, allowing for managed regain (some times, for example, some rapid initial regain may be desirable), and for time to pass. I suppose that at some point hormone level restoration/management may become available from our health providers... but we're not there yet!

Still waiting for the "magical bullet". Not holding my breathe! 🤢
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    edited October 2019
    @umbramirror I really, really don't want to project any of my personal paranoia or bias onto you, but if you feel the way you did at the gym for a while, especially after you resume a more ordered eating pattern, I highly recommend you get all your vitamin and mineral levels checked for deficiencies. Unfortunately, it's hard to tell which vitamins a body is lacking without blood tests, because the symptoms for MOST of the deficiencies are the same grouping of insomnia, nausea, vertigo, cramping, etc that are easy to brush off as an "off day" for like... 6 months straight. (Seriously. Please don't try to tough it out if your symptoms don't improve.)

In the meantime, if you're not already, a quality multi vitamin can be extremely helpful if your version of calorie restriction involves eating a lot of the same foods over and over, because it's just easier to log that way. ;-) (I had to make a RULE for myself that only ONE MEAL A DAY was allowed to be a protein shake, unless I had a doctor's note. :P So, I'm not accusing you of anything, I'm just tattling on myself.)
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Licorice root is the single best herb for the adrenals, but should not be taken if you have high blood pressure since it can cause a 15 point increase in BP for some people.

There is a TCM (traditional chineese medicine) blend called Nervous Fatigue that is also great for adrenals and does not have anything that might increase blood pressure.

2 weeks is not really enough time to put on a significant amount of fat. Most of what you have gained is likely water, so don't panic.

Put down the guilt. Face the future. Start again.
  • umbramirror
    umbramirror Posts: 256 Member
    @ElizabethKalmbach, thank you again for the concern but I only felt those symptoms for a portion of one day following my last binge and they were not reoccuring. If they did last for quite some time, I would definitely see a doctor. Thank you again for your advice and supplied information.

@cheryldumais, congratulations on losing 108 lbs! Wow, that's incredible. As far as your current weight goes, how do you feel about that? Do you feel like you're at a healthy weight even though you gained some since your lower point? Even though we are both the same height, we likely have very different body types, so what is healthy for me (still figuring that out obviously!) may not be the same for you. For some at our height, an even lower weight than mine is considered healthy and even higher than your current weight as well. A major factor is the body fat to lean muscle mass ratio.

Thank you so much for the support and I will definitely keep everyone posted on how I'm doing. I've been feeling much better since my first post. The water weight has gone down significantly, and I'm finally feeling lighter. My clothes are still a bit tight and I do feel larger still, but fortunately I have more energy again. I feel liberated. I probably won't weigh myself until the end of this week or next.

@tcunbeliever, thank you for all of this information, I will definitely take it into consideration. And thank you for the words of encouragement. The panic is finally starting to ease, thankfully! I really do hope I didn't gain a significant amount of fat though.
  • umbramirror
    umbramirror Posts: 256 Member
    @GaleHawkins, I'm happy that you found a method that works for you! That must have taken some serious dedication and perseverance. I'm still experimenting with what constitutes a balance in life and I hope I can one day find as much comfort in that as you have. Thanks for the inspiration!

@AnnPT77, You're right, I do know that most of what I likely gained isn't fat (I never weighed myself to know how much I actually did gain so this is all estimation) but I don't really know how much of it is. I really packed away the food these past 2 weeks, let me tell you! I believe I had about 8 binges in 17 days, so about half these past 2 1/2 weeks was spent binging. It's embarassing, but on the weekends, I almost wouldn't stop eating. It was almost like a contest with myself to see how much I could consume. I would be sick and in physical pain but still consume food. It was uncontrollable and terrible. I wouldn't be surprised if I did eat enough to gain 5 real pounds of fat. I did exercise as I always do each day without fail except this past Sunday. I just couldn't do it.

Thank you for the reality check though. I likely did only gain about 3 lbs or so. Ha, I say "only" but damn, that's a lot for 2 weeks. There was a point when that was a lot to lose in 1 week, but I've gained it so easily. I did decide to ease up on the exercise but I'm having trouble increasing the calories. It is difficult for me to fill my stomach after what I did to it, but I'm trying my best.

I definitely don't plan on making any radical changes. Thanks for the heads up!